Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Super Old Guy

Re: Quick questions for first visit

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    El Rio De Tiempo (Mexico) - If you like Mexican food I recommend this location, the view is simply amazing and the ambiance can't be beat! Is kind of hard to see though.
    Just a small correction: the restaurant in the Mexico pavilion is called the San Angel Inn. El Rio del Tiempo is the ride in the pavilion.

• New Old Member

The ride is also very welcomed after being out in the sun on your feet for awhile. Relaxing.

• xmanmom

I would definitely make reservations and upgrade to a park hopper.

The table service restaurants that I really enjoyed on my trip:

Epcot:
    Le Cellier - Canada Pavilion
    Le Chefs de France - France Pavilion

Animal Kingdom Lodge:
    Boma for both breakfast and dinner

Contemporary Resort:
    California Grill

Polynesian Resort:
    Ohana

I have more suggestions for Counter Service if you are interested in those as well.

Have fun and tell us all about it when you get back.

The Hoop Dee Doo Musical Revue is a great musical dinner show in Pioneer Hall at Fort Wilderness. We've gone every time we go (5 years) and always enjoy it. It's a little corny but everyone has fun. Great food too!

Boma's at the Animal Kingdom Lodge is great. Especially the desserts. Be sure to try the Zebra Domes if you go.

Ohana's is very good as well.

Epcot - On our last trip we tried the Rose and Crown in England. I wasn't real thrilled with the idea of British food but we were able to get a table on the patio and had the best seat in the house for Illuminations. The food was suprisingly good.

We've never tried the dining plan. We don't make too many dining reservations for our in the park time because we'd rather eat when we get hungry and not have to make to the other end of the park were our reservation's at.

Another place I just remembered, the Sci Fi Diner in MGM. It'd best to make a reservation here. The food is good, not great, but the atmosphere is awesome. It's like a drive-in movie theater, you sit in cars, and the screen plays B movie trailers from the 50's and 60's.

Be sure to checkout allearsnet.com It's a great website that has just about all the answers to your WDW questions.

• Wild About Disney

Make your reservations now as you never know how crowded things can get. We love the Crystal Palace in MK - the food is delicious and the characters are a riot. My husband's favorite in the MK is the Liberty Tree and the food is very good there too. We really like 'Ohana's for breakfast and the Cape May at the Beach Club has a fabulous breakfast also. Marrakesh had excellent food in Epcot. There are so many wonderful restaurants and I am sure that we all have somewhat different opinions. We haven't been to Boma but plan on it this trip.

You definitely want Park Hopper on your tickets otherwise you are too limited.

Have a blast!
    SimbaLynn

• A New Kind Of Villain

Park hopping might be an issue unless you have your own transportation. Aerinpegadrack and I only park-hopped on one day because figment1986 came to pick us up at Animal Kingdom and took us over to EPCOT. The bus system is very time consuming. It usually takes 45 mins or so to get from one park to another in between going to the bus, waiting for it and then the ride over.
    Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

• Shubisha

I'm not sure how worth it a park hopper option is on your first trip.... on a 4-5 day trip it's nice to have for 1 or 2 of the days but the others you might have wasted your money if you're intent on seeing a whole park like Epcot and MK during your days.

When I went I hopped a LOT and i hadn't been there in years but I might be weird like that

• Super Old Guy

Another thing to consider about the park hopping option is that, the time of year you're visiting, some of the parks close up fairly early. If you're spending a day in the Animal Kingdom, for example, and it closes at 5 or 6 pm, you could then hop over to Epcot for dinner and fireworks at 9. I'd hate to be stuck in my hotel room with all that fun going on and not have the right ticket to take advantage of it.

• Reject no more!

Ok, I'm sold! We are definately upgrading our passes to hoppers.

Here are the reservations we were able to make for dining - how did we do?

Tues Lunch - Alfredo di Roma
    Tues Dinner - La Cellier
    Wed Dinner - Boma
    Thurs Lunch - Sci-Fi Theater
    Thurs Dinner - Mama Melrose
    Friday Dinner - Liberty Tree Tavern

Others of your recommends were already booked. I'm SO glad you advised me to call ahead.

So are there any recommends for counter service places?? Any unique treats that you can only find in Orlando? Thanks everyone - you are the best!!
    ><> just call me n8 <><

• Super Old Guy

Two counters I always his are Cosmic Ray's in the MK and the Flame Tree Barbeque in DAK. Cosmic Ray's has 3 different counters, so you can get chicken, salad, sandwiches & more. And then you go into the main seating room and are entertained by an audio animatronic Sonny Eclipse and the Stars of the Milky Way, a galaxy hopping lounge entertainer - very fun. And the Flame Tree has great BBQ sandwiches and ribs, with a terraced seating area overlooking the water and a far off Expedition Everest.

Enjoy!

Smile Re: Quick questions for first visit

Since you are already eating at Mama Melrose's, you might want to call and check to see if there is any more space available for the Fantasmic "Dinner and a show" package. That is an oppurtunity to eat at a certain restaurant and then go sit in a special area to watch Fantasmic. You do not have to wait in line with the huge crowd. The seating area is usually off to one side.

The 3 restaurants that offer such a package are Mama Melrose's, Hollywood and Vine, and the Brown Derby.

You will just have to double check MGM's park hours to see when it closes. Fantasmic usually starts when the park closes. At least that is what I know for the end of February----when I am going.

I hope this helps you a bit, too.
    - Larisa

Everybody neat and pretty? Then, on with the show! -MMC

• xmanmom

I think you did pretty good for your ressies, congrats.

As far as counter service the ones we really liked were:

Animal Kingdom:
    Flame Tree Barbeque (Search out that seating area overlooking the water and Everest. Great view and sometimes a boat with characters will float by.)
    Tusker House

Disney MGM:
    Toy Story Pizza Planet (Seating can be a challenge here though.)

Epcot:
    Askerhus in Norway Pavillion

Magic Kingdom:
    Cosmic Ray's (The food is good but the lines are CRAZY!)

In terms of the Fantasmic Dinner Package, we did it but I am not sure it was worth it. They make you show up 45 minutes before the show only to seat you off to the side. We realized that we could have come in 10 minutes before the show and sat in a similar seat on the other side. I guess it depends on how crowded the parks will be when you go. If it looks like the show will be full, it would be worth it. But if it is a slow time then just go on your own.

Be ready for throngs of screaming kids at the Toy Story Pizza Planet. I mean A LOT of kids....
    - Larisa

Everybody neat and pretty? Then, on with the show! -MMC

• xmanmom

Quote Originally Posted by Risa View Post
    Be ready for throngs of screaming kids at the Toy Story Pizza Planet. I mean A LOT of kids....
    It really wasn't like that at all when we went. Just very crowded with people of all ages. We did have to listen to the same four Randy Newman songs over and over and over though!

If the weather is nice enough then sit outside, you won't have to listen to the music or the screaming kids that people talk about (but we didn't experience, just lucky maybe?).

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by Risa View Post
    Since you are already eating at Mama Melrose's, you might want to call and check to see if there is any more space available for the Fantasmic "Dinner and a show" package. That is an oppurtunity to eat at a certain restaurant and then go sit in a special area to watch Fantasmic. You do not have to wait in line with the huge crowd. The seating area is usually off to one side.

The 3 restaurants that offer such a package are Mama Melrose's, Hollywood and Vine, and the Brown Derby.

You will just have to double check MGM's park hours to see when it closes. Fantasmic usually starts when the park closes. At least that is what I know for the end of February----when I am going.

I hope this helps you a bit, too.
    Yes, very good idea. In October it was $32 for an adult and I believe $18 for a child for the packge. We ate at the Brown Derby and the package more than paid for itself.

At the Brown Derby the package gave you an appitizer, entree, and dessert. Depending on what you ordered, it was easy to go over $32 on the menu (Of course if you went with the cheaper items, you could be under a $32 value.) I like the Brown Derby, and I would even consider taking the package and NOT going to Fantsmic just because it works out cheaper for what I want to eat.

-dave
    Last edited by Phonedave; 01-18-2007 at 07:33 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast