• Yes indeed!

64 76.19%
  • Of course not.

3 3.57%
  • Undecided.

2 2.38%
  • Only to Studios.

2 2.38%
  • Only if one does not have to pay a fare.

13 15.48%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: WDW Monorail System Expansion

Quote Originally Posted by mikeland View Post
    I think adding monorails is a great idea. That was Walt's original dream after all. I also wonder how long it will take for Disney to replace the huge parking lots and put in parking structures as they have at Disneyland Park and as Universal has as well.
    Walt though had more developed plan for Disney World. A resort wide monorail system at Walt Disney World would be difficult to implement due to the way the resort has expanded. In the EPCOT film Walt shows us a Disney World that is all situated on a single line, allowing for easy monorail acces between the park, EPCOT, industrial park, airport, and whatever else would eventuall fill the gaps.

Walt Disney World would be unable to implement a system that allowed for such easy access. Several different lines and hubs would have to be built to allow for guests to move around. This may be one factor that could prevent resort wide monorail use. The advantage of a bus is that from any point it can go to any other point, or be diverted to any other point(s). A monorail simply cannot do that.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeland View Post
    I think adding monorails is a great idea. That was Walt's original dream after all. I also wonder how long it will take for Disney to replace the huge parking lots and put in parking structures as they have at Disneyland Park and as Universal has as well.
    WDW doesn't need to spend the money to do so because they have a huge amount of space to work with. Disneyland needs a place to park that doesn't take up a lot of space, because they really don't have space. Same with Universal

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by Cmash95 View Post
    it's not only a matter of expense but also a matter of land use. in some areas of the property the area is way too swampy to even put footers. there were problems building the original monorail and a spur was planned
    for MGM but the land it was to be built on was too swampy and the footings sank

Heh,

Any engineering problem can be solved, provided you throw enough money at it.

-dave

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    I think you're the first person I've ever seen refer to monorail track as a blight.

I'm not entirely sure I believe this story. It sounds more like something Disney put out there to put off people asking about monorail expansion. There are currently roads that travel to all guest areas of the property and these prexisting paths could potentially be utilized. Newer technology since Disney-MGM Studios was built could lighten the weight of the monorail track will still holding the monorails. The pylons could also be spaced closer together or use something such as arches instead of columns to limit the amount of weight directly applied to each footer.

Frankly, I think the lack of expansion just keeps Wall Street happy. It's a high up front cost with loooong term gains.

It can be built. This is what I used to do for a living. I worked for a geotechnical engineering company. I was a field engineer on earthworks jobs. I have seen more footings poured, piles driven, and fill placed than I care to remember.

Its all a matter of cost. There are methods that can be used, it just becomes very very very expensive.

-dave

• Banned User

instead of a monorail I would like to see a light rail system installed throughout the resort. now I know it would go over roads and you would have to find a way to keep animals and people off the tracks but its much more economical to build as well as use.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Heh,

Any engineering problem can be solved, provided you throw enough money at it.

-dave
    yes they are called Piles! just think of an oil rig. a HUGE lump of metal supported on a series of legs hundereds of feet tall in the sea. if you want to build a monorail through a swamp, its really not much of a problem. the problem is the cost.

i personally love the monorail, but i really don't understand why Disney would/could justify the large cost.

Quote Originally Posted by it398 View Post
    yes they are called Piles! just think of an oil rig. a HUGE lump of metal supported on a series of legs hundereds of feet tall in the sea. if you want to build a monorail through a swamp, its really not much of a problem. the problem is the cost.

i personally love the monorail, but i really don't understand why Disney would/could justify the large cost.

Depends on whats down there.

Piles need to either contact something solid, or develop enough skin friction (or a combo of both). Depending on subsurface conditions it may be better to go with a very large spread footing, or to sink cassons.

Anyway, the point is moot. All options cost a bucketload. The monorail is also an added maintainence cost.

You have to do road repairs anyway, so you might as well use buses. Adding more monorail track is just something else to insure, inspect, repair, and pay for.

-dave

• Banned User

instead of a monorail I would like to see a light rail system installed throughout the resort. now I know it would go over roads and you would have to find a way to keep animals and people off the tracks but its much more economical to build as well as use.
    Light rail costs more then monorail. That's a fact.

• Banned User

light rail is a bit cheaper or at least used to be. a feasibility study was done in tampa in 2005 on whether to add a monorail or light rail system and the light rail came in considerably cheaper and also more convinient for the passengers.

• May the F=ma be with you

A light rail was proposed by the city of Orlando several years ago. It was to run from downtown all the way along I-Drive and into WDW. Disney was in talks with Orange County. I am unaware of the results of these talks.

Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

light rail is a bit cheaper or at least used to be. a feasibility study was done in tampa in 2005 on whether to add a monorail or light rail system and the light rail came in considerably cheaper and also more convinient for the passengers.
    That is only the up front construction costs. Maintaining a light rail system is more expensive than maintaining a monorail.

A high-speed rail system has also been proposed for Florida to run from Orlando to Tampa with stops at Orlando International Airport, WDW, and Tampa. Supposedly with this, WDW was going to expand the monorail system. A new transportation hub was to be built, where the high-sped line would stop, and would serve as a monorail hub. There were even press releases with Al Weiss (then president of WDW) saying that the bus system is inadequate, and a monorail expansion was being explored and seriously considered in conjunction with the high-speed rail project. Light-rail was also looked at for on-property.

However, the high-speed rail project hit snags with Universal, Sea World, and Busch Gardens since they were not getting dedicated stops. Once those problems were starting to get resolved you had 9/11, tourism sank and support (money) dried up. I know that the high-speed rail group was still trying to make something happen, but I'm not sure what has happened to it.

WDW recognizes that buses alone is not the answer to WDW's transportation needs. WDW Transportation does have expansion plans drawn up, and an expansion is always in the 10-year plan. However, money is the issue, and when it comes time in the 10-year plan to expand the monorail system, it just gets pushed back, and pushed back, and pushed back. Hopefully with tourism being nearly recovered, we'll start to see some serious talk about an expansion again.

• Vehicle rotating backward

The Las Vegas Monorail cost $150 million each mile to construct, and it's cost included a new fleet of trains. I'd imagine expanding the current WDW system would drop that figure by about $50 mil.

Also the firm had to do a ton of testing and other things to satisfy Nevada/Clark County demands. WDW has it's own building codes etc through RCID, so it might be a little less operational cost to get off the ground.

^And Vegas' new trains are Bombardier Mark IV trains. Hmmm...I wonder where they got Mark IV from? And let's not forget, Vegas' got a kickstart with two old WDW Mark IV Monorails.

Back to Orlando, if WDW's system was expanded, they would need more trains then the twelve they have, and a new maintenance facility also.

• May the F=ma be with you

WDW would probally need at least 12 new trains in order to fulfill passanger demands.

Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast