Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Having a Grand Day!

Contemporary Renovations

http://www.magicalmountain.net/WDWNe...asp?NewsID=806

FINALLY! CM Mike's least favorite resort is going in for rehab. (Then again his favorite is the Swan\Dolphin so I don't know whether to trust his awful architectural taste.)

No more Pastel Hell! Looking at that picture, the room actually is Contemporary!

Up until now, the Contemporary has always been my second choice because of the loud colors, the horribly dated south (Is that right) atrium with the shops, the horribly cluttered north atrium trying to pack 3 restaurants into a space that could happily hold one (without all the signage, divisions and roofs, rather a restaurant that is open plan and is designed to make full use of a atrium 10 stories high), the lobby turns you right off as soon as you get out of the car in the Porte Cochere (look at the Animal Kingdom lodge to see how to do a lobby), the Wings are just plain awful and the landscaping department needs to be fired quick!

The resort is a hard one to work with, and the concrete facade is never going to be fixed, but that does not mean it cant be a great, stylish contemporary hotel. It should stop trying to be hip on the interior and just be cool and modern.

The future is not pastels with steel highlights. They also have gone to far with the wave shapes (waves are OK when used lightly for visual contrast rather than on everything. I prefer squared off geometric shapes.

This renovation could boost it to the number 1 spot if done correctly and judging by the pic from the Demo room, it is.

I'm very pleased and have high hopes. This is the only hotel in the world that has a monorail straight through the center and it's already off to a good start, all it needs is a major cosmetic re-think and it could be the best.
    Last edited by drnilescrane; 05-21-2005 at 04:47 AM.

• Former Epcot CM

Wow. That room looks so nice. Hey, what is the going rate at the Contemporary per night?
    Shiny and New

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California

July 2012 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

The rooms look much better. More upscale ... and dare I say, contemporary.
    They remind me a bit of the new Swan and Dolphin rooms. I love the resort and look forward to staying there when the renovations are complete.

• Santa Barbara, CA

It's looks like a room from the trendy, but handsome "W". Now it stands for Walt.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Uber Disney freak! șOș

VERY nice. Heck, I'll finally stay at the Contemporary once I'm guaranteed a room that looks like THAT instead of the cheesefest they have now! And I don't even WANT to be that close to the MK! lol
    -Ann

WDW:
    July 1987 - offsite, 1-day visit to the MK; July-August 2000 - honeymoon - Port Orleans (now POFQ); May 2003 - Caribbean Beach Resort; Dec 2003 - Coronado Springs; April 2004 - Pop Century (PC) & POFQ; Sept 2004 - Animal Kingdom Lodge; May 2005 - Port Orleans Riverside; Sept 2005 - PC; Oct 2006 - POFQ; Apr 2007 - PC; July 2007 - Boardwalk Villas (WOO HOO! I was at WDW in the MK on the 20th anniversary of my first visit!); August - Sept 2007 - Old Key West; Sept 2007 - Saratoga Springs; Oct 2007 - BWV; Mar-Apr 2008 - SS

DLR:
    Dec 2001 - Grand Californian; Jan 2005 - GC; July 2005 - HoJo Anaheim & GC; Dec 2008 - Best Western Park Place Inn

p.s. Wanna buy a ?

I have to give Disney credit. Their recent remodels have all been upgrades. From the CBR to both halfs of PO to the Yacht Club (to the Swan and Dolphin, which is Starwood not Disney), all were enhanced substantially. I hope this is a sign of things to come. My only concern is that they MAINTAIN the new rooms (at CBR, they haven't) and that updates are more frequent. For the wear and tear these resorts have (likely second only to Vegas), they really need to be thorougly overhauled about every 5 years. I know from staying at Pop Century a few times last year (its first year open) that guests really trash those rooms.

• Having a Grand Day!

They realy should buy back the Swan and Dolphin. Micheal's been wanting to do it for 21 years, but the Starwood group have been refusing just to spite him. (They should also remove all the 'official' hotels IMHO. Keep it all Disney.)

• Having a Grand Day!

Can somebody with access to WDWNEWS.com post the press release and the sample images provided for both the Poly and the Contemporary?

• Uber Disney freak! șOș

Quote Originally Posted by drnilescrane
    They realy should buy back the Swan and Dolphin.
    I don't believe Disney ever owned those hotels. Just the land. Am I wrong?
    -Ann

WDW:
    July 1987 - offsite, 1-day visit to the MK; July-August 2000 - honeymoon - Port Orleans (now POFQ); May 2003 - Caribbean Beach Resort; Dec 2003 - Coronado Springs; April 2004 - Pop Century (PC) & POFQ; Sept 2004 - Animal Kingdom Lodge; May 2005 - Port Orleans Riverside; Sept 2005 - PC; Oct 2006 - POFQ; Apr 2007 - PC; July 2007 - Boardwalk Villas (WOO HOO! I was at WDW in the MK on the 20th anniversary of my first visit!); August - Sept 2007 - Old Key West; Sept 2007 - Saratoga Springs; Oct 2007 - BWV; Mar-Apr 2008 - SS

DLR:
    Dec 2001 - Grand Californian; Jan 2005 - GC; July 2005 - HoJo Anaheim & GC; Dec 2008 - Best Western Park Place Inn

p.s. Wanna buy a ?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by drnilescrane
    Can somebody with access to WDWNEWS.com post the press release and the sample images provided for both the Poly and the Contemporary?
    No press release exists from WDWnews.com that I am aware of. Only the photo of the Polynesian rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by Labuda
    I don't believe Disney ever owned those hotels. Just the land. Am I wrong?
    Nope. You are correct. Disney never owned them.

BTW Iggy, there's lots of good eating at dem resorts!

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Labuda
    And I don't even WANT to be that close to the MK! lol
    Awww, c'mon - you can't imagine how cool it is to get up in the morning, look out your window, and see the incredible activity around the Seven Seas Lagoon. Monorails circling, ferrys ferrying, and the park itself just starting to gear up for another day! And the evenings are even better - the lights of the MK are incredibly cool from up in the Contemporary!!!

^^^Foiled again. Drat ... Dan's right!

Can't wait to try out the Contemporary when all the work is done.

• Uber Disney freak! șOș

Well, I'll look forward to that when the refurb is done and I make my first visit to the Contemporary. But, I *still* don't have a desire to be THAT close to the MK. Put me near Epcot or DAK!
    -Ann

WDW:

DLR:

p.s. Wanna buy a ?

The renovation is hotel-wide and will run about $70 million including new costumes. There were a number of factors driving the massive rehab including water running down one of the stairs in the lobby making the stairs look like a water fall during last fall's hurricane. In addition to that is that four major business-class convention hotels have taken the lead when it comes to conventions and guest service - The Peabody, Ritz-Carlton, JW Marriott, Gaylord Palms with the Omni Orlando in the running. In terms of business class hotels, these 4 are blowing away the competition. The Hilton, Wyndham Palace, Swan/Dolphin, Hyatt and the others are suffering greatly. As one person put it, its difficult to take seriously someone wearing a purple jacket.

David H

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast