Thread: Dolphin Pics

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Dolphin Pics

I was wondering if anybody could please help me find or provide me with some phtographs of the Dolphin Hotel. I'd really like some of the top of the tower sticking up over World Showcase.

Also, does anybody know the story behind the giant glass squares? I don't want to here the fake monorail story.

Thanks.

Re: Dolphin Pics

The big black square is a signature of sorts of Michael Graves. I have heard the monorail story too, and it doesn't make sense.
    Check out Allearsnet
    http://allearsnet.com/acc/g_dol.htm
    or
    wdwinfo
    (http://www.wdwinfo.com/photos/swan-Dolphin/index.htm) for pictures

I found another one:
    http://www.wdwphotovacation.com/wdwp...xe/dolphin.htm

• Shubisha

It's an homage to the original shape of the monorail. It was quickly abandoned unfortunately, as it had a tendancy for a bumpy ride.

• Having a Grand Day!

Put extremely simply, the Dolphin's pyramid is meant to symbolize a mountain, with the black square symbolizing the heart of the mountain. The Swan got one for consistency.

According to the Asst. Manager of the Dolphin that I spoke to face-to-face just a few hours ago regarding architect Michael Grave's design for the Dolphin...the pyramid represents a mountain rising out of a tropical forest, with the dark square representing a cave in that mountain. Caves providing "shelter." Hotels providing shelter. He had no idea what the Swan's black square represented if anything. He suggested I go over there and ask, but I didn't have enough free time.

He said he had heard the Monorail story many times and it could have been planned at some very early point, but as far as he was concerned, it was an unsubstantiated story.

Massive LotusPhere (computer software vendors) convention going on. Had armed sheriffs at every entrance to the Dolphin and Swan's parking lots and buildings. They really gave me the third degree as to what I wanted there. Checked my drivers license closely, eyed me suspiciously, and finally let me pass. Wonder if they had a VIP guest speaker or something? Thousands of attendees from all over the world. Hundreds of them were outside standing around smoking during what must have been a break. Most doing this were not speaking English. I heard Italian, German, Swiss-German, French, Spanish. Smoking still going strong in Europe it seems. At least with computer geeks.

My 5 nights at Wallet Disney World are just about over, and I head to the airport in about 45 minutes, much lighter in said wallet.

I love the absurdly ridiculous monorail going thru the hotel story ... it just won't die.

Too bad the footers planted go nowhere near the hotel, and the station was planned to be roughly in front of the YC Convention Ctr. ... stupidity is always much more engaging!