Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

Re: Rixter and MickeyMaxx 1/8/07 WDW Trip Report

Quote Originally Posted by MTNGIRL View Post
    Count me in too! Hugs all around!

You're making me want to make the trek east. I havn't been to WDW since 2004 - I'm getting itchy.

And wow! You and Rick both look great. 2007 is agreeing with you
    Yeah, more hugs. We're going to have to plan our hugs carefully for the end of the month or we'll never have time to get an adult beverage. Can we hug and drink at the same time?

Lu and Rick

"Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

Ernest Thompson Seton

• Still wants to be a cat!

Gosh, I can't believe it's been 2 and a half months since we were all there during the Invasion. I'm so glad your having a good time without us. Say "Hi" to Robert for the Wolfpack if you see him again!

Jealousy is putting it lightly!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Your pictures are just too awesome. Thanks for sharing your trip with us.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

•     
    • Orbital Pluto

Quote Originally Posted by Villains Fan View Post
    How did I miss this thread of two of my favorite people visiting my favorite place?

First off, b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l pictures! I'm so envious of your being there again so wish I was there with you! I'm glad you got the chance to spend some time at the MK and everything looked new and sparkling for you. They even brought out the dignitaries for you. And, by the way $4 for the fudge is worth every bite <yum>.

Have a great time at the show and look forward to seeing and hearing more about your trip!

Thanks, Joanne. You know, we may just add a pillow sprayer position to our next trip east. We'll check with you to see if you're available.

Lu and Rick

Ernest Thompson Seton

•     
    • Orbital Pluto

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy999 View Post
    Gosh, I can't believe it's been 2 and a half months since we were all there during the Invasion. I'm so glad your having a good time without us. Say "Hi" to Robert for the Wolfpack if you see him again!

Jealousy is putting it lightly!
    Well, this trip is largely the fault of you and your husband. How could we not come at these prices? And, yes, while it's not quite as much fun, we are surviving so far without the gang. The invasion trip is one we will never forget, though!

Quote Originally Posted by hollywood1939 View Post
    Your pictures are just too awesome. Thanks for sharing your trip with us.
    Jack, I take pride in you're saying that, considering how great your photos always are. Let's both be modest and just say we have good technology on our side.

Lu and Rick

Ernest Thompson Seton

• Minion

ORDDU: Well, I must say--a day without Rixter & MickeyMaxx is like a day without a broomstick because, then, a witch has no way to fly!

ORGOCH: Too bad they cain't stay longer--so's we could take 'em both back ta Morva with us. Bet they'd be the bombs on a good ol' frog hunt!

ORWEN: We all had such a lovely time together at Disney M-G-M with them, yesterday. The thing that really makes any visit to a Disney theme park special are the people you get to go with. In our case, Rixter and MickeyMaxx made the flight from Morva all the more worthwhile. It was nice to meet Rixter's brother and his girlfriend, too.

ORDDU: Thank you for posting so many wonderful pictures, too, ducklings! We just can't quite decide which one to pick as a ball saver inside the old crystal!

ORWEN: Oh! And WDWJason said he had a wonderful time seeing you all again, too! Some day we'll fly him and some others down to San Diego so we can all be together again! Hugs & Kisses!!

• Minion

ORWEN: Oh! And hello to you, Wolfy999, duckling! We'll try to pass on your greetings to that mysterious man you called Robert--who people are always getting mixed up with us. (I don't know why they do that, though. There's only one of him while there's 3 of us!)

ORDDU: Plus he's a man, whereas we're all women.

ORWEN: Sometimes I'm not sure what sex Orgoch is, though...

• Again! Again! Again!

I'm glad you guys are having such a fabulous time!!! Love all the pictures! Brings back lots of memories from October....along with making me want to go back! Can't wait for more of the report!!
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

• Banned User

Jason can feed me with a spoon anytime.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMaxx View Post

Jack, I take pride in you're saying that, considering how great your photos always are. Let's both be modest and just say we have good technology on our side.

Lu and Rick

Haha, well I owe my camera a lot. Keep 'em coming!
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

Blog Entries

I can't wait to see your pics of Universal. My wife and I have AP's for there because we can't afford Disney right now and we have a blast everytime we go. There's some problems at that park to be sure, as there are at WDW as well, but it's not nearly as bad as most people on here make it out to be.

As to your comments on Disney Studios:

This is an attractive park, which was exceptionally clean, but there is not a lot to do, which is sad, because it offers some of the most charming theming and some really decent restaurants.
    I wholeheartedly agree. This park has so much potential. My wife and I still find it as one of our favorite parks. I think that has to do mainly with the theming and level of detail as we just love looking around as it definitely isn't because of the great attractions. The only attraction there that we really like is ToT. I really hope that after they invest in refurbing MK (which needs it), and doing something for Epcot's 25th (please, please, please), that they'll spend the money and really invest into bringing MGM up to the level it should so definitely be at. DAK needs about two more good attractions but I don't think it's as high on the priority list (now that Everest has gone in) as MGM is for needed help.

MGM needs to have the tram ride completely reimagined, at least two good dark rides, and to have Star Tours redone and then maybe it'll be a great full day park again.

•     
    • Orbital Pluto

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORWEN: Oh! And hello to you, Wolfy999, duckling! We'll try to pass on your greetings to that mysterious man you called Robert--who people are always getting mixed up with us. (I don't know why they do that, though. There's only one of him while there's 3 of us!)

ORDDU: Plus he's a man, whereas we're all women.

ORWEN: Sometimes I'm not sure what sex Orgoch is, though...
    Witches, the three of you were all superb hostesses and were all on your best behavior. You are all delightful and we enjoyed every moment we had with you. Too short, for sure. Robert? What Robert?

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy4 View Post
    I'm glad you guys are having such a fabulous time!!! Love all the pictures! Brings back lots of memories from October....along with making me want to go back! Can't wait for more of the report!!
    Kidlette, you have no idea how much fun this trip has been. We've been going nonstop for a full week and every day we are rarin' to start all over again. There is no end to the things to do here.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Jason can feed me with a spoon anytime.
    Jason is easy on the eyes and when you add in his southern accent and the fact that he is one of the sweetest persons to come down the pike in a long time, you can see what an asset he is to Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    I can't wait to see your pics of Universal. My wife and I have AP's for there because we can't afford Disney right now and we have a blast everytime we go. There's some problems at that park to be sure, as there are at WDW as well, but it's not nearly as bad as most people on here make it out to be.

As to your comments on Disney Studios:

I wholeheartedly agree. This park has so much potential. My wife and I still find it as one of our favorite parks. I think that has to do mainly with the theming and level of detail as we just love looking around as it definitely isn't because of the great attractions. The only attraction there that we really like is ToT. I really hope that after they invest in refurbing MK (which needs it), and doing something for Epcot's 25th (please, please, please), that they'll spend the money and really invest into bringing MGM up to the level it should so definitely be at. DAK needs about two more good attractions but I don't think it's as high on the priority list (now that Everest has gone in) as MGM is for needed help.

MGM needs to have the tram ride completely reimagined, at least two good dark rides, and to have Star Tours redone and then maybe it'll be a great full day park again.
    You are right on when it comes to Disney MGM Studios. We love it, but more as a place to relax and people watch, than as a theme park.

We spent a day in Islands of Adventure and a day at Universal Studios. Trip report coming up, hopefully tonight. I'm looking forward to reading your Universal Blog when we get home and I have some serious time for the internet!

Lu and Rick

Ernest Thompson Seton

fun trip report...thanks for sharing

•     
    • Orbital Pluto

Day 4 in the Parks

The next two days should maybe be in the Non-Disney park section, but this is, after all, our trip to WDW, and for the sake of continuity, here it is.

Sunday, we met Rick's brother and his wife at Universal's Islands of Adventure. The four of us all have annual passes. We have parking included, and decided to pop for the $5 extra for priority parking which is supposed to get you a better place. As the fates would have it, we arrived at exactly the same time as Rick's brother. As we were locking up our car, they called to say they had just come down the escalator from their parking and were on the main concourse that leads to the park. Rick told them to stay still and we would be there soon. We walked out to the concourse adjacent to our car and there they were. They did not pay extra for parking and were parked almost exactly above us. The only penalty they paid was to have to take an escalator down one floor.

EVERY escalator and moving sidewalk worked, and Universal pays good attention to pedestrian traffic, and makes sure more moving sidewalks are moving in the direction the heavier traffic is moving.

Universal has instituted the scan your pass, put your finger in a reader system like the Disney parks here. With the exception that the Universal system doesn't work very well. The finger reader thingies look like they were purchased at Big Lots, with their wire slinking around and under the turnstyle somewhere. Helping the flow, was not a single employee manning the new technology who was born before the year 1922. We would scan, then put our fingers on the mark and it wouldn't work. They would then wipe the glass on the scanner with a tissue and we would repeat the process again . . . and again . . . and again. This would happen until some short circuit would kick in and you would either gain access, or the octogenarian would give up and just wave you through. Good times!

This was to be a short day, because we all wanted to go back to Tim's hotel and watch the Chargers lose, as it turned out, so we just wanted to hit a couple of our favorites from last October and go the great circle that is Islands of Adventure, taking a few photos along the way.

First up, Spiderman, the Ride.

We just flat love Spiderman, and no other theme park has anything like it. I'm not one to ride most rides over and over once I've experienced them. Pirates and Haunted Mansion are must do's for me every time I'm in Disneyland, but this is another ride that fits in that category. Disney needs to borrow a little of the technology used here, add their undeniable magic and wow us all again, like they used to.

We decided to ride the Dr. Seuss, high in the sky (I cannot remember the name . . . can you tell) ride. The wait was like 40 minutes. By the time rode it, it was time for lunch and then Tim and Annette had to leave to go prepare snacks for the big game. The CMs on this ride were typical of all the Universal employees we interacted with this day. They were working their butts off to make sure they presented a good show and that the public had a good time. As every train loaded, they would say, "All Aboard" and it was our job to say, "Woo Woo" louder than the competing crowd on the other side of the platform. Dumb, maybe, but everyone was into it, most of all the CMs. They made the long wait worth it.

Our loading CM on the Seussy Trolly in the Sky Thingy Ride

Measure twice, cut once, bend forty times. How ever does a construction crew turn the Seuss-like structure that houses this ride into an actual building?

Tim and Rick on a big boy Fire Engine. This is for their Mom, since their late Dad was a Fireman.

Rick with a box of Extra Sour Salt Water Taffy that MiceChatters may remember from our last trip here.

After the others left, Rick and I circled the park taking photos before we had to leave for the game.

Last shot is of actual beer being carried around the park. Something you are apparently allowed to do, because we saw people doing it all day. Kinda foreign to us Disneylanders.

We love this park and wish we had more time to ride more rides, but we had a wonderful time anyway. It is absolutely on a par with Disney in the extensive detailing of the architecture and in the ride systems. The two things that we found disconcerting were the employees who try to get you to take posession of a "free" tote bag on the way into the park, in exchange for filling out a credit application for a Universal credit card. We were asked by multiple people, very pushy people each time we entered and left the parking structure. The other thing is their photographers, who block your way while trying to get you to pose for a photo. In one case, there were four of them covering the entire entry to part of the park, and they were all weaving and dodging like pro basketball players trying to get you to stand still for a photo. So out of place, where we found ALL the rest of the CMs to be on a par with the very best Disney CMs. A small quibble, but it just wasn't appropriate.

Overall, this park is A+++ and we will be back again so we can do it justice!

Day 5 in the Parks

Day five, plus two days working a huge trade show make for a lot of walking, but we are surprisingly chipper and eager to go each morning. Today started out at FedEx Kinkos, shipping a huge box home of things that won't fit in our luggage. Far easier than lugging it to the airport in a few days.

After that, we headed back to Universal to do the Studios park. We had little time there last October and wanted time to take in the superb architecture of all the different sections. The finger readers worked first time today and we first headed to get some lunch. We had a good and reasonable sandwich just inside the gate. We then hit the Lucy Tribute. I'm such a sap, I always pine for the days when Lucy was still alive and get misty over her troubles with Ricky. See, I said I was a sap. Enough already, Jimmy Neutron was calling to us. This ride is a kick, and for a ride simulator sort of experience, looks to be fairly inexpensively constructed. It is a real hoot, however, and the entire audience was screaming as we were "flying", nearly missing buildings, people and actually busting through one wall. The real kicker is the humor throughout this film. It's thrilling and funny, funny, funny. The Chicken Dance sequence certainly brought back memories of the October MiceChat Invasion, and when the ride was over, the whole audience was laughing uncontrollably. Good show!

Jimmy Neutron's home base.

Rick wanted to ride the Mummy coaster, which falls under my "I've experienced it once, I'm not doing it again" rule, so while he did that, I wandered around and took photos of the New York section.

Here are some New York street shots.

Once out of Mummy, (which Rick didn't like as well as the Hollywood version), he climbed into this contraption. What is this a Frankenstein brain energize device? Whatever. Didn't seem to make much difference in Rick.

We continued over to Men in Black which we rode last visit, but neither of us could remember a thing about it.

Great pseudo World's Fair type architecture.

Don't know if our score was any good, but this is another great ride. Very entertaining and beautifully themed from the time you get sight of the building, throughout the que and on the ride, itself.

Wandering toward the exit, we enjoyed seeing the Hollywood/Los Angeles streets.

Streetmosphere included maybe 9 classic cars.

This same landmark is in Disney/MGM Studios park, but is about a 60% sized version of the real thing.

Some more.

Ciro's was a premier night club in it's prime, and a sad little gay bar when I visited it a time or two in my youth.

We had hoped to ride ET, since we no longer have it in California, but it was experiencing troubles.

Some views across the lake on our way out.

Once again, we had a great time at Universal Studios. Super friendly CMs, convincing, detailed sets, streets full of customers, obviously having a good time. We noticed that Universal provides tons of benches and other seating opportunities for their customers. It also seemed that all the eating establishments we checked out had huge seating areas for the guests. Nice touches.

Another park we will gladly spend a lot more time at in the future.

OK, kids. EPCOT is tomorrow, so I better call it a night. Thanks to all of you for your kind comments.

Lu and Rick

Ernest Thompson Seton

• World Traveler

Your pictures keep getting better and better! Thank you so much!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast