Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

Rixter and MickeyMaxx 1/8/07 WDW Trip Report

On Monday, the 7th, Rick and I took off from LAX for Orlando. This is our fourth trip in the last three years. We've had so much fun here recently, that last trip we upgraded our admission tickets to annual passes. We have some fun things planned this trip. We are also attending the Surf Expo, a trade show for retailers where we hope to buy much of the merchandise for next summer. We'll also be touching bases with Witches of Morva who we had fun with last trip here in October and some of his friends who recently visited Southern California and made the trek to the San Diego Zoo, which was a blast. Rick's brother and his fianceé who live here in Florida are coming up this Saturday and Sunday to visit and go to theme parks with us.

Since Monday was our travel day, we hit our first park, Animal Kingdom on Tuesday. The weather here is far colder than at home and we were glad that Rick packed our windbreakers in his tote. We would have been miserable without them.

Us at the entrance of Animal Kingdom

A million dreams are happening here, too.

The sights and the detail of this park set new standards, even for Disney. Here are a few shots of Everest and some others which struck us as especially well done.

One of dozens of shots of the best ride Disney has done in the last decade (our biased opinion).

Laundry laid out to dry by the natives.

Stunning river scenes are around every bend.

We quickly made our way to the Theater in the Wild to que up for the Nemo stage show. While I held our places, Rick ran over to Expedition Everest to get fast passes.

The wait went quickly for the Nemo show and the theater has not only been enclosed since we last saw Tarzan Rocks here, but the colors and decor were done to an underwater tee.

Since no shots of any kind were allowed, we snuck a couple without using a flash, so they aren't the sharpest, but you can get an idea of the staging.

The screen prior to the show starting.

Nemo and his classmates in "school".

The birds after the show is over and folks are leaving say "mine" repeatedly and then start saying "bye, bye, and then bye-bye". Too cute.

A couple of shots from the Everest ride. Others have done better, but this is a new camera and I'm not the best on roller coasters as it is.

These last few pictures are of the Christmas tree at AK. The ornaments were huge and all hand crafted. Very classy and unique.

After a day at the park, we headed home to get ready to see La Nuba at Downtown Disney that night. We were completely blown away by the talent and raw physical ability of these performers. No one skipped a beat for the entire performance and if you haven't seen this we urge you to do so. It is funny, chilling and oh so off the wall, but it grabs you by your emotions and doesn't let go until the house lights finally come up.

After the show, we made our way to the Animal Kingdom Lodge for dinner at Boma. I used the men's room before we went down for dinner, and found a strange note in the stall I used. Now, I know the spelling is wrong, but I'm just wondering if Lindsaybog left a lasting impression on a Floridian on our last trip in October. I'll let the picture speak for itself.

The food at Boma was amazing. Rick best described it by saying that all the flavors were so bright. Most unusual combinations of foods and spices, but everything we tasted was nothing short of wonderful. Service was fine, but far from great. We kept forgetting to take a photo of a full plate, so here is one with a few morsels missing from it.

We had a wonderful day one and it would have been spot on perfect, if not for our hotel neighbor's child who is apparently Satan's child. One more night next to these folks, and we'll be asking to move.

More to come tomorrow.

Lu and Rick
    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

— Ernest Thompson Seton

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Re: Rixter and MickeyMaxx 1/8/07 WDW Trip Report

Wow, your pictures are amazing! Love the EE shots! Keep it up!
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• e komo mai

Love the pics!
    Can't wait to hear more.

•     
    • Orbital Pluto

Quote Originally Posted by hollywood1939 View Post
    Wow, your pictures are amazing! Love the EE shots! Keep it up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Cricket View Post
    Love the pics!
    Can't wait to hear more.
    Thanks, gents. We're having great fun. The only thing better would be if some of you folks could have come along.

I'm such a goof. I posted that report and when I got your replies minutes later I thought, "what are those two doing up so late?" Turns out I'm the one on the East coast and it's 2:20 am here!

Lu and Rick

— Ernest Thompson Seton

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMaxx View Post

The sights and the detail of this park set new standards, even for Disney.
    Animal Kingdom is definitely the most beautiful out of the four parks too in my opinion. However, even Animal Kingdom pales in comparison to Tokyo DisneySea when it comes to beauty and detail. The visuals are just so rich and elaborate; I truly think that Tokoy DisneySea is the most beautiful theme park in the world.

Back on topic, I'm glad you enjoyed Expedition Everest. A lot of people seem to think it's overrated, but I certainly don't think so. Ever since they first announced it back in 2003, I've been eagerly awaiting the results. Expedition Everest fits in the Asia section perfectly and compliments everything else in the park extremely well, creating excellent photo locations too!

And on a similar note, I must say that I'm one of the few people that enjoy theming over attractions. I think that Animal Kingdom is highly underrated since most people seem to think of it as a half-day park. I hope Expedition Everest is removing some of this negativity but from the looks of things, Animal Kingdom is still the least favorite out of the four parks for many guests. It pains me to see people rushing off to attractions instead of taking the time to appreciate the little details that are scattered everywhere.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• World Traveler

Great report so far! I'd love to see more. Thanks.

Love the pictures and the TR! It both looks and sounds like you guys had a lot of fun!

AK is definitely the most beautiful park in WDW

•     
    • Orbital Pluto

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    Animal Kingdom is definitely the most beautiful out of the four parks too in my opinion. However, even Animal Kingdom pales in comparison to Tokyo DisneySea when it comes to beauty and detail. The visuals are just so rich and elaborate; I truly think that Tokoy DisneySea is the most beautiful theme park in the world.

Back on topic, I'm glad you enjoyed Expedition Everest. A lot of people seem to think it's overrated, but I certainly don't think so. Ever since they first announced it back in 2003, I've been eagerly awaiting the results. Expedition Everest fits in the Asia section perfectly and compliments everything else in the park extremely well, creating excellent photo locations too!

And on a similar note, I must say that I'm one of the few people that enjoy theming over attractions. I think that Animal Kingdom is highly underrated since most people seem to think of it as a half-day park. I hope Expedition Everest is removing some of this negativity but from the looks of things, Animal Kingdom is still the least favorite out of the four parks for many guests. It pains me to see people rushing off to attractions instead of taking the time to appreciate the little details that are scattered everywhere.
    We love a good roller coaster as much as the next guys, but what makes Disney so special for us is the theming and the back story. I think EE does that better than any Disney attraction yet. One of these days, I'm going to literally take an hour or more to read every note, study each piece of artifacts along the way to the ride. The theming on that ride is as detailed, convincingly realistic and creative as anything I have ever seen. It's a nice enough roller coaster and employs many clever tricks along the way, but much more than that, it is an experience.

As to Animal Kingdom as a whole day experience, much of the park is designed to provide an educational experience. Like a museum or a great zoo, there is much to be seen and much to be learned. That's lost on most, but the more I visit this park, the more I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeland View Post
    Great report so far! I'd love to see more. Thanks.
    No, no, thank you. More to come later tonight . . . if I can stay awake long enough. We spent today working, buying merchandise for this summer at the Surf Expo in Orlando. Tomorrow will be dedicated to that, too, but I do have another day's Disney park photos to post later.

Quote Originally Posted by ieffectfor_disney View Post
    Love the pictures and the TR! It both looks and sounds like you guys had a lot of fun!

AK is definitely the most beautiful park in WDW
    Thanks, we're having a ball. We're just like kids when we're in a Disney park. We must have circumnavigated the Magic Kingdom 8 times yesterday.

Lu and Rick

— Ernest Thompson Seton

• MiceChat News Team
    • Sparkle Plenty

I absolutely love-love-love this picture of you guys. You both look very cool but not cold and unapproachable cool -- just like -- hmm, the kind of people you want to hang around with all day long. Great picture. Very striking.

Us at the entrance of Animal Kingdom

We had a wonderful day one and it would have been spot on perfect, if not for our hotel neighbor's child who is apparently Satan's child.
    I am so sorry to laugh, but it's easy for me to find it funny in California. I hope Rosemary's Baby settles down tonight.

• Circle of Ancients

Awesome pics you guys. Were jealous were not there to spend it with you this time.

Have a great trip ...

• Feeling LOVED

Im sooo jealous..we just had to cancel our trip for Feb.. I sooo miss WDW...keep them coming!!
    HEARTS CLUB !!

Great pictures. AK was the Wolfpacks favorite park when we went in October. Wwent twice during those six days. Have fun and keep us updated.

P.S. it pays to take your travel agent with you, guarantees good weather

• Minion

We love a good roller coaster as much as the next guys, but what makes Disney so special for us is the theming and the back story. I think EE does that better than any Disney attraction yet.
    I don't think Expedition Everest beats out Tower of Terror, Journey to the Center of the Earth (E-ticket at Tokyo DisneySea), or Indiana Jones Adventure when it comes to theming or backstory, but it's pretty well themed for a roller coaster. Definitely the most themed roller coaster in the world!
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

Great pictures and a great report! My you both look dashing

Glad you are having such a great trip.

•     
    • Orbital Pluto

Day 2 - The Magic Kingdom

Last October, the only time we spent in the MK, was for Mickey's not so Scarey Halloween Party, so this trip we were ready to spend some serious time there. We started the day being, perhaps, a little too detail oriented. We took nearly 2 hours to do half of Main Street. If we were going to make it to the hub before the park closed, we needed to pick up the pace a bit.

Boarding ramp for our Monorail to the MK

Here comes our train!

On final approach to the Magic Kingdom.

Makes our hearts skip a beat, just like every time we enter Disneyland.

An actual barber shop on Main Street.

And . . . an actual Italian restaurant!

The first view of the castle always takes our breath away.

When did fudge become $4.00 a piece? Yes, we bought some.

Rick with the Mayor and Fire Chief of Main Street.

This cute little parade seemed to happen every couple of hours on Main Street. Headed by Pluto, there was a band, people with a very big drum and iit had several groups of park visitors doing useful things like holding hula hoops in the air, banging tamborines and waving pom poms. Guessing they were the lucky recipients of some of those million dreams.

There, wasn't that fun?

The gantry we don't have anymore in Anaheim.

A ride we don't have anymore in Anaheim.

And, a Comedy Club we don't have in Anaheim . . . or apparently Orlando either.

Every Speedramp we encountered was running.

And wait times? Space Mountain's stand-by time tells it all. At 5 minutes it was typical.

We had lunch at Pecos Bill's. That's the place with the missing hot cheese sauce, but after the mushrooms, grilled onions, lettuce, tomatoes and pickles, cheese sauce would have been proof positive of over-doing-it.

The burning cabin wasn't, but there were many picturesque sites to be seen from the Liberty Belle's deck.

We felt there had been a lot of maintenance at MK since our trip in October. Many areas showed evidence of fresh paint. The Liberty Belle itself looked as though it had just rolled out of the factory. Every inch was beautifully painted, the brass sparkling, the wood glistened. Plantings throughout the park were beautiful and even the artificial flowers on the window sills in Fantasyland looked brand new.

The "Disney Dreams Come True" Parade was cute with a catchy song, and while most of the floats were recycled, the performers gave it their all. It was very high energy and the crowd loved it. Before the parade, the CMs kept the children entertained by playing jump rope, teaching them dances, and playing ball and other games with them. We were very impressed with the CMs at both parks our first two days. We pulled out a park map to find something and one came running over to us to see if he could help. Very sweet, very Disney.

Some parade pics.

We ended up closing the park and watched the fireworks from the Tomorrowland Terrace Noodle Station seating, same place we enjoyed them with our MiceChat friends last October.

The park closed at 8, which is when the fireworks started. We didn't get out of the park until around 9:30 and there were masses of people who left with us. We were stunned by the ability of the monorails to clear that huge crowd in a matter of minutes. Very impressive.

Here's one last photo to prove we were actually there.

We attended the Surf Expo trade show today, buying merchandise for the summer season and will do another day there tomorrow, so no updates are likely for a couple of days. We come home next Thursday, so there should be much more to report toward the weekend.

Lu and Rick

— Ernest Thompson Seton

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast