Disney's Caribbean Beach resort

This Christmas we were planning on staying at the Beach Club Resort, preferably the Villas. However, due to surgery my dad is having, we will need to downgrade ourselves to the moderate resorts. We don't want to stay at the "value" resorts, because quite frankly, we may not be able to afford the deluxe resorts, but neither do we want to stay at a 2-star hotel of which the Pop Culture, Music, and All-Sports resorts are rated. So, we're leaning towards Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort. I priced both this resort and Coronado Springs and they are both the same, but I wonder, from any MiceChatters who have stayed at these resorts, the qaulity of these resorts. I know that most of you are going to say that they're both great, but I guess I want good critism. Back in 2000, we stayed at the lovely Grovsnor Resort and we dclared that if we ever came to Disney World again, never would we stay at the hotels of the Boulevard, no matter what our budget. the pillows were flat, the mattress made us sink, the bathroom sink had dried boogers, it was just disgusting. I'd never recommend it to anyone. That's what I mean by quality. I'm sure these two moderate resorts are nothing like that, God forbid, but I guess I want this kind of recommendations (or non-recommend).

Any information and/or advice would help, thanks.

• done

Re: Disney's Caribbean Beach resort

We just stayed at the CBR a couple weeks ago, and we really liked it. It was our second time visiting WDW and our first time staying on property. Very pretty resort, nice calypso music. I thought the room was fine, but I wasn't looking for anything more than a comfortable and nice room and bed to sleep in.

The only criticisms I can think of for the CBR versus a deluxe (based on touring the Magic Kingdom resorts) is that the CBR doesn't have nearly the same kind of food, shopping and amenities available. The CBR has one table-service restaurant, only open for dinner. They have a food court of sorts that has fairly generic food. There's a decent gift shop.

Are there specific things that are extremely important to you? If you can say what those are, I can tell you how that applies to CBR.

Quote Originally Posted by InnerSpace View Post
    This Christmas we were planning on staying at the Beach Club Resort, preferably the Villas. However, due to surgery my dad is having, we will need to downgrade ourselves to the moderate resorts. We don't want to stay at the "value" resorts, because quite frankly, we may not be able to afford the deluxe resorts, but neither do we want to stay at a 2-star hotel of which the Pop Culture, Music, and All-Sports resorts are rated. So, we're leaning towards Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort. I priced both this resort and Coronado Springs and they are both the same, but I wonder, from any MiceChatters who have stayed at these resorts, the qaulity of these resorts. I know that most of you are going to say that they're both great, but I guess I want good critism. Back in 2000, we stayed at the lovely Grovsnor Resort and we dclared that if we ever came to Disney World again, never would we stay at the hotels of the Boulevard, no matter what our budget. the pillows were flat, the mattress made us sink, the bathroom sink had dried boogers, it was just disgusting. I'd never recommend it to anyone. That's what I mean by quality. I'm sure these two moderate resorts are nothing like that, God forbid, but I guess I want this kind of recommendations (or non-recommend).

Any information and/or advice would help, thanks.
    Disney has 4 resorts that they term "Moderate;" Caribbean Beach Resort, Coronado Springs Resort, Port Orleans Riverside, and Port Orleans French Quarter. They are IDENTICALLY PRICED because they have nearly identical amenities.

The rooms are 314 square feet (except CBR, which has 340 square foot rooms). Rooms are accessed through exterior corridors, and windows overlook these exterior corridors. General amenities include table-service restaurant (except for POFQ, which shares with POR), food court, bar, gift shop, main pool and several "quiet pools" (except for POFQ, which is physically too small to need any "quiet pools" sprinkled throughout the resort), pool slide, Jacuzzi, on-demand Bell Services ("Value" resorts have Luggage Assistance, which is done on a schedule), 2 double beds or one king-size bed (the latter costs extra), small bathroom, two sinks outside the bathroom, privacy curtain in the sink area (which creates a temporary dressing area, if you like), 20" or 25" TV (I'm guessing at the size), dorm-size refrigerator, iron and ironing board, recreational activities, and pizza delivery as the only room service (except for CSR, which has limited "other" room service).

Some other slight differences:
    CSR has a gym.

CSR's food court probably has the widest selection, but also has a mandatory 10% service charge.

Each CBR village has its own "beach." I put beach in quotes because you can't swim in the water, but kids can play in the sand, and there are hammocks and chairs to lounge in.

POR and POFQ have live entertainment most nights in their respective lounges.

POR and POFQ have boat service to Downtown Disney.

The major difference between the Moderates is THEME. Island beach. Southwest desert. Southern bayou charm. New Orleans charm.

The Deluxe resorts have, with some exceptions in some parts, interior corridors. Most but not all rooms have balconies. With the single exception of Animal Kingdom Lodge, all the Deluxe resorts have some transportation options beyond Disney Transport buses: 3 are on the monorail, some are walking distance to a park of DTD, and some have boat service. Contemporary resort has all 3. The Deluxe resorts generally have more dining options than the Moderates.

Everything I said so far is objective fact. I don't know that my opinions will matter much to you. From what you wrote, I get the strong sense that you and I have very different criteria, needs, and general outlooks.

For instance, based on one stay at one property, you said you will never stay at any hotel along that strip. Personally, I wouldn't avoid a hotel because I didn't like the beds and the housekeeping at a hotel down the road. But that's just me.

Also, I'm like cstephens (above) in that, for me while I'm on vacation, a hotel is a safe and clean place to sleep, and not much more. I can afford the rates at Disney's Deluxe resorts, but I don't choose to spend my money (two or three times the cost) on those accommodations when I go to WDW. I really don't care if the beds are full-size or queen-size, I really don't care that the corridors are exterior or interior, and since we don;t eat at our resort much we really don't strongly care about the dining choices.

I've stayed at CBR (twice), POFQ, and Wyndham Palace on Hotel Plaza Blvd. (that one for business). I truly love CBR and POFQ (nothing against the palace, but I prefer a themed resort versus a "business" resort). I've never experienced them to be dirty or to be poorly maintained. I'm going back to POFQ in November.

Good luck with your decision. I think you're doing the right thing soliciting opinions, because of your high standards.

I have stayed at the Caribbean Beach Resort, and I wasn't very impressed. Our room was so far away from the food court that it was a chore just to go and grab a snack. The bus stops are very sporadic and ours was so far away that we had to walk across a huge parking lot just to get there. I really don't think it was worth the extra money above a "value" resort. I think the CB Resort was just too big. I thought that Coronado Springs was better laid out. I had a better experience over all at that resort.

I have stayed within the concierge level at a few other resorts. While I have been pampered and spoiled there, I still have enjoyed staying at the "value" resorts. I think that the building layout is great and you still experience that Disney magic.
    - Larisa

Everybody neat and pretty? Then, on with the show! -MMC

I have stayed at the CBR 3 times and the Port Orleans... I personally like the CBR I dont mind if I am far from the food court I like the walk across the island and the bus stops are not that far from the rooms.

I thought I would mention the distance that I had to walk specifically because the member's father was having surgery. He may not be able to walk too much.
    - Larisa

Right-o nevermind

• Banned User

all the moderates except french quarter are very spread out. coronado springs also has a convention center attached so it's usually more crowded than the others. the only transportation choice is the busses unless you have a car to drive around and even then you deal with parking and not having your space when you get back. I like the theming of the monderates and the food court is ok for food. it is just a very long walk to get there unless you request a room near the pool or food court and i think those are a bit more in price.

• done

Quote Originally Posted by Risa View Post
    I have stayed at the Caribbean Beach Resort, and I wasn't very impressed. Our room was so far away from the food court that it was a chore just to go and grab a snack.
    Just curious - other than the bus stops, was that the only problem you had with CBR? Because that problem is easily fixed - just ask for a room close to Old Port Royale. We didn't specifically ask to be close to OPR, but we ended up in Jamaica, which was just across the island, so it was pretty convenient. You must have been in Trinidad South or thereabouts - we did notice there were rooms fairly far away from OPR.

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    Just curious - other than the bus stops, was that the only problem you had with CBR? Because that problem is easily fixed - just ask for a room close to Old Port Royale. We didn't specifically ask to be close to OPR, but we ended up in Jamaica, which was just across the island, so it was pretty convenient. You must have been in Trinidad South or thereabouts - we did notice there were rooms fairly far away from OPR.
    Yeah we were in Trinidad, I believe. I had only stayed on property a few times before that and have never seen the CBR. I wasn't sure where things were or what I should ask for. Had I known we were going to be in the Trinidad section, I would have asked for something closer, for sure.
    - Larisa