Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A little help in selecting a hotel.

Alright, so I'm going through the tough process of selecting a hotel on property. It's a group of 4 adults, with the larger portion of our time being spent at Epcot and Magic Kingdom. We're choosing between Port Orleans Riverside, Carribbean Beach, Coronado Springs, and Pop Century. We've stayed at Port orleans before, and enjoyed the experience. Anyone with experience care to help make this tough decision?
    Any advice is majorly appreciated.

Re: A little help in selecting a hotel.

I would recomend one of the mods, but would rule out the Port Orleans since you have been there before and I would prefer a new experience over one i have had before.
    With that in mind, I would decide between Coronado Springs and Caribbean Beach. Now, Caribbean Beach has bigger rooms, but only slightly (340 sq. ft compared to 314 sq. ft). It is also older than CSR, and bigger so you might have to do more walking. CSR looks nicer to me, though i have never stayed at either.
    Also, what time are you going (time of year not time of day)

Also, Welcome to Micechat

I like Coronado Springs. Great location to Downtown Disney...buses that run fairly quickly to both MK, Epcot and MGM.

• Disney: A Way of Life

since you've been to Port Orleans, try to spread out your other hotel experiences. Pop Century is OK, but it doesn't fit what you're looking for. It is quite far from Epcot and MK. Carribean Beach is quite a nice hotel, with perfect location right next to Epcot and being able to use the monorail from Epcot to the MK. Coronado Springs is also very nice, quite a different experience, but I forget where its located in relation to the parks. Personally, Carribean Beach is a favorite of mine, so this might be slightly biased.
    "Beware of hitchhiking ghosts"

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

The wilderness lodge is amazing. I stayed there last December and was blown away by this hotel experience. I too was looking for a moderate resort but found out that I could afford the wilderness lodge with just spending a few more dollars.

I hope you look into this resort.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

CBR is nice and RELAXING! The main pool is very nicely done. Close to Epcot and monorail. 1st vote.

Coronado Springs gets more of a business crowd, and seems to have a more uptight feel to me, the grounds are beautiful! You seem to walk at this resort more than most. 2nd place.

You just can't beat the boat rides to DTD from POR!
    Last but not least!!

Have fun no matter where you stay!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wdw or bust View Post
    since you've been to Port Orleans, try to spread out your other hotel experiences. Pop Century is OK, but it doesn't fit what you're looking for. It is quite far from Epcot and MK. Carribean Beach is quite a nice hotel, with perfect location right next to Epcot and being able to use the monorail from Epcot to the MK. Coronado Springs is also very nice, quite a different experience, but I forget where its located in relation to the parks. Personally, Carribean Beach is a favorite of mine, so this might be slightly biased.
    I love CBR, too, stayed there twice and loved it each time.

But I have to respectfully disagree with a couple of comments about its location. First of all, it's quite literally right next to Pop Century, about 2 minutes by road, so it's not like it's in a much better location than Pop Century.

As far as being close to Epcot and taking the monorail from Epcot to MK, I would only suggest that to someone who has lots of time on their hands and wants a leisurely ride and is NOT looking to efficiently get from one place to another.

From CBR, the most efficient way to get to MK is Disney Transport bus, as it goes directly to MK. To go via monorail, you still have to wait for a Disney Transport bus, this time to Epcot. Once at Epcot, you have to walk to the monorail station and wait for a train, then ride to TTC. Once at TTC, you have to get off the monorail, walk around to a different platform, and wait for another monorail to go to MK (or instead you could walk to the ferry and wait for that to take you to MK). The point is, it would take MUCH longer than the one bus ride because you'd have to wait 3 separate times: once for a bus, and then twice for a monorail (or once for a monorail and once for the ferry).

Also, the closeness of CBR to Epcot is a little more theoretical than practical. As far as bus rides, CBR is much closer to MGM than Epcot. True, CBR is across the street from Epcot. If you stood at Aruba building 56, you could walk across the grass to Cayman Way, cross the street, walk across a field, some marsh, and probably a minefield or 2, then scale a fence and a wall and you'd find yourself behind Italy and Germany in World Showcase. Unfortunately, we can't get there that way. We have to take a bus that goes all the way around to the front entrance, which is a deceptively far distance by road.

I know this is a long post, but I just wanted to illustrate the geography because I didn't want someone to think that staying at CBR is ALMOST like staying on the monorail.

• I'll Break your Thumbs!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ToadPOTCFan View Post
    Alright, so I'm going through the tough process of selecting a hotel on property. It's a group of 4 adults, with the larger portion of our time being spent at Epcot and Magic Kingdom. We're choosing between Port Orleans Riverside, Carribbean Beach, Coronado Springs, and Pop Century. We've stayed at Port orleans before, and enjoyed the experience. Anyone with experience care to help make this tough decision?
    Any advice is majorly appreciated.
    I like Carib. beach. Its a nice place, and the landscaping and setup is gorgeous... However now when I go to disney, since I spend so little time in the room, I just stay at the pop century resort. Its cheap, and it is nice. But if you do go with a mod resort, then go with carib beach.

• Disney: A Way of Life

Quote Originally Posted by CleveRocks View Post
    I love CBR, too, stayed there twice and loved it each time.

But I have to respectfully disagree with a couple of comments about its location. First of all, it's quite literally right next to Pop Century, about 2 minutes by road, so it's not like it's in a much better location than Pop Century.

As far as being close to Epcot and taking the monorail from Epcot to MK, I would only suggest that to someone who has lots of time on their hands and wants a leisurely ride and is NOT looking to efficiently get from one place to another.

From CBR, the most efficient way to get to MK is Disney Transport bus, as it goes directly to MK. To go via monorail, you still have to wait for a Disney Transport bus, this time to Epcot. Once at Epcot, you have to walk to the monorail station and wait for a train, then ride to TTC. Once at TTC, you have to get off the monorail, walk around to a different platform, and wait for another monorail to go to MK (or instead you could walk to the ferry and wait for that to take you to MK). The point is, it would take MUCH longer than the one bus ride because you'd have to wait 3 separate times: once for a bus, and then twice for a monorail (or once for a monorail and once for the ferry).

Also, the closeness of CBR to Epcot is a little more theoretical than practical. As far as bus rides, CBR is much closer to MGM than Epcot. True, CBR is across the street from Epcot. If you stood at Aruba building 56, you could walk across the grass to Cayman Way, cross the street, walk across a field, some marsh, and probably a minefield or 2, then scale a fence and a wall and you'd find yourself behind Italy and Germany in World Showcase. Unfortunately, we can't get there that way. We have to take a bus that goes all the way around to the front entrance, which is a deceptively far distance by road.

I know this is a long post, but I just wanted to illustrate the geography because I didn't want someone to think that staying at CBR is ALMOST like staying on the monorail.
    Oops, thanks for the catch. I accidently mixed up Carribean Beach and Beach Club. Apologies, as I always seem to interchange them.
    "Beware of hitchhiking ghosts"

• Banned User

Port Orleans Riverside is in the middle of both parks, plus their is a boat for DTD.
    Caribbean Beach is a large resort with great appeased with fun pools nice grounds and good food court Itís closer to Epcot.
    Coronado Springs I have never stayed but it's like CB as a large resort. The food court has a big variety of food with twice portion. Their is also a convention center their. This resort is need Blizzard Beach and the farthest to the two parks.
    Pop Century is a smaller resort. The rooms are good for a overnight trip and more school kids stay there for the price this resort is next to Caribbean Beach.
    I like the Port Orleans Riverside, and Caribbean Beach.

• World Traveler

My favorite is Port Orleans: Riverside. But that's just me.

• Monorail Racer

Within your parameters, I would recommend Coronado Springs. Very nice moderate resort and a bit newer than Caribbean Beach.
    Warning: Portions of this attraction are intense and may not be appropriate for younger children.

• Former CM

After staying at both CBR and CSR I would choose CSR. I liked the theming espically the temple. Also the food court there is pretty good and if you have the dining plan you can even use a counter service to get a steak.

• I was deleted.

Have you looked into French Quarter? It's connected with Port Orleans, but is a bit smaller.

And welcome to MiceChat!

• Vehicle rotating backward

Never stayed there myself, but from a purely geographical perspective I'll say Coronado.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast