Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Self Congratulative

EPCOT: the Evil Pixar Crap of Tomorrow

My last post prompted me to discuss this. Personally, I feel CG animation in its present form is a short lasting trend. This is very arguable, I know, due to the simple fact of the duration of hand-drawn animation. It just seems that in its present form, CG looks to be a one trick pony, like 4D movies at parks(script of 4D movie: splash water, throw some 3D stuff around at the viewer, blast some air at them, done).

I just recently quit my animation career. I loved it, but seriously, that job market is wayyy to oversaturated now. I don't think Disney is fooling anyone. They are cheapening their brand with mass amounts of Pixar and CGI support. Eisner's coments about hand drawn animation as being dead is moronic. Seriously, did they all sit there and really think that Home on the Range was going to be an animation blockbuster? If so, that's enough reason right there as to why they shouldn't be working for Disney anymore.

Before I REALLY start going, what are your opinions as to the mass Pixar-ification of the resorts. Does anyone share my opinion that the focus is being lost and they're cheapening the Disney name by forgetting what made them the Disney they are today? If not, please explain.

This has the potential to be a heated argument. Please, for the sake of us all, lets keep the thread at a respectful, calm, and mature discussion.

• Uber Disney freak! șOș

While I ADORE Pixar's films, I do think we're seeing Disney go down a dangerous path with the amount of Pixar going into the parks. As for CGI being a one-trick pony - well which is hard for animators? Animating something on a computer, or drawing it frame-by-frame in 2d? If it's easier on the computer, I think it will stay CGI that's more common, no matter how great 2d can be.
    -Ann

WDW:
    July 1987 - offsite, 1-day visit to the MK; July-August 2000 - honeymoon - Port Orleans (now POFQ); May 2003 - Caribbean Beach Resort; Dec 2003 - Coronado Springs; April 2004 - Pop Century (PC) & POFQ; Sept 2004 - Animal Kingdom Lodge; May 2005 - Port Orleans Riverside; Sept 2005 - PC; Oct 2006 - POFQ; Apr 2007 - PC; July 2007 - Boardwalk Villas (WOO HOO! I was at WDW in the MK on the 20th anniversary of my first visit!); August - Sept 2007 - Old Key West; Sept 2007 - Saratoga Springs; Oct 2007 - BWV; Mar-Apr 2008 - SS

DLR:
    Dec 2001 - Grand Californian; Jan 2005 - GC; July 2005 - HoJo Anaheim & GC; Dec 2008 - Best Western Park Place Inn

p.s. Wanna buy a ?

• Banned User

The funny thing is PIXAR films are all hype and nothing else. If you look past the hype you will see all the films have the same story and a bunch of humor that isnt even all that funny.

• The Mickey Follower

Does it really matter if it's CG or hand drawn if the story is worth watching? I mean, would TS or FN have been as good if they were drawn by hand on cells ?

Disney has always made attractions based on their products (The Castles, Dumbo Rides, Peter Pan, etc..).

I think the real issues is not the stories, but how well they transition those stories into attractions that will stand the test of time.

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.
    Pixar's films tends to all have the same story within them like Ghostbuster said. The Incredibles was WAY over hyped. Despite the lovely visuals, it was just another superhero movie.

• Minion

I love the films, but the extent to which they are taking over Epcot and Tomorrowlands worldwide is getting disturbing. Even "Meet Woody," which replaced the Diamond Horseshoe.

I think it's fine right now (NOT the Horseshoe), but we know Disney is looking at Pixar-fying the entire resort when it comes time to update attractions. You know, for good marketing and less original design. It's pretty scary. When in doubt, turn to Pixar, right?

• Self Congratulative

I agree, the novelty of CG is it's "reality" in look and motion. Other than that, most of the stories are just created to show off the CG department's newest "big gun." I especially feel this way in Finding Nemo. That movie feels a lot slower once you see the whole thing as moving wireframes and computer-generated graphs.

I am for the addition of at least some Pixar into the parks, but it just seems as if their novelty is taking over! For those who don't agree, just take a look at the proposed(but not yet acknowledged) plan to replace the Carousel of Progress. Walt's own optimistic and fun-filled project is proposed to be replaced with the (incredibly overexposed)green aliens from Toy Story.
    Although this project is not confirmed, it comes as no suprise to me if they do.

• Banned User

Some Pixarfing is good... The Living Seas is getting different people now thanks to some of the Finding Nemo Overlay...

(Crush is great.. My 4 Y/O Cousin loved it.. even my parents and uncle loved it..
    We saw it on Wed May 18.... Do you like Seafood was a previous question... My cousin being the way he was... Asked the same question.... He was like.. Woa.. Deja vu Dude...)

it's all about style I guess o_o

they're trying to find homes for these characters and they're way oversaturated

Pixars storys are set in a more contemporary modern setting, this makes them more fitting for parks like California Adventure (I'll skip MGM they're not really that movie making oriented because MGM seems to strike me as being more about live action)

as far as 3D movies go I do think that they're becoming oversaturated especialy in since of style

everyone either tries to rehash what Pixar is done or show some sort of dumb shrek attitude thing there isn't anything really fresh feeling at all I've only seen two moderatly different flavors of 3D film (as opposed to a wide variety of animation)

they really make the styles of 3D all too similar

I wish somebody would try for a cell shaded format sometime for a throwback to old cartoons perhaps (for those who've seen or played Viewtiful Joe youknow what i'm talking about)

more heavily stylized 3D would go a long ways towards ridding us of the blandness (good Cellshading too not that awful stuff some company's call cell shaded but what they really mean is they were too lazy to add textures)

of course while I'm at it why don't I insist that american cartoons stop trying to copy anime we are NOT the japanese we need to emphasize our own styles (I like anime but geez I don't want sudo anime and I don't want everything I ever see to be anime)

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626
    The funny thing is PIXAR films are all hype and nothing else. If you look past the hype you will see all the films have the same story and a bunch of humor that isnt even all that funny.
    That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I, as well as millions of movie-goers would disagree. I have enjoyed every movie they have put out. Some like The Incredibles, Toy Story 2 and Monsters Inc. more than others. But to just dismiss them all with one blanket statement seems awful ignorant to me.

FWIW, the Pixar films all have something that most of Disney's recent animated features lack -- heart and a great story.

Quote Originally Posted by General Grizz
    I love the films, but the extent to which they are taking over Epcot and Tomorrowlands worldwide is getting disturbing. Even "Meet Woody," which replaced the Diamond Horseshoe.

I think it's fine right now (NOT the Horseshoe), but we know Disney is looking at Pixar-fying the entire resort when it comes time to update attractions. You know, for good marketing and less original design. It's pretty scary. When in doubt, turn to Pixar, right?
    Well, it isn't just Pixar. Disney is shoehorning characters in all over the place. Pooh anyone? How about a heaping helping of Experiment 626? Or perhaps you'd like to travel to Norway to dine with the Disney princesses?

The only reason Pixar's characters seem more prominent is because those films made billions at the box office, in DVDs and merchandise. Rest assured if films like Atlantis, Treasure Planet and Home on the Range didn't suck, we'd be seeing attractions based on those films and their characters as well.

It isn't a Pixar issue. The point is throwing characters and character-based attractions in places they have no business being. To just focus on Pixar is really missing the point.

• The Mickey Follower

We all know that at the end of the day, the guys behind the scenes are there to make money, no matter how much we would like to think otherwise.

I think the biggest problem I have (and some others) is that as we grow older, we see the changing of something, frankly we really don't want to change all that much.

How many remember the Journey ride (can't remember that ride to save my life right now) at Disneyland where the pretended to shrink you down into a snowflake. It was cool back then, but way outdated if it were around today.

I (any many of you as well) may not like the things they throw out there to promote the parks/rides, but my kids love it. And the reason we're getting more and more pixar movies out there is because those are the current movies that kids are watching. I have most of the disney movies they have released on video/DVD. My daughter watches the pixar movies than HOTR or Atlantis.

• Uber Disney freak! șOș

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    FWIW, the Pixar films all have something that most of Disney's recent animated features lack -- heart and a great story.

The only reason Pixar's characters seem more prominent is because those films made billions at the box office, in DVDs and merchandise. Rest assured if films like Atlantis, Treasure Planet and Home on the Range didn't suck, we'd be seeing attractions based on those films and their characters as well.

It isn't a Pixar issue. The point is throwing characters and character-based attractions in places they have no business being. To just focus on Pixar is really missing the point.
    VERY nicely put, 74. Disney's new characters of late have been lame for the most part, whereas Pixar makes their characters endearing.

Also, good point regarding the princesses taking up residence in the WOrld Showcase, and Pooh showing up all over the place as well. Disney needs to quit muddying the waters in the parks by throwing characters where they don't belong and instead work on ensuring they tell a good story, whether it's based on a pre-existing character, or whether they create an entirely NEW character like they did with Figment.
    -Ann

WDW:
    July 1987 - offsite, 1-day visit to the MK; July-August 2000 - honeymoon - Port Orleans (now POFQ); May 2003 - Caribbean Beach Resort; Dec 2003 - Coronado Springs; April 2004 - Pop Century (PC) & POFQ; Sept 2004 - Animal Kingdom Lodge; May 2005 - Port Orleans Riverside; Sept 2005 - PC; Oct 2006 - POFQ; Apr 2007 - PC; July 2007 - Boardwalk Villas (WOO HOO! I was at WDW in the MK on the 20th anniversary of my first visit!); August - Sept 2007 - Old Key West; Sept 2007 - Saratoga Springs; Oct 2007 - BWV; Mar-Apr 2008 - SS

DLR:
    Dec 2001 - Grand Californian; Jan 2005 - GC; July 2005 - HoJo Anaheim & GC; Dec 2008 - Best Western Park Place Inn

p.s. Wanna buy a ?

• Self Congratulative

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    I wish somebody would try for a cell shaded format sometime for a throwback to old cartoons perhaps (for those who've seen or played Viewtiful Joe youknow what i'm talking about)
    Any studio that uses Lightwave 3D has the capability to do realistic cell shaded CGI. There are lots of tv shows and such that use it. You just, most of the time, can't tell them apart.

As for the look being totally the same, I think that's follow the leader syndrome. Most animators going through school right now learn by copying other animator's styles.

• IZTUAZU!!!

I thought Rasulo (which sounds like a "colorful metaphor") wanted everything in the parks to be based on a Disney movie.
    J.B. Opie

"Doubt is the rust of a feeble mind. The only way to seize the future is to grasp the present. Let's Go!"

-Chairman Clench, Alien Encounter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast