First Timer Group! Some help por favor? =D

Hey everyone. This summer, my friends and I will be high school graduates and we plan on celebrating by traveling to DISNEYWORLD! We are all Disneyland lovers so we are quite excited to visit the sister park. I am the official planner of the vacation so I was wondering if i could ask all you PROS some questions.

1.) Dates: First off, is 6 nights 7 days a good length for a first trip? We're looking at two options. One option is RIGHT after our school get out, which would be June 10 - June 16. The other option is during the value period, August 5 - 11. I guess the only disadvantage would be hurricanes or bad weather during the August period? The rest of the summer is OPEN but I hear it gets REALLY busy in July. Any suggestions? Comments?

2.) Hotel: I would really love the moderate hotels, but my friends want to go the less expensive way of the value resorts? How are the value resorts? Does it get really noisy at night? And of course which value resort would you recommend? And also how bad is transportation to the parks from the value resorts? =D

3.) Disney Dining: Out of all the questions, this is the biggest decision for me. My friends trust me to make the right recommendations and decisions. Do you think this is a valuable experience?

4.) Help with my itinerary: How many days do you think I need for each park. I'm probably going to arrive the first day sometime in the afternoon/late evening because we're coming from LAX.

Any help at all with all or one of these questions would be GREATLYYYYY appreciated! Any other comments that come to mind, please let me know as well. I want this to be a GREAT experience for my friends and myself. Thanks so much you guys. Micechat is the best.
    Currently at DreamWorks Animation SKG

Former Disneyland Adventureland Castmember
    [Skipper & Archaeologist]

• Defying gravity

Smile Re: First Timer Group! Some help por favor? =D

Quote Originally Posted by dchun2007 View Post
    Hey everyone. This summer, my friends and I will be high school graduates and we plan on celebrating by traveling to DISNEYWORLD! We are all Disneyland lovers so we are quite excited to visit the sister park. I am the official planner of the vacation so I was wondering if i could ask all you PROS some questions.

1.) Dates: First off, is 6 nights 7 days a good length for a first trip? We're looking at two options. One option is RIGHT after our school get out, which would be June 10 - June 16. The other option is during the value period, August 5 - 11. I guess the only disadvantage would be hurricanes or bad weather during the August period? The rest of the summer is OPEN but I hear it gets REALLY busy in July. Any suggestions? Comments?

2.) Hotel: I would really love the moderate hotels, but my friends want to go the less expensive way of the value resorts? How are the value resorts? Does it get really noisy at night? And of course which value resort would you recommend? And also how bad is transportation to the parks from the value resorts? =D

3.) Disney Dining: Out of all the questions, this is the biggest decision for me. My friends trust me to make the right recommendations and decisions. Do you think this is a valuable experience?

4.) Help with my itinerary: How many days do you think I need for each park. I'm probably going to arrive the first day sometime in the afternoon/late evening because we're coming from LAX.

Any help at all with all or one of these questions would be GREATLYYYYY appreciated! Any other comments that come to mind, please let me know as well. I want this to be a GREAT experience for my friends and myself. Thanks so much you guys. Micechat is the best.
    Congrats on being a senior. I'm headed to WDW the day after I graduate for 15 nights!!!

1. If I was you, I would go during June. The weather will be better. Honestly, I don't think 6 nights is enough. WDW IS HUGE!!! And if you want to see it throughly, I would say at least 8 nights is needed.

2. If possible, I would go with moderate resorts. They really are a touch above value resorts. However, I would recommend Pop Century if you choose to go the value route. On the plus ride, PC has great bus service.

3. I assume you are referring to the Dining Plan. For my family, the DP is not a good option because we don't eat $37+ worth of food a day. You just have to decide how much food your group wants to eat and how much valuable touring time you want to spend at sit down restaurants.

4. I would say:
    Magic Kingdom - 2 days (DL is sooo much better you can't even compare!)
    Epcot - 2 1/2 to 3 days (the best park at WDW, IMHO)
    Disney-MGM Studios - 1 day (the worst park at WDW, IMHO)
    Animal Kingdom - 1 1/2 to 2 days (some would disagree with me, but AK really is a beautiful park and there are many new attractions)

Make sure you read up on WDW in advance, because it is so HUGE!!! It's size can't even compare to DLR. Prepare yourself in advance for how much better DL is compared to the MK. WDW vacations are tiring but well worth it. Have fun planning!!!!!

• I'll Break your Thumbs!!

Re: First Timer Group! Some help por favor? =D

Quote Originally Posted by dchun2007 View Post

Congrats... WDW is an awesome place...

1. Definately do June... Its not that bad out yet, in terms of humidity, and there might still be some schools in session so the parks will not be as crowded as August.

2. If you want Value, hit up the Pop Century resort. It is very nice, and I dont remember it ever getting very noisy at night. Honestly you are hardly going to be at the room, so why spend the money on a moderate...

3. OHANA'S!!!!!!! I say it in every thread about going to WDW. Its located at the poly resort, which is on the monorail loop for the MK. The food is awesome, and if you get a late seating around the time of the fireworks show at MK< they sync the music over the speakers in the restaurant so u can enjoy the fireworks show... Its like $30 all you can eat, and its so worth it. Also the Luau is a great show if you want to see that. Character Breakfast, I like it at Chef Mickeys at the Conetemporary. Its fun and the food is good. The places in the parks are also very nice, but there are so many to mention.

4. I would try to get the park hopper ticket with no expiration, this way if u ever come back and have days left on the ticket they wont expire. I would say depending on crowds and what you want to hit... 1/2 day for epcot, 1/2 day for MGM, full days for MK and Animal Kingdom. If you have any extra free time, go hit Downtown Disney, or even try to venture out to Universal studios or Sea World. Also, hit up a water park in disney. Typhoon Lagoon is my favorite.

Also, I suggest getting the birnbaum guide to WDW, as it will help tremendously.

Hope this helps!!!!!

• Banned User

1) yes do june it is still humid but you don't have the afternoon thunderstorms everyday. but be warned it does get HOT. high 80s every day.

2) yes pop century for value resort otherwise i would do moderate.

4) days wise i would give MK 2 and epcot 2( one for each area.) you can do Ak in a day but then it closes 5ish or 6ish leaving you extra time to go back to one of the other parks. MGM can be done in roughly a day. also remember that when you stay they have extra magic hours each not so certain parks are open late. also if you do have time one of the water parks would be alot of fun.
    as far as food I will leave it up to you. there are plenty of fast food places if you can't get reservations. to me the best character dinner is crystal palace but it depends on who your favorite characters are. one more note, unlike disneyland, you can make reservations 120 days out and the sooner you can make them for some places the better.

• Feeling LOVED

Quote Originally Posted by Cmash95 View Post
    1) yes do june it is still humid but you don't have the afternoon thunderstorms everyday. but be warned it does get HOT. high 80s every day.

Thunderstorms are part of the fun. We were there last July....very humid...Thunderstorms everyday, it was a blast. We loved playing in the rain. For us it just enhanced our adventure.

For your Dining plan option.....it really depends how much food you eat. The quantities are large....Meal plus dessert for counter service...and for table service ....appetizer ....meal...plus dessert.
    HEARTS CLUB !!

• Swice

Question: Will you have a car? If so, you may actually consider off-property... A Fairfield by Marriott or someplace like that will provide breakfast! Obviously you have to pay for parking at the theme parks so factor that into the cost.

But (at the risk of being slammed) if you're off site, you may enjoy Seaworld and/or Universal (combo ticket) after you've been to Disney of course.

You're young... go to the grocery store and buy pop-tarts and bottled juices and take them to your room for breakfast... eat a light snack lunch (even share!)... and then splurge for dinner. Make reservations at one of the nice restaurants and they'll even save you seats for Fantasmic or Illuminations. Also try a dinner show: Hoopty Doo Revue (spelling ? 'cause I'm in a hurry) is campy but it's fun and good food.

Save money and go on a timeshare presentation and they'll give you free tickets to attractions.

• Wild About Disney

Timeshare presentations - ughhhh! You get free tickets but waste hours of your time.

I would agree that you can eat breakfast on the go or in your room - we save tons of money that way. I would also recommend buying bottled water and refrigerating it to take into the parks as it will save you a bundle. We usually only eat one meal a day at the parks, whether it is a late breakfast, late lunch or dinner, then we snack. We love the character dining and feel that most of the food is quite good. Our favorite restaurant is the Crystal Palace at the Magic Kingdom, the food is excellent and it has a nice atmosphere. 'Ohana's food is very good (at the Polynesian Resort) and Cape May Cafe has an excellent character breakfast, also.

As far as time needed at the parks, I would concur with DisneyPrincess, you will need 2-3 days at Epcot and then you won't see everything in the World Showcase, 1 day is plenty at MGM-Disney Studios, 1-1/2 days at Animal Kingdom - you need to spend your time seeing the animals and at least 2 days at Magic Kingdom. I am from Covina and was awed the first time I was in Magic Kingdom after being a DisneylandFan for years! You will have a great time. I would also recommend the Park Hopper - I believe that you will use it.

Have a fun and safe trip!

We have never stayed on property, we always trade our timeshare, however as long as you have a bed and shower, that is all you need - you aren't going to spend much time in your room - you will be much too busy having fun!
    SimbaLynn

• Why can't you tune a fish

On the subject of resorts - I think I said this before.

If you go value - Pop Century - no question

Bus service is comparable (within 10 minutes) to any resort so thats really not the issue. PC (and the other values) queue out on the sidewalk in the sun/rain/elements. Most of the moderates have shelters/benches. Just something to think of as you are standing there waiting 40 minutes to get on the bus.

I know I said this part before. I don't know how big your group is, or their gender/comfort level but you have the option of getting a cabin at the campground. They sleep six, so while they cost more you are spreading that cost over 6 people. Plus they have full kitchens and a little more room to spread out than a POP room. I have never put 4 adults in a POP century room, but I have in similar sized rooms is college. It can become a bit of a hassle - Its pretty cramped.

-dave

• Swice

Sorry,
    I should have been more clear...

Timeshare presentations can be a huge waste of time... but I was thinking they are "high school graduates" and trying to think of anything to save them dollars.

If you do a timeshare presentation: stick with the big names like Marriott or Starwood (Sheraton).

So if dollars are a factor...

However, I must say we do love our Marriott timeshare. We bought elsewhere and are able to rent "excess inventory" for cheap in Orlando-- try a week in a timeshare at Marriott for less than $400.
    Last edited by Swice; 01-08-2007 at 07:40 AM.