• Having a Grand Day!

Widescreen Televisions at WL, Poly, Contemp.

This is a very dnc question (i.e. an issue that doesn't matter to most but bugs off to no end) - but with the new Widescreen Televisions at the aforementioned resorts, are they hooked up to proper High Definition Tuners and display available footage in HD (i.e. 16:9 Widescreen). If the previous question is true (which I hope it is, other wise Disney would have commited the most heinous Widescreen TV Crime EVER), are the Televisions pillarbox 4:3 (non widescreen) content so it presented in it's true aspect ratio, or is is stretched (2nd most heinous Widescreen TV Crime).

Thanks for your time .

• Banned User

Re: Widescreen Televisions at WL, Poly, Contemp.

most channels looked like they were the proper aspect ratio....

some channels might have been altered.. but they were appearing to be proper at the contemp.

• Having a Grand Day!

Thanks Figment - I've been meaning to ask this question for a while. As soon as I saw those TV's going In I had a gut feeling they were not going to set them up properly. Have the resort channels (top 7, etc.) been made widescreen yet?

• Banned User

I could be mistaken, but I believe they showed up as widescreen i the room i was in last time...

I did not really watch that much tv though. they might have some HD channels and some stretched channels...

and I dont actually have a HD TV at home yet, so its hard to tell...

DNC:

I was the Wilderness Lodge on Aug 14 for my Girlfriends birthday. We stayed in a newly rennovated room with one of the widescreen flatscreen TV's.

No - they do not broadcast any HD content (which seems odd, since I know at least ESPN has an HD counterpart).

Yes, unless you fiddle with the settings (which you can change with the remote) all the content is stretched to fill the 16:9 screen... ruining a native 4:3 image.

But like I said - you can change these settings, which is one of the first things I did when I got into the room.

Again, that is of Aug 14, 2006.

• Banned User

Was it possable that they still have to get a new central cable system in to do HDTV? They did have the resort up and running while changing over... and many rooms still had (until October 1) Standard (or olde) TVs

• Vehicle rotating backward

Any hotel that has widescreen TVs around here will present 4:3 content stretched. That's the way it is, since people just hate windowboxing.

Even Wynn LV, which is just possibly the most technologically state of the art hotel in the US if not the planet, presents SD channels in stretch, however they also offer all the local stations' HD channels as well as a few cable HD networks at the far end of their programming list, and those show up fine.

(OT:

Seriously, if you're a tech geek going to Vegas, you need to go spend some time in a room at Wynn, because they made an incredible deal with the cable company to basically do everything digitally. The TVs have some interactive menus and a web-based programming guide you can navigate on your remote, the entire hotel's phone system is VoIP, the aforementioned HDTV and some incredible broadband speed (details including speed test although the guy caught it on opening week when they were having problems and never found the HD channels that were there each of the three times I've stayed there).)

If Disney pulled something like that, it'd knock my socks off, but since the hotels are basically there to service the parks rather than be a destination themselves, I wouldn't expect it.
    Last edited by MickeyMania; 12-04-2006 at 02:22 PM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania View Post
    ...and some incredible broadband speed...

...If Disney pulled something like that, it'd knock my socks off, but since the hotels are basically there to service the parks rather than be a destination themselves, I wouldn't expect it.
    Did i mention that the connection in the room at contemp was fast.. I was uploading my photos VIA ether net cable rather than wifi, and it was uploading fater than at home... and i never resized the images for that... and uploading the resized for the forum to photobucket was fast even when uploading the images to my site.

Did i mention, the computer in the room is ok, nothing special.. just internet and really thats it. and its not much internet either...
    (charge extra for every room.. raise the rates like $5 or $10 for each room... then give internet free... your already giving the computers in the rooms...)

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986 View Post
    I was uploading my photos VIA ether net cable rather than wifi, and it was uploading fater than at home...
    I'm sure the hotel connection is probably faster than what you have at home, but even if the internet connections were both lightning fast, a cable would be significantly faster than wi-fi. Wired cables are generally going to go faster than wireless when uncapped, although most internet providers don't provide homes with speeds fast enough to max out what wi-fi can do, which is why in most places wi-fi is just as fast as a wired cable.

Did i mention, the computer in the room is ok, nothing special.. just internet and really thats it. and its not much internet either...
    (charge extra for every room.. raise the rates like $5 or $10 for each room... then give internet free... your already giving the computers in the rooms...)
    Huh? They put actual workstations in rooms?

• Banned User

Dear contemporary guest,
    We hope you enjoy your stay at Walt Disney world resort.

In keeping true to the pioneering vision of Walt Disney, we are in the early stages of participating in a test pilot program for a new technology that will enable our guests to access various Disney services and sites. This is “Disney’s Online Concierge” and will be available soon at the resort…

Till then here’s a computer with 2 free sites and $10 internet access for everything else

• Having a Grand Day!

Any hotel that has widescreen TVs around here will present 4:3 content stretched. That's the way it is, since people just hate windowboxing.
    This type of attitude is absolutely stupid - content should always be presented in it's original aspect ratio whenever possible - no cropping, no stretching. If you don't agree, you should have your 16:9 television confiscated until you learn. Simple.

The onus is on Disney to provide content as well - they need to upgrade their distribution system to support HD (cabling should not be an issue), and they at least need to migrate the internal channels from analouge (NTSC is shocking... Still can't understand why they chose it over PAL) to 16:9 SD.
    Here endeth the rant on an obscure topic (I have too many of these ).

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986 View Post
    Dear contemporary guest,
    We hope you enjoy your stay at Walt Disney world resort.

In keeping true to the pioneering vision of Walt Disney, we are in the early stages of participating in a test pilot program for a new technology that will enable our guests to access various Disney services and sites. This is “Disney’s Online Concierge” and will be available soon at the resort…

Till then here’s a computer with 2 free sites and $10 internet access for everything else

I think it would be a great addition to the Convention Resorts (I'm guessing that's who these terminals are aimed at) to have the Terminals in each of the rooms - I hope they can get their act together so we can see “Disney’s Online Concierge” soon.

• Drunk On Disney

I stayed at the Poly and the Contemp when they first upgraded and everything was stretched to make the picture fit the screen. I changed it on the remote because I can't stand a TV making people look fatter.

Quote Originally Posted by drnilescrane View Post
    This type of attitude is absolutely stupid - content should always be presented in it's original aspect ratio whenever possible - no cropping, no stretching. If you don't agree, you should have your 16:9 television confiscated until you learn. Simple.
    At home, our set has a mode called Wide Zoom that uses a method of stretch (at the far edges only, meaning almost the entire screen looks 'normal' and everything that isn't normal is only subtly so) plus zoom to make the picture appear almost widescreen-native, although if you're watching something like a sports ticker you can see scrolling letters on the far edges stretch just a little bit.

they need to upgrade their distribution system to support HD
    Why? There's almost no Disney owned channels that operate in HD except the ABC affiliate I guess, so it's not really in their best interest. Someday when everything goes digital, they'll be ready, but there's no reason they have to give everyone 1080i just because the set CAN.

For all you know they might have put the sets there for guests to connect their cameras and laptops up to, as they can take advantage of a high-resolution screen, too. And in the meantime, as more things go widescreen or at least letterbox (Conan O'brien is letterbox even in SD, for instance, so you can use zoom and it fills the screen) they'll be ready there, too.