Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Re: Erin from the Happiest Celebration on Earth DVD?

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    Dan, now that Kryssa is unemployed ... she might be ... dare I say it ... Desperate enough to do Dallas ;-)
    OK, let me explain video to you (and I'm typing slowly so you can keep up). The cameraman takes the pictures, and the editman edits the video, and the cableman puts the pictures on the tv. So I don't think Kryssa was under employment once the cameraman was done with her.

I on the other hand am not done with her. And if she wants to come to a great city and see a great guy, I'll be waiting!!!

^^^Yeah ... well, how do those people get inside my TV ... how do they all fit? Where do they live? Am I paying their plumbing bill? And how'd they get to be so small?

• A Real Disney Attraction

O.K. I watched the DVD.

It was bad.

Not as bad as other things like the miserable AK DVD that I felt ripped-off on. (The Malmberg supplemental Video for AK is a far better presentation of the park, even though more out-dated). It was also better, IMO, than the Kryssa resort TV promo.

That's were I would end the praise.

I thought that 3 of the 4 actors were fine, it was the presentation/script that I felt failed to deliver.

The thrill-ride boy makes Crush the Turtle come-off like George Plimpton. See, that thrill ride boy's performance is one of those little things that help reassure my judgments on the lack of common sense that fill the Team Disney building. Any adult is going to be put off by him immediately and any teenager/kid is going to sniff him out immediately as a poser. First, kids don't act like the caricature the "thrill ride dude" played; that kind of portrayal only insults their intelligence. Second, kids know if the guy was for real he wouldn't be talking about how "wicked" BTMR is but instead appear in front of The Incredible Hulk spouting off on how "narly" the Hulk is. I use the unrealistic Hulk example to try to point out that Disney would rather over-hype instead of play it straight.

So you have this guy who people of every age are either drowning out or mocking, and because of this Disney has just lost the presentation component to their MOST marketable rides. How wise is that?

I also found it disappointing that they utilized the nice female African-American the least. She had the largest responsibility in taking on the "Walt" side of things (things the whole family can do) and they barely used her.

I thought the whole pacing of the presentation was miserable with Disney not only catering to those who have ADD but probably instilling further ADD in our nation's populous. It was very schizophrenic and the moment one could focus on something we were ripped quickly to something else. Funny, considering earlier in this thread I connect Kryssa to Ritalin. It's simply Disney once again trying to market itself for something that it is not. I believe if Disney was more straight-forward with the presentation it could only make their unparalleled product line-up MORE appealing.

I do love the DVD structure and that they finally separated out the resorts from the overall promo. I like the detailed information about the hotels and actually think it would have been to Disney's benefit to have even more detail with this. The resorts have really become just as popular as the parks; one thing to give Mr. Eisner credit for. I also liked that they included DLR and again included a bonus view of the cruise line. The CDROM is very nice too and it is nice to see that their integration of technology & internet have now finally caught up to 2002. Hopefully, by 2008 they will be caught up to were the rest of corporate America is today.

***EDIT : Dan, no worries about the s. brown discussion. You were certainly right about the boy. I also was glad to see that they dialed down the female lead's presence in comparison to their unapologetic fetish w/ Kryssa.
    Last edited by ChiMike; 09-08-2005 at 03:44 PM.
    -Mike

^^^I would agree with all the above. All I can add is the DVD (much like the resort TV stuff with Kryssa and now Stacey) does what Disney has become great at ... namely talking down to its audience and treating them like they are all very simple (i.e stupid).

I guess I didn't get the talking down angle at all. I'm not wild about some of the performances (I really don't think bench warming is an important characteristic of a Disney vacation!). And Mike, I agree with your analysis of surfer dude - big time poser.

But overall, I enjoyed the structure of the main video. I think it did an excellent job of explaining the lay of the lands, with quick stops on most of the attractions. Having multiple hosts kept it fresh, and the edit style is almost right up there with anything else on TV these days (I say almost because it's really not as hyper-kinetic as a lot of editing in commercials and on MTV, which for me is a plus!).

I don't understand why a fast paced program with lots of information packed into a short space is talking down to the audience. You'll have to point me to examples on this one, '74.

• lol

Quote Originally Posted by Modern Folly
    I abhor the "extreme" guy on there who feels the need to spew a bunch of random annoying slang that should of been abandoned in the mid 90s.

Oh God. Please don't remind me. He's like, sooo uncool, yo! Totally NOT gnarley! Word!

• lol

Oh, and by the way, the movie didn't even show any decent shots of Tower! How lame is that?!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Poser boy is lame-o. But the other I thought were definitely doing a decent job. I think after watching it a few times, you get used to it. It's just such a transition from the other planning DVDs that really throws people for a loop.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung
    I guess I didn't get the talking down angle at all. I'm not wild about some of the performances (I really don't think bench warming is an important characteristic of a Disney vacation!). And Mike, I agree with your analysis of surfer dude - big time poser.

But overall, I enjoyed the structure of the main video. I think it did an excellent job of explaining the lay of the lands, with quick stops on most of the attractions. Having multiple hosts kept it fresh, and the edit style is almost right up there with anything else on TV these days (I say almost because it's really not as hyper-kinetic as a lot of editing in commercials and on MTV, which for me is a plus!).

I don't understand why a fast paced program with lots of information packed into a short space is talking down to the audience. You'll have to point me to examples on this one, '74.

OK ... I'll talk real sloooooooooooooooow for you Dan 'cause I know you're from Texas ;-)

Anything that Disney produces nowadays has people 'acting' to fake enthusiasm. Whether it's Kryssa running into Goofy's arms and saying 'I love a man who makes me laugh' or Stacey pretending she thinks cars are gone 'splode while watching the Motors, Action, Boredom stunt show or the surfer dude getting all knarly over Thunder Mountain etc ... they are all so transparent and fake, it is insulting to anyone with a brain.

Why can't a planning video/DVD/resort info simply be that? Why do I need to see people who are obviously NOT having a good time, pretending that they are to convince me to be there. I just laugh at those pieces of drivel and not in a good way.

I don't know why Disney feels the need to be sooooooo obviously over-the-top that only a child, a Disney dweeb or a lonely Texan would enjoy the performance ... it almost dumbs down the product by telling me how I'm supposed to 'act.'

Anyway, on a similar subject, I just blew $50 at the local Disney outlet store and one of the items I bought (partially due to this discussion) was the MK video "Where Magic Lives" which I guess is the one they sold pre-Happiest Marketing Celebration on Earth as it was only $6.99. Haven't watched it yet, but anxious to see what crap they repackaged and repurposed for that one.

I'll let you al know what I think ...

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    I don't know why Disney feels the need to be sooooooo obviously over-the-top that only a child, a Disney dweeb or a lonely Texan would enjoy the performance ... it almost dumbs down the product by telling me how I'm supposed to 'act.'..
    I just think you're a curmudgeon who doesn't like happy people. I think most Texans are happier than you underpriveleged non-Texans.

Erin is going to have a new show on Fox, soon. I think that I would pass that along.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12