Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WDW Rumor: SSE

• Banned User

SSE is a good ride.. (thought needs a referbishment to make the track less noise.. (4 Y/O didn't want to ride it.. so i missed it..)

I would love for Microsoft to sponsor it.. hehe...

"This ride has performed an Illegal operation and will be shut down.... please remain seated while we reboot the system..."

SSE may need a rehab. And new scenes and effects. Definitely a new ending ... and a postshow. What a travesty that they took Earth Station away. Folks leave the ride into a darkened building with plywood walls everywhere. Boy, makes the future sound like an outlet mall gone bad.

If they can't find a sponsor, Disney needs to spend its own money and make the attraction the centerpiece of the Epcot experience.

Or they could just replace it with a rolley coaster to make all those WalMart lovers happy.

• IZTUAZU!!!

If they can keep the music in it, I'm all for a refurb of everything else inside of SSE.
    J.B. Opie

"Doubt is the rust of a feeble mind. The only way to seize the future is to grasp the present. Let's Go!"

-Chairman Clench, Alien Encounter

• Self Congratulative

The last time I rode, the other people around me getting off were saying things like "I heard this ride is getting ready to fall apart" and "someone died on this ride."

While I, frequenting theme parks a lot, usually find these people who 'make up' these rumors to impress the people around them humorous, it does say a bit about what most people see in that ride; a slow, aging, attraction.

While I'm all for preserving nostalgia, I think at least the track needs to be fixed. Also, the lighting gels have lost their color and have giving the dramatic lighting a sort of "bland" feel.

• Race Car Driver

Well, I for one liked the ride......
    ..... I thought it was neat.
    There did not seem to be any problems with it when I was on it.
    Yes, it is fast....

No, you can't drive IT.

Drive it like it's stolen.

• Uber Disney freak! șOș

When's the last time you rode it, snacks? I rode earlier this month and it was horrid - poor SSE! And last year's trips not much better except the ride wasn't quite as rough & loud as it was this year.
    -Ann

WDW:
    July 1987 - offsite, 1-day visit to the MK; July-August 2000 - honeymoon - Port Orleans (now POFQ); May 2003 - Caribbean Beach Resort; Dec 2003 - Coronado Springs; April 2004 - Pop Century (PC) & POFQ; Sept 2004 - Animal Kingdom Lodge; May 2005 - Port Orleans Riverside; Sept 2005 - PC; Oct 2006 - POFQ; Apr 2007 - PC; July 2007 - Boardwalk Villas (WOO HOO! I was at WDW in the MK on the 20th anniversary of my first visit!); August - Sept 2007 - Old Key West; Sept 2007 - Saratoga Springs; Oct 2007 - BWV; Mar-Apr 2008 - SS

DLR:
    Dec 2001 - Grand Californian; Jan 2005 - GC; July 2005 - HoJo Anaheim & GC; Dec 2008 - Best Western Park Place Inn

p.s. Wanna buy a ?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse princess
    The last couple of years that I have ebbn going, it never fails that it breaksdown momentarily when I m on it.
    For the most part, these stops are not breakdowns. They're stops to accomodate a handicapped person who can't get on or off in the allotted time.

• Leave 'em wanting more!

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung
    For the most part, these stops are not breakdowns. They're stops to accomodate a handicapped person who can't get on or off in the allotted time.
    Yup! I was just on the attraction and loved it - but boy did it need an update!

Additionally, this:

"After they went digging through the schematics and also a look through of the ride, they realized that if they take the ride out of SSE it will mess up the structual integrity of the ball."

...sounds like typical Cast Member rumors. It might be true, but I am a CM at Disneyland and we have similar rumors. My favorite: On the day of Orientation they actually told us they couldn't drain the submarine lagoon because the Matterhorn would collapse. Oy vey.

So just take anything an attractions CM says about a ride's engineering with a grain of salt.

- FNDA
    ~ Tasty, yet morally ambiguous! ~

• Banned User

Ummm, someone DID die on Spaceship Earth. Bascically, someone tried to get out when the ride was stopped (on decent) They got out on the wrong side, and the gears sliced off the person's leg. They were rushed to the hospital, and later pronounced dead.

And as for Spaceship Earth... it's as solid as a rock. The structure is fine as it is. However, if you were to add in a thrill ride to it, you would not be able to tear down the current walls, as many of them support the structure. Instead, the ride would need to use the current flow, with possibly a wall cut out here and there if needed.

It's entirely possible for a thrill ride to go in. I'm not really for it. I'm only for updating the scene with Egyptians and the first use of paper and perhaps a new ending... A couple years back they found out China had paper long before Egypt, and the ride has still not been updated.

Though, I think adding humor into the current SE is the way to go!

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries
    I think eastern airlines should sponsor it, they could do some good.

Now listen to the soothing music of the Turtles....
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Tui
    I think eastern airlines should sponsor it, they could do some good.

Now listen to the soothing music of the Turtles....
    Like they did good for the MK ride.... hehe

I love the simpsons....

(our goal is world domination...)

I think Microsoft should sponsor it... (then advertise how windows doesn't...."Remain seated please.. This ride has performed an Illeagal operation and will need to be rebooted... Thank you..")

• Carousel Theater Host

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    And as for Spaceship Earth... it's as solid as a rock. The structure is fine as it is. However, if you were to add in a thrill ride to it, you would not be able to tear down the current walls, as many of them support the structure. Instead, the ride would need to use the current flow, with possibly a wall cut out here and there if needed.
    That is the main problem with changing Spaceship Earth into a thrill ride. It is built to house a slow moving ride.

Let us not forget Disney's last attempt at converting a slow moving ride into a fast thrill ride. In Disneyland's 1998 Tomorrowland update, the Rocket Rods (a fast moving ride) was placed on the old Peoplemover track (a slow moving ride), without modifying the track.

Right away, the old Peoplemover track began crumbling under the stress of the vibrations from the fast moving Rocket Rods. Ultimately, the entire attraction had to be scrapped after only a year. Much like the Peoplemover track at Disneyland, Spaceship Earth's flow and structure is unable to support the vibrations created by fast moving vehicles.

If a fast moving ride were to be put into Spaceship Earth, the structure may crumble, and Disney would have to tear it down, losing the main icon of EPCOT. It would be just like losing the castle in the Magic Kingdom.

My ultimate hope is for the survival of Spaceship Earth in its current form, as it is my favorite ride at EPCOT. I hope that a maintenance budget is approved soon to slightly update and refurb the attraction so it can shine as the center piece of Future World once again.

• Miranda Lambert and Me!

I still think that they could put a thrill ride in it. I just don't think they should do it though. You should never take out a parks signature ride. Just refurb it to make it better. Anyways, if they did put a thrill ride in SSE, what would it be like and how would it be themed?
    Listen to me on the radio!

us101country.com Fridays- 9p-12m ET and Saturdays- 7p-10p ET

981thelegend.com Monday-Friday - 12m-6a ET

rock105.net Sundays - 10p-12m ET

You can also visit my DJ blog HERE!
    Also, I have a Myspace- CLICK HERE

• Omnimover Groover

no thrill ride

SSE is fine as a slow moving attraction.
    Having that many AA's in any one attraction is now a VERY RARE thing.

Moderate updates and freshening of scenes, sets and lighting - yes, go for it.
    Otherwise, let it be.....
    People aren't successful because they have never failed.....they are successful because failing hasn't stopped them.

• e komo mai

I hear the name for the refurb of SSE is called 'Project Gemini'. Love that name.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast