Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Minion

New Parade for Epcot

ORDDU: Greetings to all you Yuletide ducklings out there--who are in the midst of eating your figgy puddings. My sisters and I have decided to stop stirring over our cauldrons long enough to let you in on some new information regarding Epcot's next parade--supposedly coming in Oct. 2007. Yesterday, while spending the entire day with a gorgeous hunk friend of ours--who used to perform in Tapestry of Dreams and Nations--he told us the latest plans.

ORWEN: For a while, those Management types in Entertainment were planning to give Epcot an all new parade by 2007. Then they went back to the drawing boards and decided to save themselves some money by recycling Tapestry all over again. This did not make us happy when we heard about it.

ORDDU: Apparently it didn't make OSHA very happy, either. Due to a 35% injury rate to cast members who performed in both Tapesty of Dreams and Nations, OSHA decided to lay down the law to Disney and NOT let them proceed with their plans to recycle either version of Tapestry. Instead, they would have to come up with a whole new concept for a parade at Epcot--one that would not involve so many potential injuries to performers.

ORWEN: We never used to know about it before, but it was often very hard for performers to control their various puppets whenever a wind gust would come up. So many of those puppets were tall and easily buffeted about by strong winds. It meant the cast members had to do a lot of unnatural twisting and turning to keep control--which resulted in various injuries.

ORDDU: One of those injured was the very same gorgeous hunk whom we were just mentioning, earlier, since he used to be an entertainer in both Tapestry of Nations and Dreams. His injuries were only minor, thank goodness. But since he was one of the original cast members to perform in Tapestry, he was invited back to perform in whatever Epcot's next parade is to be. That's when he found out the newest information regarding OSHA's refusal to allow a recycled Tapestry.

ORWEN: So, as of now, we can expect a whole new parade for Epcot in 2007--assuming those Management types in Entertainment don't just change their minds about having a parade at Epcot altogether!!!

• time to go

Re: New Parade for Epcot

So the executive arses in TDO knew that Tapestry had a 35% injury rate for its performers, but decided to recycle the parade for Epcot's 25th to save some bucks anyway? Thankfully OSHA stepped in and nixed the plans.

This kind of 'disposable rag' sentiment regarding the parks and resorts cast members must end. And all of it begins at the top.

Rasulo and Weiss and their puppet executives must go. Profits made on the injured backs of Disney's working class is wrong. I'm sick and tired of it all.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• Pilot EdForceOne

I often wonder about some of this. Why would OSHA be involved in something that was still in the planning stages? I would assume it would be more that disney was scared of OSHA complaints.

Where in the world is OSHA a PROACTIVE agency? They set standards and enforce them.. not going around reviewing future plans.

Sorry, not trying to pick on you Witches.. but I can see how this terminology gets twisted into 'disney lore'

• Banned User

i dont think its disney lore, I think someone notified osha and they did some looking into things. everytime there is an injury it has to be documented even a small one. so it's on the record. also its just possible an entertainer found out about their plans and filed a complaint.

• Minion

ORDDU: Very good question, all the same, flynnibus, duckling. My sisters and I will get back to the source of our information and see if we can learn more. It may be a few days, though. In the meantime, I think cmash95 has offered a very plausible explanation to carry us along until then.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

everytime there is an injury it has to be documented even a small one.
    And that is the rule at every workplace in the country. If you're injured while on your place of employment's property, even if you're coming to/from work or just eating lunch, it has to be documented.

One night when I was leaving the office when I worked for a big mortgage company, I accidentally cut 2 fingers on a metal trash can by the door when I was throwing some trash in my purse away (the flap you push in got stuck and then came crashing down). Even though I was already done working for the day and on my way out, it had to be documented (worker's comp laws). They even paid for my 2 visits to the med center because the stupid things wouldn't stop bleeding, plus I had to get a tetanus shot since I was cut by a metal thing.

• Yes?

Just for arguments sake, and No, I am NOT trying to start one, does EPCOT really need a parade? I don't feel like I'm missing anything since it doesn't. I miss the character bus more than a parade. The parades just seem to do nothing but cause crowd control issues and fights betwwen guests who think they can just walk up and stand in front of you because they just realized "Oh look the parade is starting, let's watch it" no matter how long others have been waiting just because they paid for their ticket as well. Sorry, I digressed there but that kind of thing just really irks me!
    Quote Originally Posted by larasound View Post
    am I the burrito man?

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Cmash95 View Post
    i dont think its disney lore, I think someone notified osha and they did some looking into things. everytime there is an injury it has to be documented even a small one.
    Sure.. but osha doesn't usually get involved unless someone files a complaint or there is a significant incident. Twisted/strained wrists I doubt would throw a automatic flag And this would have been for the old show. How does osha get involved before something is even decided (new parade). That's what I'm talking about.

also its just possible an entertainer found out about their plans and filed a complaint.
    This certainly seems feasible.. Sure sounds like a sure fire way NOT to get picked for the next parade

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by evilqueenrocks View Post
    Just for arguments sake, and No, I am NOT trying to start one, does EPCOT really need a parade?
    I agree to an extent.. where do you run this? Through world showcase? Seems kinda odd if it doesn't fit the lands. Along the front of world showcase lagoon? Not a very long 'drag' there.

Where did they run this previously?

• Yes?

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Where did they run this previously?
    I think it ran around the World Showcase Lagoon. It made World Showcase pretty much impossible to enter during the parade. Which is why I don't think EPCOT needs a parade. It's not a parade kind of park, IMO. Again, I am not sure...I can barely remember Tapestry...Anyone else know for sure on this one?
    am I the burrito man?

• Minion

ORDDU: From what we recall, there were actually two different parades running at the same time with 2 different routes--at least for the original parade--Tapestry of Nations. One came out between Morocco and Japan, if memory properly serves. The other one--I believe--came out between Mexico and Norway. There may have been some overlapping of routes but it's been a long time since we saw the original parade so it's hard to say. But it does seem that the first parade played to a wider audience around World showcase than the second version did.

ORWEN: As to whether or not Epcot really needs a parade at all, I guess it depends on your personal tastes. I'd like to see one--just because it adds a lot of character to the park and you can never have to much of that.

ORGOCH: Don't matter none ta me--long as I can go on ketchin' frogs whilst the rest of ya's flirts with Figments a yer immaginations...

• See you there!

Quote Originally Posted by evilqueenrocks View Post
    I think it ran around the World Showcase Lagoon. It made World Showcase pretty much impossible to enter during the parade. Which is why I don't think EPCOT needs a parade. It's not a parade kind of park, IMO. Again, I am not sure...I can barely remember Tapestry...Anyone else know for sure on this one?
    Wasn't the parade something like two or three parades that started simultaneously in different parts around the WS and ended in a different part. I think one of the parts started/ended at the gates between Morocco and France.

I agree, I do not feel EPCOT needs a parade, it jsut seems to cause crowd issues. People waiting, the actual parade and then getting the people out of the way after. I never liked Tapastry because just too many crowd issues.

I really hope they do not put another parade in.

Just MHO, YMMV

CU@DL

Andy

flynnibus, maybe OSHA is getting involved because the same equipment was going to be used? Maybe they looked into past incidents and decided that the show equipment was unsafe and nixed the equipment, which by default nixed the parade? Just thinking out loud here.

And for having a parade in general, unless some serious thought is given to Guest flow, I'd almost have to agree with no parade. I think a great parade could be done in Epcot, but it would virtually shut down half of the park.

• Minion

ORWEN: Yes, it may have actually been 3 different parades to begin with instead of just two. I remember having to be in constant touch with our friend who performed in it--just so'd we know for sure which gate to wait by when he came out. Sometimes he'd be switched to another gate at the last minute.

ORDDU: But the recycled version only had one gate to come out of, since there was only the one parade. It was a lot less confusing and a lot less congested with that one.

• Yes?

Quote Originally Posted by AEGuy42 View Post
    And for having a parade in general, unless some serious thought is given to Guest flow, I'd almost have to agree with no parade. I think a great parade could be done in Epcot, but it would virtually shut down half of the park.
    Yep, my thoughts exactly! As with any parade at any of the parks you get trapped somewhere after they start. And I go to Epcot mostly for World Showcase with the exception of a few things in Future World that my 5 year old can't live without seeing.
    am I the burrito man?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast