Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

What's this About a Strike?

ORDDU: My sisters and I just conjured up a vague report within our crystal ball about Walt Disney World Cast members on strike--as a way of protesting the outsourcing of certain jobs within the company. Do any of you sweet little ducklings out there have any more information on this rather unpleasant story? We really aren't clear on the details and don't know what to make of the whole situation.

• Banned User

Re: What's this About a Strike?

i thought i heard something about a rally but not a strike. there was an article in the orlando paper about it. actually disney has outsourced jobs off and on since they opened. it just wasn't common knowledge. I think eventually they will realise that it might be saving money but causing other problems and go back to hiring their own. but outsourcing is a fact of life these days. it's cheaper for one company to handle payroll for several corporations than to have one corportation do their own. not that disney has outsourced payroll, it's just an example. I think however as they outsource more and more jobs the unions are becoming concerned and the regular employees are as well.

• Banned User

I don't know anything about a strike. If any CMs do strike, I refuse to support them.

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: My sisters and I just conjured up a vague report within our crystal ball about Walt Disney World Cast members on strike--as a way of protesting the outsourcing of certain jobs within the company. Do any of you sweet little ducklings out there have any more information on this rather unpleasant story? We really aren't clear on the details and don't know what to make of the whole situation.
    I didn't think that CM could strike, its in the contract with the union no striking. Plus Florida is a right to work state.
    http://www.buriedriches.com

http://playitontheweb.com

Miss Ec

1997 - Cosmic Rays Cafe - MK
    1998 - PDC 2000 - MK
    1999- Electric Umbrella - Epcot
    1999-Flyte Team Futrure World - Epcot
    2000- All Star Movies - Food Court

• Minion

ORDDU: Thank you for your responses, ducklings. It may not have been an actual strike--although there were certainly scenes of cast members carrying picket signs of protest. And we remember something about non union employees being mentioned.

• World Traveler

Yes, I read that there was to be some protest near the Crossroads entrance. Good luck to them!

• Yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Missec View Post
    Plus Florida is a right to work state.
    A lot of people seem to forget about this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by larasound View Post
    am I the burrito man?

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by evilqueenrocks View Post
    A lot of people seem to forget about this one.
    Since when do unions need solid reasons to cause a stink?

I didn't think that CM could strike, its in the contract with the union no striking. Plus Florida is a right to work state.
    Well, if 70% of CMs just didn't show up one day, WDW would be in deep doo-doo.

Quote Originally Posted by fkurucz View Post
    Well, if 70% of CMs just didn't show up one day, WDW would be in deep doo-doo.
    I agree if 70% didnt show up they truly would be in deep doo-doo.

I was there when the bus drivers all decided to get sick on the same day. You would have thought it would have slowed disney down. But it didnt, the busses was running, They hired an outside compay. It only slowed them down by about 2 hours.
    http://www.buriedriches.com

http://playitontheweb.com

Miss Ec

1997 - Cosmic Rays Cafe - MK
    1998 - PDC 2000 - MK
    1999- Electric Umbrella - Epcot
    1999-Flyte Team Futrure World - Epcot
    2000- All Star Movies - Food Court

• Yes?

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Since when do unions need solid reasons to cause a stink?
    Never.

I agree if 70% didnt show up they truly would be in deep doo-doo.

I was there when the bus drivers all decided to get sick on the same day. You would have thought it would have slowed disney down. But it didnt, the busses was running, They hired an outside compay. It only slowed them down by about 2 hours.
    I would expect a company as large as Disney to have contingency plans ready for this kind of thing especially since they are dealing with a union.
    Last edited by EvilQueenRocks; 12-10-2006 at 07:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by larasound View Post
    am I the burrito man?

• Pilot EdForceOne

besides... no one has stated how this side of disney is setup.. as a union shop.. open shop.. closed shop.. etc.

Right to work simply means you can be fired for not being in the union. It does not prevent setups requiring union membership or equivalent dues paid. It simply means if the union kicks you out (or you opt out afterwards) the union can't demand you get fired. They can still demand you join the union at the start of the job.

They held a "rally" yesterday. Here is the article from the Sentinel.
    http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...adlines-orange

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    besides... no one has stated how this side of disney is setup.. as a union shop.. open shop.. closed shop.. etc.

Right to work simply means you can be fired for not being in the union. It does not prevent setups requiring union membership or equivalent dues paid. It simply means if the union kicks you out (or you opt out afterwards) the union can't demand you get fired. They can still demand you join the union at the start of the job.
    Umm, no. Right to work means that it is illegal in the state of Florida for you to be required to join any type of union. The union at Disney is entirely optional. Although the union will still affect any unionized position, even if you're paying union dues or not.

You're also entitled to anything the union does, even if you don't pay squat to the union. For example, if you were to get fired from Disney and you were in a unionized position and you didn't pay union dues, you could still request a union rep at your termination hearing to support you.

There is no such thing as a as a union shop.. open shop.. closed shop.. in the state of FL, it's all the same thing.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by captsmith84 View Post
    Umm, no. Right to work means that it is illegal in the state of Florida for you to be required to join any type of union.
    Sorry, you are correct. I was mixing up what the Taft+ act allowed vs what the right to work laws closed off. Late night + medications = bad mix

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast