Thread: Disney Brand

Disney Brand

Just had to write the following for school (I'm working on my MBA). Thought you guys might get a kick out of it, or that it might be food for thought/debate.

Case 2-2, Question #1 (Chapter 2, Page 63): Is Disney’s level of emphasis on anticipating the behavior of its guests appropriate, or does the company expend too much effort in this area? Explain your answer.

It is extremely appropriate. In line with Joseph M. Juran’s perspective on the need for planning and for quality as a differentiator, Disney’s resorts, from their inception, have been strategically positioned as providing exceptional service. As other competitors (e.g. theme parks, hotels, resorts) have learned from and adapted to the Disney model, it is imperative for Disney to continue to provide a vacation experience that transcends all others.

Part of the strategic theory behind the Disney approach is immersion - for example, the pine needles imported to DisneyWorld’s Wilderness Lodge. Walt Disney, inspired by his frustration over the cheap carnivals to which he had taken his daughters, wanted to create a location (e.g. California’s Disneyland) that the whole family could enjoy and which would bear no reminders of the outside world, its cares, or its concerns. Consequently, the expectation has been set for 50+ years that the Disney vacation experience will be unlike any other – how much of this branding will be reality and how much will be hyperbole depends entirely on the emphasis Disney places on anticipating guest behavior.

Consequently, Disney’s dominance of the travel market (both domestically and internationally) and its ability to charge higher prices depend in great part on anticipating and accommodating guest behaviors, desires, and needs. The investment of time and research into guest behavior pays off directly in terms of branding and market share.
    Last edited by redtornado; 01-01-2007 at 04:58 PM.

Re: Disney Brand

Welcome to MiceChat.
    Interesting...

• Why can't you tune a fish

Welcome to MBA land - I happen to live there too.

I for one would like to see what Disneys business model and long range plan is. We (the general we) all talk of what Disney is doing wrong and what they are doing right. The question is, what are they trying to acheive?

And no, something as general as "to be the best" is NOt a mission statement or vision. Such business goals should be SMART - Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and Tangible. Without knowing what Senior Managements goals are, it is very difficult to determine if their actions are correct in relation to those goals.

-dave

I will be glad when I get to leave MBA-land - it's not Fantasyland, that's for sure! Interesting stuff I'm learning, but I always feel like I've got something hanging over my head to do!

And I agree 100% with what you wrote about SMART goals and the need for clear direction from leadership. I would be curious to see Disney's long and short term goals as well. I fear that they might be far-removed from the comments I made about Uncle Walt's vision for guest relations. I think theoretically Disney still sees the market advantage to preserving that vision, but I wonder if financial (e.g. expense) goals are aligned in opposition to the guest piece.

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by redtornado View Post
    I will be glad when I get to leave MBA-land - it's not Fantasyland, that's for sure! Interesting stuff I'm learning, but I always feel like I've got something hanging over my head to do!

And I agree 100% with what you wrote about SMART goals and the need for clear direction from leadership. I would be curious to see Disney's long and short term goals as well. I fear that they might be far-removed from the comments I made about Uncle Walt's vision for guest relations. I think theoretically Disney still sees the market advantage to preserving that vision, but I wonder if financial (e.g. expense) goals are aligned in opposition to the guest piece.

My MBA-land is on-line. I have a real hard time starting each new course. I like the free time between them. I know what you mean about stuff hanging over your head.

You really do have to wonder what goes on at the upper levels. Yeah, they are concerend with the profits shown by the theme park units, but they really have no idea about cheese sauce availablity at cosmic rays.

I work for a large telecommunications company, and am firmly in middle management. I have the perspectve of seeing what the line workers think is important and what the VPs think is importatnt (they dont let me talk to the CFO, CEO, etc ) Both have valid ideas, but they are comming from two seperate viewpoints. I am sure Dinsey is much the same way.

-dave

You and me both! My MBA is on-line with some classroom time (two days every six weeks) - I love the camaraderie with my classmates, but I really find it difficult to get motivated when each term starts. There's just so little break. I have two more terms after this one - wahoo!

I work in corporate at a large hospital system, and you words about the different levels of awareness between and executives and operating staff are so very true. No doubt the same thing exists at Disney. The hierarchy prevents executives from hearing the observations of front line employees and from front line employees seeing the big picture a good executive might see. It would be truly amazing if someone could figure out how to bridge that divide!!