Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epcot Icon

Question Epcot Icon

I have the book Walt Disney Imagineering and on page73 there is a picture in the bottom right hand corner of an early model of epcot. But the Icon in the model is not spaceship earth but some sort of tower as the park icon. Can someone tell me about the icon and if someone has pictures of this proposed plan?

Have a supercalifragilisticexpialidocious day!

Re: Epcot Icon

The book may have been talking about the original plans for EPCOT as a community and not a park, I could be wrong, but that makes the most sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by CowofDisney View Post
    The book may have been talking about the original plans for EPCOT as a community and not a park, I could be wrong, but that makes the most sense to me.

No, this is when it was planned to be a park. On the model it is labeled world showcase and future world. I believe this is one of the icons that Ray Bradbury helped design.

• May the F=ma be with you

The tower that you are referring to was supposed to be an office building and housing complex. The idea that Walt invisioned was for people to live, work and play in this Experimental, Prototype, Community of Tomorrow.
    WDI didn't think it was such a good idea, so they changed the [lans and added SSE as the park icon.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

I will try to get the picture from the book up.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW Monorail View Post
    The tower that you are referring to was supposed to be an office building and housing complex. The idea that Walt invisioned was for people to live, work and play in this Experimental, Prototype, Community of Tomorrow.
    WDI didn't think it was such a good idea, so they changed the [lans and added SSE as the park icon.

No, this is a model of when it was planned to be a park. It's a tower with six large legs holding up the building part of the tower.

• Banned User

This sounds like something from westcot v3.5 through just prior to DCA...

maybe it was an idea for epcot.. then they changed it to the heosphere... being held u by 6 legs

From what I've been led to understand, the picture you are referring to is a spatial model of the park. This means that it is a very early conceptual model that is meant to give an estimate on the size and complexity of the Epcot project. At this stage, no building takes on it's intended form, however the building is meant to take up the intended space. The Icon is most likely an early concept landmark. I actually think that I've seen this before, in a Herb Ryman concept painting. I can't remember for sure if it's in the Imagineering book, or if it's in the Architecture of Reassurance book.

Hope that helps.
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

On the Walt Disney treasures dvd tomorrowland there is an interview with Ray Bradbury. During the interview they show a clip of Ray Bradbury pointing at a detailed model of the tower.
    Last edited by TBAAFAN; 11-26-2006 at 06:02 PM.

• Super Old Guy

While I have no specific knowledge of this building, I can say that there are many many versions of just about everything Disney designs, from animated characters to theme park rides and buildings. Seems like you just saw an early version that got modified into what we have now.

Over the course of planning and design, things change a lot. Originally Epcot was to be right at the Ticket & Transportation Center pretty much where a good chunk of Magic Kingdom Parking lot sits as well as where the Wilderness lodge sits.

The location was changed and the design was changed several times. At one point the spere we all know now as Spacehip Earth was really just a domed structure, not a complete sphere. Concepts change in the design process and changes are made.

Originally there was to be a movie related pavilion in Future World. The ideas for that grew and the result was an entirely new theme park - Disney-MGM Studios In World Showcase, an Equatorial Africa pavilion was planned, well that also grew to become a theme park as well - Disney's Animal Kingdom.

Before a building or park is actually built, it's design will change several times. Space Mountain was originally conceived for Disneyland, but the project grew and was implemented first at The Magic Kingdom. Early drawings also show parts of the track being outdoors.

Thanks for the help. I just wanted to know what happened to this idea because from what I have seen it would have been very nice.
    Last edited by TBAAFAN; 11-27-2006 at 11:37 AM.

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by ti2gr View Post

Originally there was to be a movie related pavilion in Future World. The ideas for that grew and the result was an entirely new theme park - Disney-MGM Studios In World Showcase, an Equatorial Africa pavilion was planned, well that also grew to become a theme park as well - Disney's Animal Kingdom.
    Hmmm.. The rumor I've heard was that the Studios was WDC's attempt to
    out-do Universal. Similarly, AK was attempt to coopt Busch Gardens.

I've also heard that one of the reasons why "Equatorial Africa" was never
    built was that WDC could not find an African country to sponsor it. (Similar to
    the proposed Russia/USSR).

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nish221 View Post
    I've also heard that one of the reasons why "Equatorial Africa" was never
    built was that WDC could not find an African country to sponsor it. (Similar to
    the proposed Russia/USSR).
    They found the companies, the problem was where they were from. The companies interested were from South Africa. Disney did not want to be associated with the corporations due to the apartheid.

THis is the picture. The tower is the thing on water with six legs and what looks like a monorail track running thrue it.
    Last edited by TBAAFAN; 11-27-2006 at 12:47 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast