The differences between working for WDW and DL

Alright, so I am a California resident and I am very familliar with how it is to work for DisneyLand. But one of my dreams is to actually work at Disneyworld and it actually looks like I'm stable enough to make a move like that now. Keep in mind this is non-college program employment I'm looking at. My question is what is the differences between being employed at WDW then DL. How does the "Right to work" thing effect how things are done? Do they have the same departments (Foods, attractions, entertainment) and do they have organized the same way DL does? And in these departments do they offer cross-training? How does the Lead, trainer, manager status work over there? I would appreciate any hints and tips people can give to me.

Re: The differences between working for WDW and DL

i think that should be a great Experience but the 100% HUMIDITY in summer will kill me .
    HKDL : Done !!!

Right to Work basically means you cannot be forced to join the union when you get a job. If you are in a position represented by the union, you can join the union if you want to, biut it is not a requirement of the job.

As far as departments go, from what I know about Disneyland, the departments here at Disney World are pretty much the same. There is Attractions, Merchandise, Food & beverage, Rooms, Photo Imaging etc.

Since the cost of living in Florida is lower than that in teh Los Angeles area, the pay rate may be lower than that in California.

• Monorail Racer

It's easier to make a livable wage in FL than it is in CA. The starting pay is probably lower, but it's incredibly cheaper to live near WDW, too.

There are some similarities to DL, but WDW has so many parks, hotels, merchandise locations, etc. that it's a much bigger operation and you'll really be focused on the area you're working. MK attractions isn't necessarily the same kind of world and culture as Disney-MGM attractions. With so many employees and different locations, I think it's easier for there to be differences in the same departments at different parks and hotels than you might find at DL.

Just like anywhere, there can be a lot of BS to deal with from time to time, but I enjoyed my time working at WDW. It was a lot of fun and I made a lot of friends there.
    Warning: Portions of this attraction are intense and may not be appropriate for younger children.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Right to Work basically means you cannot be forced to join the union when you get a job. If you are in a position represented by the union, you can join the union if you want to, biut it is not a requirement of the job.
    It also means you can be fired for any reason at all... or for even no reason.

One thing I might add is that at WDW you will be surrounded by veterans of employment with the Company. WDW has a LOT more full time positions and therefore people can actually scrape by and make a living working there in that lower cost of living city, and will actually stay and make it a career for 10,20, 30 years. Because of that, I'd venture to say that your cast member interactions are going to be more valuable because you're dealing with people who treat the place as their own and know the full history, unlike the average Anaheim college student who considers it a party for two months, gets bored, and moves on.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by ti2gr View Post

As far as departments go, from what I know about Disneyland, the departments here at Disney World are pretty much the same. There is Attractions, Merchandise, Food & beverage, Rooms, Photo Imaging etc.

Since the cost of living in Florida is lower than that in teh Los Angeles area, the pay rate may be lower than that in California.
    This brings up another question, which is do the unions actually have any kind of influence that makes them worth joining? I know at Disneyland, the union's presence is almost a token formality and has a real "yes sir, Mr. Grier sir" sort of attitude. Meanwhile I've heard of talk from WDW CMs where if Person A was terminated for whatever s/he could "take it up with the union" and get that job back.

I don't know if the union situation was any different or if these people were just naive. I know if the union was as bendy as the ones in CA there wouldn't be any incentive to join it IMO.

• Irrational Mr. Toad Fan

IMHO in WDW the unions are actually too powerful. There are many employees that I believe should get fired but the management can't get the reprimands/terminations to stick.

• KING OF CABMF'S

Quote Originally Posted by Hench View Post
    what is the differences between being employed at WDW then DL.
    well, besides the fact that WDW is funner id say that florida is more of a tourist trap and WDW is in my ideas more exciting because u have universal and seaworld to the north (BOO) NANA to the south (YAY) and WARM OCEANS to the east and west (DOUBLE YAY) ROFL ROFL ROFL
    ADD ME.[:

WHAT I'VE LEARNED FROM MICECHAT...
    1. IF YOU APPRECIATE SOMETHING THAT ISN'T THE MAJORITY OPINION, YOU'RE NOT WANTED HERE.
    2. IF THERE'S CHIPPED PAINT IN THE QUEUE FOR A LINE, EXPECT SOMEONE TO WRITE OUT A BIG STORY BASHING IT. WOOHOO.
    3. IF YOU'RE UNDER THE AGE OF 24, YOU'RE AN 'EISNER BRAT.'
    4. PEOPLE WHO ARE DEEMED AS 'MODERATORS' AND OTHER ADMINISTRATION ARE MORE IMPORTANT DIETIES THAN JESUS CHRIST.
    5. YOU CAN EXCPECT TO BE BADLY REPPED IF YOU TRY AND MAKE A SERIOUS POINT.
    6. YOU ARENT TAKEN SERIOUS IF YOU'RE UNDER THE AGE OF 16.
    7. AS AN ADD-ON TO #6, YOU SHOULD BE TREATED AS A SUBORDINATEIF YOU ARE IN A THEME PARK WAITING 30 MINUTES IN LINE FOR A DRINK WHILE SOMEONE HAS TO RECOUNT PIZZAS.
    8. "Disney may not care to hear your comments, but we do." WTFFF??? THIS ISN'T A DISNEY FAN FORUM, IT'S A DISNETY BASHING SITE.
    9. CERTAIN PEOPLE OVER ANALYZE A SIMPLE THREAD AND CONSIDER IT TO BE A CONTRACT FULL OF LOOPHOLES THAT HE/SHE CAN GET AROUND.
    AND FINALLY...
    10. PROLONGED USE OF THIS SITE CAN CAUSE AN EXTREME HATE OF DISNEY AND ALL DISNEY RELATED THINGS.

M-U-H Muhfukka.
    [:

• Disappearing/Reappearing

wait...is it really that cheap to live in Orlando? I've been trying to talk hubby into getting us stationed at Tampa so I can work in DisneyWorld...he thinks it's expensive.

• Irrational Mr. Toad Fan

I'm not sure how cheap it is, but relative to Orange County (CA) anything is going to seem really cheap.

I wouldn't call it "cheap" to live here. My husband and I just retired from the Air Force and moved down here last summer. The cost of car insurance and homeowner's insurance is ridiculous here. Fortunately, I get a retirement check every month, so I work part-time at Disney for fun.

Thanks for your advice guys, defintely good information to chew on. I think I'm going to make the move, just don't know when.