1 Day Disneyworld Trip - Is it do-able?

Hello All!!

I need your help. My company announced that they are having the company christmas party at their offices near Orlando this year (I'm from the west coast). Which means I will have 1 day and 1 night at Disneyworld after the party. What should I do? I've been to WDW before and I frequently go to Disneyland with my kids. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. For instance, for only one night is it worth staying onsite? How are the crowds around the middle of the month? Anyways please help me out.

Thanks,
    Sean

Re: 1 Day Disneyworld Trip - Is it do-able?

Its worth it, but best to stick with one park, or split your time between Epcot and MK (since the monorail goes between its a fast commute). For optimal convenience, stay at Poly, Contemp, or Grand Floridian (if you have the budget) since they are also on the monorail line. This way you get optimal time in one or two parks, and not spend alot of time waiting for and riding the buses. If its a slow day you can get a lot done.

• Why can't you tune a fish

I assume you will have no kids with you ? Then you will be able to move a lot faster.

You say you have been before, how long ago and what did you see?

Also, what days are you going ? EMH may make a difference on what you choose to do.

I would stay on property, and since its only one night, go for one of the ones that FLtoCali mentioned. They are on the Monorail line. Since you are not paying airfare, spend the extra $$$ and get more time in the parks.

I know what I would do, because I know what I like. I don't know what you like - but with some planning you can cram a lot into the time you have.

-dave

Thanks for the replies. I am thinking the epcot- switch too although I looked up the hours for Dec. 16 ( That's the date I can go) and they seem like they are not yet on Christmas schedule. I am worried that schools will be out and it may be a bit crowded. I went to WDW about 4 years ago w/ the kids. Thanks for the monorail tip. I hadn't even thought about that.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I always do one day trips. Well technically 2 since I drive up in the afternoon the day before, stay overnight and then go to whatever park I decide to go to (and then drive home that night). I'll be doing it again in mid/late January.

• Mousketeer

When I do the short trips, I try to concentrate on seeing things that have changed since my last visit, or, are more unique to WDW. I mostly skip the Magic Kingdom, and spend more time at Epcot and DAK. I went to MGM just to see the Walt exhibit, and then went to Epcot. So if you focus you can do it.

Blog Entries

I'd either just pick one park and stick with it or maybe do two parks. If it were me I'd head to Animal Kingdom as soon as it opened and run towards Everest since I haven't had a chance to ride it yet. I'd ride that and then hope to catch the nemo show since I haven't seen that yet either. I'd then leave and head to either Magic Kingdom or Epcot depending on what I wanted that day.

If it's going to be a busy time of the year when you're there though I'd pick either Epcot or Magic Kingdom and just spend the whole day there. You'll need it.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

IMHO, the Studios and AK can be done, if focused, in one day.

However, I love to 'stroll' in Epcot and it's size isn't exactly condusive to one day touring.

And MK is pretty big by comparison.

Seriously, I'd say go to one park and stay there. That way, you're not wasting energy thinking about how to get around all the resorts.

But, like someone said, we don't know you very well--what do you like? Some people are into shopping and meadering. Some like to dart from attraction to attraction.

Peace out in whatever you decide!
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

Blog Entries

I've easily done all of Epcot in one day before, the same as Magic Kingdom but that was during the slow period in January. During December, I think you could still do Epcot in one day, but doing everything in the Magic Kingdom would be a bit tough.

As for AK and MGM you could probably hit both of these in one day if you skipped some of the smaller things.

Personally, I'd concentrate on enjoying the Christmas stuff. Osborne Lights, Illuminations special ending, Lights of Winter and the Storytellers in World Showcase.

Is your company paying for you to fly cross country for a Christmas Party? Wowser. If not, why not extend your trip a night or two and see even more? Also, I'd make sure you can actually get flights that are conducive to what you want to do. That often hampers me, if I'm looking for nonstops (I'm in a smaller market, and right now, I have to leave the resort about noon to catch the last non-stop flight home).

Just remember that DEC 16 is a weekend and at WDW they call Fridays florida fridays for the people that always come for the weekend. Also depending what park or parks you visit try to pick rides that are close for the fastpass option to ride one while using the fastpass for the other one. The worse park for fastpass rides that runout quick is at Epcot on Soaring and TestTrack. If you want to ride those rides at Epcot go right when it opens since Future World opens at 9am at World Showcase doesn't open until 11am.
    Hope this helps.

• Stitch to the Rescue

DAK can be done in 3 hours if you hit the attractions and skip the ancillary stuff. MGM is another one that can be knocked out in short order. EC is a 2 day park at the least. I would do DAK and then MGM.

• Me and Tommy Kirk

Club.33, I agree with the other posters and suggest sticking with MK or EPCOT. Personally, I pick EPCOT. Especially since you're from the west coast like I am. The Yacht Club, Beach Club or the Boardwalk are awesome places to stay if they're available, and walking distance to the World Showcase part of EPCOT. If you have kids with you, you can buy the passports for them and visit each country and have them stamped and signed with the languages for each pavillion. Very cool! Living Seas would be fun to check out as well before our Sub. Voyage opens back up at Disneyland!

Have fun on your trip!

Thank You All for the great posts. There is nothing available in Disney resorts for that night so I have booked the Dolphin which is, I hear, close to epcot. I really want to get to everest so I will probably start the day at DAK. Is the Nemo show worth staying for also? Then I think its off to world showcase for the afternoon ( My wife and I want to work our way through the countries). Soaring isn't much of a draw because It's the same as in DCA? If time permits we will end the night at MK. The studios are having extra magic hours. What exactly does that mean? Is it worth going their. I worked at Disnyeland for about 6 years so really this trip is a highlights trip. I can bounce around. One last thing. In your humble opinions what is the must see christmas stuff in the parks and at the hotels. We have some time on Sunday to cruise the hotels to see the best holiday stuff.
    Again...Thanks for all your help!!

I almost forgot....best place for dinner? Why?

Thanks,
    Club.33