• Vehicle rotating backward

Question Kennedy Space Center?

Dad threw this request on my lap ("it'd at least be nice to go see that vehicle construction building or something."), and my knowledge on Central FL is limited exclusively to the World so I have no idea of how we'd get to there, how much it would cost, when in the week (Jan 24-31 is our dates) is the best time to go, etc. We're staying on property and I was basically expecting us to drown in Disney until we leave, so I wasn't at all prepared for this.

What do I need to know? If it's unreasonable I can just say so.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Re: Kennedy Space Center?

Its shy of an hour east from Disney. I don't know of tour shuttles, but I would image there are some. For one day.. I'd consider a rental car.

You can spend a full day there pretty easily. If you are into aeronautics at all, its a cool place. Scale is the key.. everything is MASSIVE.

Visitor's page
    http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/...sit/index.html

You'll also probably want to plan your trip around one of the tours
    http://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/vi...ours/index.asp

The complex is huge and there are various things spread around to see.

It's a cool place if you've never been - but its not something you goto each year

• Banned User

Kennedy Space Center is a big bore for me. But most older folks (like my parents) seem to be interested in that subject matter.
    To get there from WDW rather easy. Hop on I-4 going east, then get off at the Beeline (also called the BeachLine) expressway and stay there, pass countless toll booths and the airport, continue east and you will soon see directional signs showing you the way to the Space center's visitor area.
    If yout dad must go.. the IMAX movies are fun, and so are the tours around the property, but beware.. they get technical and a bit tiring since some of them lastabout 2 hours.. and you are shuffling from one tour bus to the next during stopovers in the tour route.
    I say.. go try it once and make up yoour own mind if you think it's worth visiting again in the future. And yes.. this is not Disney quality but more like a museum style atteaction with little things to do in the process. Some extra charges may apply for some of the attractions.

• World Traveler

I also suggest you rent a car. If you plan your visit on a Thursday, Saturday or a Sunday, you can also drive a few miles south to Port Canaveral and see one of the Disney Cruise ships from the outside. (They don't allow guests that are not sailing.)

• It was not ME

There is a tons to see if you like space, if you are not really into space, then mission space at Epcot should cover you. It was really cool when I was younger, and my kids who are 5 and 7 loved it, but I did not think it was as cool as it was when I was that age. There are no launchs or landings scheduled for the time you are going to be in Florida, but the tours are cool, alot to look at and there is a good chance the shuttle will be in the Vehicle Assembly Building. If you have never been, they have alot to see.

It can take anywhere from an hour to an hour and half to drive there, so you can figure you are going to kill most of the day. Also Disney does not offer any shuttle there so you are going to rent a car, you might think about driving to KSC in the morning and in the same day go to Cocoa Beach since you will only be about 20 mintues from it, that way if you dont like KSC you have not wasted the day.

• Mouse Extra Dave

For me, this place is terrific, and if you are interested in the history of manned space filght it is worth seeing at least once. But it is basically a museum, albeit an incredibly large museum.

I would highly suggest the tour that chronicles the early history of the cape. It brings you to the lauch area for the Mercury program and the pad where the Apollo 1 fire took place. It is a great, extensive tour.
    "You are not the first to pass this way..."
    Mouse Extra
    feeding the Disney addiction daily
    http://www.mouseextra.com/

• Vehicle rotating backward

If you ask my Dad how something on the shuttle works, you'll soon be asleep from his lecture, so this sounds like the kind of thing that is up his alley.

It feels, to me, like an unfortunate use of a whole WDW day, so we'll just have to hash it out if we want to go there or not.

• Banned User

Oh, be nice to pops and take him there.

• Mouse Extra Dave

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Oh, be nice to pops and take him there.
    What he said! Respect your elders
    "You are not the first to pass this way..."
    Mouse Extra
    feeding the Disney addiction daily
    http://www.mouseextra.com/

• Former CM

You can also get tips from the concierge at the resort you are staying at. They have tiomes and prices there for you.