• Yes indeed!

64 76.19%
  • Of course not.

3 3.57%
  • Undecided.

2 2.38%
  • Only to Studios.

2 2.38%
  • Only if one does not have to pay a fare.

13 15.48%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• May the F=ma be with you

WDW Monorail System Expansion

Who is in favor for the Expansion of the WDW MS?
    I most certainly am. I would love to see it connect the 4 parks, Swan/ Dolphin Resorts along with the Beach Club, some other Resorts, DTD and the T&TC. Some estimates that I have seen set the cost between $800,000,000 and $1,000,000,000. Is it worth the price? Possibly. Maybe DIsney would have to implement a cost to ride it outside of the 4 parks and Resorts. This would keep guests from parking for free at DTD and riding the monorail to any park or Resort.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• California Dreamin

Thumbs up Re: WDW Monorail System Expansion

Quote Originally Posted by WDW Monorail View Post
    Who is in favor for the Expansion of the WDW MS?
    I most certainly am. I would love to see it connect the 4 parks, Swan/ Dolphin Resorts along with the Beach Club, some other Resorts, DTD and the T&TC. Some estimates that I have seen set the cost between $800,000,000 and $1,000,000,000. Is it worth the price? Possibly. Maybe DIsney would have to implement a cost to ride it outside of the 4 parks and Resorts. This would keep guests from parking for free at DTD and riding the monorail to any park or Resort.

YES!! Finally someone brings up this subject. I would really, really, really, love to see the WDW Monorail system expanded. Connecting all four parks and downtown disney would be a dream come true for me. I am completely in favor of it. I would gladly pay extra for tickets, or other disney costs if it would help expand the monorail.
    futurecm21
    I am the sailing instructarr. And on movie nights, I run the projectarr. Only PG. Nothing arr.
    - The Sea Captain

• Jambo!

Re: WDW Monorail System Expansion

With the bus system solidly in place, and it being a far cheaper alternative to a new set of monorails, I just don't see an expansion any time soon. The buses are free for anyone staying at any hotel/resort on property (even the non-Disney ones), so you already can just keep your car at your hotel and ride to any of the parks/resorts/DTD and not have to pay any fees beyond the price you paid to get your room. isney management seems pretty content with the bus system which adds more buses all the time to cut down on making too many stops. Would I like to see more monorails? Of course, as long as I don't have to pay extra for it, but it's just not cost effective, not unless gas prices become ridiculously high.

I would be far more in favor if it did not cost so much to build. I also do not think that going to Boardwalk area is the best idea.

I think a much better system would be SkyWeb Express, google it or go here:

SkyWeb Express Personal Rapid Transit: Home

Probably cheaper to build because materials don't cost as much. Also you could extend the number of stations to EVERY resort and you wouldn't have to stop at all the stations like you do on the monorail. Read about the system because it is pretty smart.

I have seen several propositions for "People Mover" type transport means. I am not a supporter of these because of their size.

I'd have to go for an expanded system to the 4 parks, DTD, and select hotels for a number of reasons:

1. Less buses. Anyone can ride a bus in almost any major city. For example, where I live, the buses the city uses are the EXACT same as the older WDW buses (not the newer Nova buses), so seeing those buses on property doesn't exactly tell me I'm at WDW, whereas the monorail does.

Also, does anyone LIKE riding the buses? Personally, I hate it, and I usually take an alternate route (even if it takes longer) just to avoid them when I can. I always walk and take the Friendship boats between Epcot and Studios because it's just more relaxing.

2. Capacity. One monorail can hold about 360 people, and a monorail will move those people more quickly than a bus could haul a single load. Now get multiple monorails running on a beam and your capacity is through the roof.

3. Reliability. The WDW monorail system is one of the most reliable transportation systems in the world, not world as in WDW, but world as in the entirety of earth.

4. Safety. I'm not saying buses are not safe and monorails have a perfect record. Usually when there is an accident involving a Disney bus, it's not the driver's fault. However, monorails are safer than buses.

5. Environment. The buses are cleaner than ever before, but the monorails are still cleaner, even considering the extra output required at the power plant. Also, monorails put out much less noise pollution.

6. Less road traffic. With an expanded monorail system, there will be less buses and less Guests driving themselves, making the current road system safer and more efficiently.

7. Cost efficiency. Even with an expanded monorail system, it will cost less to run than the current bus system. There will be less labor cost when looking at drivers/pilots as a single monorail carries a lot of people and requires less training than a bus driver. According to http://www.monorailyellow.com, it costs about $0.08 per passenger mile to run the current monorail system.

Maintenance might break even. With buses, the parts are much easier to get, but it goes through them faster and requires more labor hours. With monorails, almost all the parts are custom made, but they do not need to be replaced as often which means less labor hours. I imagine preventative maintenance would be about even between the two.

Yes, the initial cost will be a lot, but it could be made up. Guests will pay a premium to stay at a monorail-served resort, so a portion can be made up there. But more will be made all across the shops on property, hear me out on this one.

Right now, Guests can not spend money while on Disney transportation. Also, they can not spend any money while waiting for Disney transportation. So the goal is, move all of the Guests quicker, so they can get back to spending money in the shops, parks, restaurants, etc. An expanded monorail system will do that in a way the current bus system never could.

Furthermore, the happier a Guest is, the more money they will spend. In terms of transportation, the less a Guest has to wait, the happier that Guest will be; and the quicker a Guest gets to their destination, the happier that Guest will be. Also, in terms of Guest happiness, most Guests prefer taking a monorail over a bus, so if they can take a favored form of transportation, the happier that Guest will be. As has been said, a monorail can do this in a way buses cannot, so a monorail expansion would generate more income across WDW indirectely.

Overall, Guests will be moved about WDW more quickly, and more happily, meaning they will want to spend more money on property, and they will have the chance to do so.

I think there should be some fares charged, like in the case of DTD so it doesn't fill up with people looking for free parking. If you're staying on resort, you just slip your key through the turnstile and you're good to go at no charge; no matter what resort your staying at and where you're going.

In the case of DTD, the fare should be about what the current park parking price is. If you're a resort Guest, you ride for free. If you park at a park you would be given a pass to use for free monorail rides from DTD.

Kind of went on there, but I think an expanded monorail system could do WDW a lot of good.

• golly gawrrsh

Quote Originally Posted by futurecm21 View Post
    YES!! Finally someone brings up this subject. I would really, really, really, love to see the WDW Monorail system expanded. Connecting all four parks and downtown disney would be a dream come true for me. I am completely in favor of it. I would gladly pay extra for tickets, or other disney costs if it would help expand the monorail.
    futurecm21

I put a post up about this in the summer - i think it's a wonderful idea.

they could have 2 lines - park line and resort line.

now that our daughter is older and out of the more complicated stroller the next time we go back we'll be taking the transit system instead of driving and parking at the parks and although we've always liked the bus system it is lacking in destinations. we stayed at the Movies Resort and had dinner at Animal Kingdom Lodge - to do it via the bus we would have had to go to Animal Kingdom get off wait for another bus then go to the Lodge - we just drove instead.

We also found a lot of resort guest parked at the parks and other resorts.

their profits are large enough that they could spend some of it on expanding the faster and eco friendly monorail instead of adding more buses although they are better then driving to the parks.

• Banned User

it's not only a matter of expense but also a matter of land use. in some areas of the property the area is way too swampy to even put footers. there were problems building the original monorail and a spur was planned
    for MGM but the land it was to be built on was too swampy and the footings sank

• Circle of Ancients

it would be expensive but a much better way to commute than bus... although the whole world would look a little messy unless they built it underground...
    Angels Fan, born and raised.
    Come on you Galaxy.

• See you there!

Wow! A Monorail from OKW to MK, EC, Studios, AK, great! It is so much easier to load my scooter on a Monorail Train than those blank-ity blank buses.

Anything to ease the stress of getting to and from the parks!

But, I don't think it's ever gonna happen anyway. Too much cost, bus service infasturcture there and working. But it's a nice thought anyway.

Just MHO, YMMV

CU@DL

Andy
    -
    What is, is... What is not, is not.

Boom!

I don't ask for much... Just a few little things!

Extra effort yields extraordinary results!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelindude View Post
    it would be expensive but a much better way to commute than bus... although the whole world would look a little messy unless they built it underground...
    I think you're the first person I've ever seen refer to monorail track as a blight.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmash95 View Post
    it's not only a matter of expense but also a matter of land use. in some areas of the property the area is way too swampy to even put footers. there were problems building the original monorail and a spur was planned
    for MGM but the land it was to be built on was too swampy and the footings sank
    I'm not entirely sure I believe this story. It sounds more like something Disney put out there to put off people asking about monorail expansion. There are currently roads that travel to all guest areas of the property and these prexisting paths could potentially be utilized. Newer technology since Disney-MGM Studios was built could lighten the weight of the monorail track will still holding the monorails. The pylons could also be spaced closer together or use something such as arches instead of columns to limit the amount of weight directly applied to each footer.

Frankly, I think the lack of expansion just keeps Wall Street happy. It's a high up front cost with loooong term gains.

Noe pylon foundations have been added other than the current ones that actually support pylons. I have heard that a few foundations had been poured years ago behind The Living sees and in WS Lagoon but these are most likely not true.

• California Dreamin

Sad Re: WDW Monorail System Expansion

Quote Originally Posted by cooknthyme View Post
    I put a post up about this in the summer
    Sorry, I am new to this website, and have never seen this discussion anywhere else.
    futurecm21
    I am the sailing instructarr. And on movie nights, I run the projectarr. Only PG. Nothing arr.
    - The Sea Captain

• World Traveler

I think adding monorails is a great idea. That was Walt's original dream after all. I also wonder how long it will take for Disney to replace the huge parking lots and put in parking structures as they have at Disneyland Park and as Universal has as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeland View Post
    I think adding monorails is a great idea. That was Walt's original dream after all. I also wonder how long it will take for Disney to replace the huge parking lots and put in parking structures as they have at Disneyland Park and as Universal has as well.

Why spend the money to do so?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast