Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• I was deleted.

Re: Shouldn't CM know the characters they work for/with/among??

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyJack65 View Post
    This past Christmas '06 my manager at Disney Store hired seasonal help, and several of them didn't know who various Disney characters were, and were always asking why DS didn't carry Dora the Explorer, Happy Feet penguins, Tweety Bird, or other Nick Jr characters........I wanted to scream!
    Which is why The Children's Place implimented as part of The Disney Store CM's orientation a character exersize. I'm not sure about your store, but at least in ours we educate everyone about who is WB, who is Nick, who is Dreamworks, and why Disney doesn't have Wiggles and Doodlebop, etc. merch.

But yes, I do feel your pain.

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Whoa, if you get that job can I totally be your assistant?
    Hey now! No, you can't do that... you'd bat your eyelashes too much.

• Irrational Mr. Toad Fan

Ok, I love Disney and worked as a cast member on the college program and now as a campus rep. I have no idea who Lumpy is, now a Heffalump sure. Sorry, I think I am one of the more knowledgeable CMs and I had no idea.

• insufferable know-it-all

I know Lady Cluck, Nutsy, Hiss, etc. But no lumpy.

Can CMs really be held responsible for the "dreck-to-video" properties?

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon View Post

The answer is defintely no. The original poster is probably just mad that one of her/his favorite isn't as popular as they think they are. Cast member should and do always know the essentials: Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Donald, Daisy, Pluto, Princesses and classic lead characters (Beast, Pan, Dumbo, Pinocchio), and popular (whatever seems to have alot of merch, right now Stitch, Buzz, Sparrow, Skellington. Fifteen years ago, Roger Rabbit, Little Mermaid, etc.) and Pooh's core characters that were introduced in the original films. Everything else is either a supporting or obscure character. If you are working for Disney, then you do respect the company, but there is only so much of the material that you can watch or remember from when growing. But my list above is the essentials of what a castmember should know(my opinion of course).

• Basking in birthday love

Quote Originally Posted by ZeekSlider View Post
    Then again, I'm the idiot that knows the social status of each of the Disney Princesses. And I'm friends with someone that knows each of the Disney Princesses AGES.
    Aurora, Snow White, Ariel, and Jasmine are born princeses. Cinderella is nobility who married well, and Belle is a peasant who married REALLY well. Aurora and Ariel are definitely 16, Jasmine was supposed to be about 16 but they didn't want to give 16 year old girls a relationship complex, so removed references to her age and played her about 18. I don't know Snow White and Cindy offhand, I'd have to watch those movies again.

What?

• The Darkness to Light

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan View Post
    Which is why The Children's Place implimented as part of The Disney Store CM's orientation a character exersize. I'm not sure about your store, but at least in ours we educate everyone about who is WB, who is Nick, who is Dreamworks, and why Disney doesn't have Wiggles and Doodlebop, etc. merch.

But yes, I do feel your pain.
    Why do you not have Doodlebop products? I'm curious as to the resoning behind that, since it is one of the bigger Playhouse Disney programs.

Quote Originally Posted by aerinpegadrak View Post
    Aurora, Snow White, Ariel, and Jasmine are born princeses. Cinderella is nobility who married well, and Belle is a peasant who married REALLY well. Aurora and Ariel are definitely 16, Jasmine was supposed to be about 16 but they didn't want to give 16 year old girls a relationship complex, so removed references to her age and played her about 18. I don't know Snow White and Cindy offhand, I'd have to watch those movies again.

What?
    Slight correction and addition:

Belle and Cindy are of class, not neccisarrily nobility. Cinderella more clearly stated by her family's surroundings than Belle. Part of the reason why I believe Lady Tramane poisoned her father. Belle, on the other hand, is said to be of class in the Broadway production, which makes sense given how odd she is acting in the peasent village. Chances are that Mauries got ousted by the social circle they were in because of his invention making and was forced to move to a place where people wouldn't bother him.

Snow White is suppose to be 16. Cindy is suppose to be around that same age again. Only Auroura and Areil's ages are clearly stated in their movies (which is kind of creepy when you think about how old their respective princes may be).

Also, Mulan and Pocahontas are part of the Disney Princess franchise. Neither is really a princess, so in reality they are there to just round out the race card.

Pocahontas comes close since she is the daugther of the Powatan, who in the western sense would be like the king of the native American tribe of his area, making her a princess born into status. Historically, she is suppose to be like, what? 12? Disney clearly made her older, making her roughly around her late teens to early 20s.

Mulan, on the other hand, was a peasent that married into a military family, which in the context of that era in China was the most honorable thing a woman could do at the time (marry a member of the Empirer's army), so she gains "princess status" in the sense that she is the wife of someone who is a respected member of the army, but officially doesn't have that title. Historically, I'm not sure how old she was at the time of the events, but in the film she has clearly gotten past puberty and is ready to be wed, which means she is in the range of 16 to 18 years old.

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: Shouldn't CM know the characters they work for/with/among??

If someone asked me about Lumpy, I'd direct them to Wally and the Beaver.

A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

Belle and Cindy are of class, not neccisarrily nobility. Cinderella more clearly stated by her family's surroundings than Belle. Part of the reason why I believe Lady Tramane poisoned her father. Belle, on the other hand, is said to be of class in the Broadway production, which makes sense given how odd she is acting in the peasent village. Chances are that Mauries got ousted by the social circle they were in because of his invention making and was forced to move to a place where people wouldn't bother him.
    I had sort of assumed that Belle was a peasant, but it does make sense, given that reading isn't exactly a lower-class activity. Most of the source versions of Beauty and the Beast start out with Belle's family (she usually has two sisters) living in the city with their wealthy merchant father, and forced to leave town for somewhere cheaper when they lose their entire fortunes in a series of shipping accidents. I know the writers were slowly forced further and further away from the sources in order to make the movie watchable (Screenplay by Disney quotes one of the writers as saying that Beauty and the Beast is a story whose second act consists of the two main characters having dinner night after night, which is pretty damn accurate), but perhaps they kept this idea of Belle's origin in mind, even though they didn't specifically mention it.

Where in the Broadway version do they say Belle comes from money? Not doubting your information, I just haven't seen the show in a while and I don't remember that bit.

I'm less familiar with Cinderella myths, but I had assumed that, given the size of the estate, her father had to be at least a knight or a baron. However, as occurred to me while watching Ever After yesterday, if Disney's Cinderella is the only servant on the entire estate, well, they can't be that well-off.

• A New Kind Of Villain

Quote Originally Posted by aerinpegadrak View Post
    Where in the Broadway version do they say Belle comes from money? Not doubting your information, I just haven't seen the show in a while and I don't remember that bit.
    I think I know what she's talking about.

During Maurice's song "No Matter What", he says to Belle: "You are your mother's daughter, therefore you are class."
    Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon View Post

It's not that CMs shouldk now Lumpy, but it's sadly a no-brainer to TDS CMs because Lumpy is quite popular. TDS has carried him in various products besides just films (PJs, bath toys, magic towels, infant clothing/toys, and plush/seasonal plush just to name a few)

Why do you not have Doodlebop products? I'm curious as to the resoning behind that, since it is one of the bigger Playhouse Disney programs.
    ZeekSlider, we have spent many late nights working talking about such things with Disney characters. I mean, in the original story the Beast was 10.

Regarding The Doodlebops, Disney does not make the shows, but yet just shows them (aka distributes them on their stations in the US and UK.) They are originally from Canada and air on the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corp.) So since Disney didn't create the series they don't own the rights to the characters and names so they can't create merchandise like they can for shows they create (ie Jojo's Circus.)

I hope the helps explain it.

/OT

• A New Kind Of Villain

I mean, in the original story the Beast was 10.
    In the Disney version he was 10 too. It's such a huge plothole that it really bugs me. The flower blooms til his 21st birthday, which means that at films start, he's 20; Lumiere says in "Be Our Guest" that they've been rusting for 10 years, meaning Beast was cursed at 10... but that painting doesn't look at all like a 10 year old (16 year old I'd buy, but not 10.)... and what kind of demented Enchantress judges a 10 year old so harshly? Plus Chip has to be younger than 10, meaning... Mrs. Potts had him after they were cursed??? But that can't be because Chip asks Mrs. Potts at one point if he'll ever be a boy again... meaning he was once a boy...

My brain always hurts when I think about the Beauty & The Beast age plothole...
    Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

Yeah, I really hate that plothole. I know they fixed it in the musical, but I can't remember if they changed the prologue or "Be Our Guest." (The "Be Our Guest" thing is really simple: "it's ten years since we've had anybody here" becomes "it's been years since we've had anybody here." But I'm thinking it was a prologue change. Like I said, it's been a while.)

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Hey now! No, you can't do that... you'd bat your eyelashes too much.
    Girl your crazy, Yoyo is like my brother and unless your from a certain type of family you just don't do that.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Girl your crazy, Yoyo is like my brother and unless your from a certain type of family you just don't do that.
    i have definitely seen it all. you two fighting over a flamingo!
    actually I found somewhere where I can finally put my vast character knowledge to use. Actually it you could add as little as an afternoon to training and have fun exercizes in order to indoctrinate cms into the wonderful world of disney characters.

• WDW Fant! Premiere Cast

I would be thrilled when Mr Smee isn't called "that dwarf" or "Santa Claus" anymore.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast