Thread: Hotel advice

• Basking in birthday love

Hotel advice

As you may have heard, Sadako and I are heading to WDW for a few days in January. We're looking at hotels, and I'm honestly not sure which to pick. I'm leaning toward the moderate level hotels, but Pop Century and Animal Kingdom Lodge are also options.

So help us out. What hotels have you stayed at, and what did you think of them?

• xmanmom

Re: Hotel advice

I have only ever stayed at one hotel but I absolutely LURVED it! Animal Kingdom Lodge, all the way. Even if you can't afford anything more than a Standard View room (looking at trees and no animals) I think it is totally worth it. Who knows, you might even get upgraded to a pool or savanna view. Even if your room doesn't have a savanna view you can walk out to different viewing areas or walk the hallways as they have windows looking out on the savannas. We did the hallway walking thing one night and got to see three giraffes feeding at a tree right outside the window. It was wonderful! Our room was huge and comfy and some of the best restaurants in the whole resort are in the hotel.

We originally were going to stay at a Moderate but when I realized that for something like $300 more for the whole week we could stay at AKL I jumped at it.

• It was not ME

There is a huge difference between Animal Kingdom Lodge and Pop Century but there is also a difference in price to. My wife and kids really like Animal Kingdom for the animals and the pool. I like the animal kingdom lodge for the atmosphere it feels like a resort that you can just relax at, unlike some of the value or moderate resorts that feel like a place you just sleep at.

Something else you might think about it renting points from a Disney Vacation Club member and then stay at one of the DVC Resort, all of which are really nice. Most members rent out points anywhere from $8 to $12 a point, in January you should be able to stay at Old Key West in a studio for for about $90 a night during the week and about $210 on friday and saturday night.

• Basking in birthday love

Quote Originally Posted by lisaboo View Post
    I have only ever stayed at one hotel but I absolutely LURVED it! Animal Kingdom Lodge, all the way. Even if you can't afford anything more than a Standard View room (looking at trees and no animals) I think it is totally worth it. Who knows, you might even get upgraded to a pool or savanna view. Even if your room doesn't have a savanna view you can walk out to different viewing areas or walk the hallways as they have windows looking out on the savannas. We did the hallway walking thing one night and got to see three giraffes feeding at a tree right outside the window. It was wonderful! Our room was huge and comfy and some of the best restaurants in the whole resort are in the hotel.

We originally were going to stay at a Moderate but when I realized that for something like $300 more for the whole week we could stay at AKL I jumped at it.
    The price difference between the Moderates (which are all the same price) and AKL is about $150 for the trip, with an upgrade to savannah view costing about $90. CM discounts rock. Thanks for the input.

Anyone ever stay at one of the Moderates?

• Minion

I've stayed at two moderates: Caribbean Beach and Coronado Springs. Between the two, my preference was for Coronado Springs, but CB was nice too. I think there's a Micechatter, forget his name, who's stayed at nearly every resort at WDW and prefers CS above the others. Have to go now, but I'll do some digging later to try and find out who that mystery person is!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I've only stayed at the hotels on Hotel Plaza Drive... the Grosvenor & Hilton... but they were all nice. I'm staying at the Royal Plaza in January.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

If you can get a great rate at AKL I'd say go for it! We had breakfast there in August and it's just so gorgeous! I never wanted to stay there, because of location, until we visited it, now I'd love to stay there!!

I've stayed at CBR and CSR and I like the theming at CBR beach, just more my taste. But we had a great room and stay at CSR, both are nice. I'd check the photos out at www.allearnet.com and pick out which suites your taste the best!

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Disneyholic

Bottom Line: You get what you pay for.

Given the choice of staying at a deluxe resort and a value resort I would choose he deluxe every time. I have had several friends stay at AK lodge and I have visited there a few times myself and it is excellent. Be sure to speak to the cast members they really like to share stories about the animals and thier native contries, many vistors seem to ignore them and its really one of those hidden gems of the resort. I would also strongly reccomend the Wilderness lodge if your looking for a lesser cost deluxe hotel, it is excellent and I have stayed there several times.

I have stayed at both CB and Coranodo Springs moderates, they are both ok but bus service left much to be desired, if you are staying there or at a value resort I would reccomend rening a car, I believe they give you special parking priviliges if not AMEX or Triple A will as well. The moderate and value resorts hold more people than the delux so bus ervice can be dodgy and or crouded.

I stoped by the Pop century to visit a friend while we where both down there and we waited a good 45 minutes for a bus back to the Magic Kingdom. (add 20 mins walking to the bus, and the ride took well over an hour and a half to get there...) The rooms where smaller and there is no table service restarant on site which is a consideration if you are using the meal plan. Also no internet and the other deluxe ammenities if you need those on your trip.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

animal kingdom lodge is great. I also second the notion that you look into ways of trimming the cost of the room (AAA, Vacation Club...etc.) I was never any good at this hunt, but my girlfriend has a bit of a 'gift' of searching things out. Have fun.

• Mouse Extra Dave

If price is not an issue, and kudos to you if that's the case, then I would point you to the Boarwalk. It is a gorgeous place, with the most dining options and fun by far of any resort on property. Also you can walk to MGM and Epcot, eliminating the need for buses to those parks.

If you want a mod price, I'd look at POFQ. That's the best one to me with CBR being the next best.

If you hit my site below, it's brand new so things are compiling, but there are reviews and photos of BW and CBR.

Good luck!
    "You are not the first to pass this way..."
    Mouse Extra
    feeding the Disney addiction daily
    http://www.mouseextra.com/

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by dsnylndmom View Post
    If you can get a great rate at AKL I'd say go for it! We had breakfast there in August and it's just so gorgeous! I never wanted to stay there, because of location, until we visited it, now I'd love to stay there!!

I've stayed at CBR and CSR and I like the theming at CBR beach, just more my taste. But we had a great room and stay at CSR, both are nice. I'd check the photos out at www.allearnet.com and pick out which suites your taste the best!
    http://www.allearsnet.com/ is a great site! I used that site extensively when planning our vacation in Feb.

• World Traveler

My suggestion is to get the best hotel you can afford. They are all great hotels, but if you can afford to stay at a Deluxe property, do so.

• Pixiedust?

The best room at the Animal Kingdom Lodge is the Savannah view rooms. They may be more exspensive than the regular type room, but seeing the animals every morning is a unique experience. Just putting in my input since I haven't stayed anywhere besides the AKL & Contemporary. But I would go for the AKL if you can afford it into your budget because it is definately worth it. =)

.. a dream is a wish your heart makes

• insufferable know-it-all

We had a great time at the Caribbean Beach on the MiceChat trip. I think our room was in the Aruba section, which was a nice direct walk across the bridge to centertown (food court!)

The refillable mugs were awesome.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• The one, the only...

I don't suggest Pop Century unless you yourself are traveling with kids. There are more kids running around at Pop Century and the other value resorts.

I have stayed at Port Orleans, both Riverside and French Quarter. Both were great experiences. I did stay at a Deluxe resort, Wilderness Lodge. It had a relaxing national park feeling. It was fantastic. Animal Kingdom lodge is wonderful if you love animals and the African theme. Boma is a delight as a restaurant.

There are many wonderful choices at WDW. You have to keep coming back to experience them all! LOL
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!