• Too far from Disney World

Smile Trying to Plan a trip to WDW

I'm hoping you guys might be able to give me some suggestions!

My boyfriend and I are trying to plan a trip to Disney World with another couple. We're looking at the end of July as the time of our trip as our friends are teachers and she teaches summer school, so this would be the only time all of us could go togehter. Us girls are the Disney fantastics (I have a Donald Duck collection and she has a Mickey) and the guys are going cause we asked (we're actually going to a convention for them at the end of June for their toys). My boyfriend doesn't remember going when he was a kid and her husband didn't have fun when he went to Disney as a kid, so I need some suggestions on things people enjoy doing while there or that might be fun for us to do. Us girls have each been a few times and know the stuff we'd like to do, but it's been 12 years since I've been to Magic Kingdom (I actually went to Animal Kingdom in 2003, but that was the only park I visited then as it was the newest). So I don't know the most up-to-date info.

Also, is there a travel agent or place anyone recommends for travel packages? I've checked out mousesavers.com and I have a AAA card and gotten a book from there, but I don't know if there's something I'm missing or not?!

• See you there!

Re: Trying to Plan a trip to WDW

I recommend you get a book, several would be better. But if you get a book, I like "Birnbaum's Walt Disney World", yeah, I know it looks like a commerical for WDW, but I think there is a lot of information there and easy to read and understand and well organized so maybe you can set the guys and point out the neat stuff there to do.

For a web site, I feel there is no better palnning site than Deb Wills' All Ears Net at:

http://allearsnet.com/

For other books, I like "PassPorter Walt Disney World" by Jennifer and Dave Marx, great book. Their book has won several travel book awards. Also their site:

http://www.passporter.com/

is a good read as well.

For a couples book I like "Walt Disney World for Couples" by Rick and Gayle Perlmuter.

If you want to plan (and plan) what you will do at WDW, try: "The Unofficial Guide To Walt Disney World" by Bob Schlinger. It is pretty heavy into planning, and is the size of a small encyclopedia, but it is OK.

Some of this should help somehwhat. have a great time!

CU@DL

Andy
    -
    What is, is... What is not, is not.

Boom!

I don't ask for much... Just a few little things!

Extra effort yields extraordinary results!

• Feeling LOVED

I would make your dinner reservations now. In July and August...it is packed and hard to get in for dinner anywhere unless you like counter service. I agree Birnbaums Walt Disney World is very informative.
    HEARTS CLUB !!

• I'll Break your Thumbs!!

Definately pick up a book... The Birnbaum guide is pretty good... You can read up on it from now until you go to WDW so you can hit the parks like seasoned pros.

1. Buy a park hopper ticket with no expiration. Its good to have, because even if you dont go back for 10yrs, the ticket is still good.

2. Eat at Ohana's. Its at the poly resort, and the food is amazing.

3. Make reservations NOW!!! If the trip falls through, you can always cancel, but at least you have them.

4. Try to see the Luau at the Poly resort as well. Its a lot of fun.

No matter, the parks are gonna be jammed during the summer, and the weather kind of sucks in July. Humid as a mother and hot as hell. So that plus the crowds makes for cranky people. So try to hit the pools alot, or even rent the mini speedboats at the poly (they are the fastest).

I keep mentioning the poly, but you dont need to stay there... I hardly do, its just that it has a lot of good stuff to do.

Other areas to hit, would be the restaurant at the land in Epcot, as all the food is grown within the complex, and its quite good. You also want to hit the Character Breakfast at Chef Mickey's in the contemporary.

Hmmm Not sure what other advice I could give... That birnbaum guide will answer 90% of your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by FantasticDuck View Post
    Also, is there a travel agent or place anyone recommends for travel packages? I've checked out mousesavers.com and I have a AAA card and gotten a book from there, but I don't know if there's something I'm missing or not?!
    I just booked my first WDW trip using Small World Vacations (www.wdwvacations.com) after getting a Quote from my local AAA agent... They were able to get me an AAA discount on a Room-Only Reservation...

I liked them as #1) They were highly recommended, and #2, they looked for what I asked for (AAA wanted to place me where they wanted me to go/buy, I felt rushed, and well, not too happy overall). I needed to have two rooms next to each other... AAA said I could request on check in... Small World has it as "Guaranteed Connecting Room" in my reservation.

The advantages of Room Only is you can cancel up to 5 days without penalty, one room with less than 5 days. (With the AAA and Other Disney Packages, you have to pay in full 45 days before... and no refunds!)

You save nothing, nada on the Packages usually... Getting the Room only, then buying the tickets separately is no more, and sometimes in less. Every book/site I've read seems to point this out (over, and over again). The only thing good about the packages... is for Disney.. .they get money 45 days prior... on a room only they get paid when you show up.

I recommend the Unofficial Guides... I've used the Disneyland one for years... it's excellent, and the books, while large, are well written (and they have a good sense of humor). I have the WDW one... it's HUGE... but it's an easy read.

• Too far from Disney World

Thank you SO MUCH guys!

I've spoken with AAA and the price I've been quoted was more then the Disney site quoted us! We are planning to stay at a Value Resort as we won't be in the room much more then to sleep and shower basically (and that means more money for me to spend on Duckie stuff! lol). I kinda like the idea of paying in advance so I know that part is taken care of as well. I'm going to check out the passporter and small world vacations sites and see what they say. And a trip to my bookstore is happeneing on the way home. The only Disney book AAA offers me is their pakcage book (even though I can see all the other Disney books behiND the counter!).

I'm sure our guys will have fun (we have fun at their Transformer conventions!), but like I said, I haven't been in 12 years so I don't know of all the new stuff! And is it true that when you stay in the park and purchase something, that they'll shend it to your hotel room so you don't have to carry it in the park?!

Has anyone done the Donald's Breakfastosaurus character breakfast? I've read good and bad reviews on it, but the more I read the more I set my heart on it. LOL

• Wild About Disney

Smile Re: Trying to Plan a trip to WDW

Has anyone done the Donald's Breakfastosaurus character breakfast? I've read good and bad reviews on it, but the more I read the more I set my heart on it. LOL[/quote]

We have eaten at Donald's Breakfastosaurus and we loved it! We had a blast with the characters and the food was very good. We went for my birthday and both my husband and I had a great time. We think it is a worthwhile experience.

I hope that you enjoy your visit to WDW. I would advise bringing one of the water bottle fans since you will be visiting while it is so hot and humid and don't forget the sunscreen!