• Vehicle rotating backward

Deluxe newbie question: Yacht Club VS Contemporary VS Swan

My idea of an acceptable WDW hotel is Pop Century. However, my Dad is one to not make sacrifices. This is the guy who not only booked the Disneyland Hotel for a week, but had a specific tower demand and then was not satisfied until he requested a move to a room that faced DL's parking lot so he could watch the Monorails come and go and I could gawk at the Matterhorn each night. These champagne dreams did not pass on to me, the cheapskate. So obviously, POP Century is a bad idea just because I'm willing to pay for it. "NO. You're not cheaping out on us again!"

(My frugal attitude has led us to some true dumps in the DLR area. I thought after our latest DL trip where I booked the excellent Candy Cane Inn would have softened Dad to my low-cost lodging decisions. Guess not.)

So Dad threw out a list of demands for what he wants in a WDW hotel, and I came to three resorts: Yacht Club, Swan and Contemporary. Beach Club used to be in there but I sent pictures to Dad and he immediately shot that hotel down because "that looks ugly." But Yacht doesn't? Okay then.

My questions:

I guess my first question is have those nice renovated rooms come to the wing rooms at Contemporary yet or not? On bang-for-buck, Contemporary looks good, and my Dad is one of those guys who is in love with it for it's classy monorail setup, so he'll probably enjoy "staying at the Contemporary" even if it's not in the tower. But, we are not looking to spend time in George Jetson's nightmare, so it's either the refurbished rooms or another hotel.

The second question is what kind of service are we going to receive at Swan? How much "magic" is there compared to Yacht Club? IIRC Yacht Club is one of the more typical, less colorful Disney resorts. Is Swan even moreso? I never walked into either of them on my visit, so other than "you shouldn't dismiss Beach Club out of hand like that" I had nothing to say.

Thanks. In the meantime, I'll try to talk my father down to Riverside or something.

• Banned User

Re: Deluxe newbie question: Yacht Club VS Contemporary VS Swan

all the rooms in the contemporary have been finished and yes they are nice however you will have to deal with construction issues staying there. I have stayed at the yacht club and it's nice but not that much different from the beach club rooms except the rooms have more of a sailboat motif. also I don't think they have been upgraded with the new tv's yet. I haven't stayed at the swan so I can't help you there but remember the swan isn't owned by disney if that makes a difference to your dad.

• Irrational Mr. Toad Fan

Remember that there's no extra magic hours at the Swan. I'd go for the Yacht Club for sure.

• World Traveler

The Swan is a very "business" hotel type, so if you want the Disney experience, go for either of the other two.

If your dad loves the monorail - as I do - go for the Contemporary, and you can't beat the location of it. Also, being on the monorail loop gives you the option of visiting the Polynesian and Grand Floridian without much difficulty.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ecdlanddude View Post
    Remember that there's no extra magic hours at the Swan. I'd go for the Yacht Club for sure.
    um... swan and dolphin are the only non Disney owned and run hotels that have Extra magic hours...

I know people who stayed there and enjoyed them with their key cards...

contemp is nice no matter where and what view.. and if you want to cheapen out, go for "the garden wing" it's cheaper than the tower, and has the same privileges and such.

Blog Entries

This is the guy who not only booked the Disneyland Hotel for a week, but had a specific tower demand and then was not satisfied until he requested a move to a room that faced DL's parking lot so he could watch the Monorails come and go and I could gawk at the Matterhorn each night.
    I wish I had had your dad growing up. We always had to stay in the cheapest place we could find in Kissimmee when going to WDW as a kid. I guess it didn't matter because a WDW vacation was amazing to me as a child either way, but it sure would have been nice.

I would think if your dad was this much of a stickler of rooms that he would want a tower room with a view of the Magic Kingdom. Those really are some amazing views from the pictures I've seen, but they are very expensive.

• 88 mph

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986 View Post
    um... swan and dolphin are the only non Disney owned and run hotels that have Extra magic hours...

I know people who stayed there and enjoyed them with their key cards...

contemp is nice no matter where and what view.. and if you want to cheapen out, go for "the garden wing" it's cheaper than the tower, and has the same privileges and such.
    Confirmed. Called them myself. they have extra magic hours.
    Only thing Swan DOESN'T have if it mattered is the Magical Express.

I wish I had a Dad like yours.

• Irrational Mr. Toad Fan

I guess my source was wrong, sorry!

• Pixiedust?

I love the Contemporary. I stayed there 2 years ago & I just love it because the monorail goes through it so you never really have to move your car unless you decide to go somewhere outside of Disney. But also because it makes it a lot more convient to get to place to place. I've never stayed at the Swan or Yacht Club, but the Animal Kingdom Lodge is pretty cool too, especially the Savannah rooms. I'm staying at the Polynesian this upcoming summer & am really excited because my best friend stayed there & said it was great, so I'm ecstatic to go down there too. =)

.. a dream is a wish your heart makes

My order would be Contemporary (for location, California Grill, and amazing high end new rooms ... nostalgia too as there's something very kewl about the monorail pasing thru the Grand Canyon Concourse) ... followed by Swan (more adult, best beds on Disney property, excellent location, walking distance to TWO Disney parks, one of the best pools on property and lots of dining options nearby that would likely make dad happy!) ... Yacht Club would be my last choice as I've had issues there in the past with poor upkeep and management indifference to problems, that said the pros would be (great pool area, best Disney steakhouse on property, upscale feel, great location ...same pros as Swan).

And just because I like correcting the Young 'Uns ... Figgy is incorrect, the Swan and Dolphin are NOT the only non-WDW owned resorts to allow for EMH entry ... Shades of Green does as does the DD Hilton.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania View Post
    My questions:

I guess my first question is have those nice renovated rooms come to the wing rooms at Contemporary yet or not? On bang-for-buck, Contemporary looks good, and my Dad is one of those guys who is in love with it for it's classy monorail setup, so he'll probably enjoy "staying at the Contemporary" even if it's not in the tower. But, we are not looking to spend time in George Jetson's nightmare, so it's either the refurbished rooms or another hotel.

The second question is what kind of service are we going to receive at Swan? How much "magic" is there compared to Yacht Club? IIRC Yacht Club is one of the more typical, less colorful Disney resorts. Is Swan even moreso? I never walked into either of them on my visit, so other than "you shouldn't dismiss Beach Club out of hand like that" I had nothing to say.

Thanks. In the meantime, I'll try to talk my father down to Riverside or something.
    To answer your questions specifically ... all rooms at Contemporary have been refurbed and are ultra-modern in a 'W' type look. The rooms in the South Wing are no different than the regular tower rooms except for view and price.

The North Garden Wing is closed and is being gutted to get ready for DVC conversion.

To me, there's as much 'magic' at the Swan (if not more so) than the YC. Swan is lighter and brighter ... all rooms and hallways were rehabbed completely and feature the amazing Heavenly Beds. The resort is more colorful than the YC, which features dark woods and fabrics. You'll also get better service at Swan because it is run by Starwood and not Disney.

Finally, you cheap, cheap, cheap MouseFan ... don't scrimp and force your dad into staying at Riverside. Not cool ...

• I may be nutz...but...

Cool Re: Deluxe newbie question: Yacht Club VS Contemporary VS Swan

We have always stayed at the Contemporary, in the tower on the concierge level with a Magic Kingdom view. We are like your dad, if we are going to go, then we want the best. We are fortunate in that we can afford pretty much anything we want, so we go for the great view, plus the amenites of concierge service and lounge. You get food and booking help. On top of that we always go with the Planinum package as well, that really gives you the VIP package, EVERYTHING and I mean, EVERYTHING is included. If dad is paying and he wants the BEST this is the way to go. It is FANTASTIC!!!!!!!! Check with a travel agent and ask about the Platinum Package. It is VERY EXPENSIVE but we find it to be worth it and would NEVER go any other way. Hope that helps.
    sues

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

I'll be the lone person on the thread to say that the Yacht Club was incredible and we fell in love with it. We preferred both the aesthetic feel of it AND the great location (back entrance to Epcot) to the others we were deciding between. We spent 7 nights there a couple years ago, and we can't wait to go back again someday...you know...after we climb out of bankrupcy. The Contemporary doesn't do anything for me in terms of layout, although the view from the restaurant on top was amazing. But between the stroll over to Epcot, Beaches and Cream (yum!), Water access to MGM, Monorail Access to Magic Kingdom, the amazing pool, the Boardwalk with shops and restaurants across the way,and just overall vibe of the place, I would pick Yacht Club over the other two any day of the week and twice on Sundays. So...it all depends on your druthers.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by localdisnyfan View Post
    I'll be the lone person on the thread to say that the Yacht Club was incredible and we fell in love with it. We preferred both the aesthetic feel of it AND the great location (back entrance to Epcot) to the others we were deciding between. We spent 7 nights there a couple years ago, and we can't wait to go back again someday...you know...after we climb out of bankrupcy. The Contemporary doesn't do anything for me in terms of layout, although the view from the restaurant on top was amazing. But between the stroll over to Epcot, Beaches and Cream (yum!), Water access to MGM, Monorail Access to Magic Kingdom, the amazing pool, the Boardwalk with shops and restaurants across the way,and just overall vibe of the place, I would pick Yacht Club over the other two any day of the week and twice on Sundays. So...it all depends on your druthers.
    Are we there yacht? The beaches...the boats...the waterslides...the dining... I am so there!
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!