Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Brasil. The Jungle Cruise re-visited. The Amazon river tribes and animals. And then it's off to Rio de Janiero and Ipanema for the beaches where one can party in Carnivale or feast on Churrascos. Was a Brazilian pavillon ever touched upon? There is plenty to fill the space with.

Portugal is another possibility. A lot of things with the fishing villages, the islands of the Açores OR Madeira.

Other Countries I would like to see:
    Jamaica - United Arab Emirates - Thailand - Argentina - or Cuba.

Quote Originally Posted by Labuda
    The thing I find funny is that using Mt. Fuji in a theme park would be disrespectful, yet having Fuji FILM is a-ok. ugh - I just don't get it.
    The reason Mt. Fuji didn't get built had nothing to do with being disrespectful. Or that great urban/Internet/CM rumor about it having to be sponsored by Fuji Film or Kodak being unhappy etc ...

Ultimately, it wasn't built due to a number of factors largely, its cost (naturally) as well as Disney focusing on adding thrills to Disney-MGM at about the same time.

Money is also why none of the other proposed additions to WS have ever gotten off the ground. Ultimately, Disney doesn't want to invest in its parks. And they haven't found a country willing to pay for the development, yet.

• Santa Barbara, CA

Add N Korea. It can have it's own "Were NUKEin' nations" fireworks show.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    The reason Mt. Fuji didn't get built had nothing to do with being disrespectful. Or that great urban/Internet/CM rumor about it having to be sponsored by Fuji Film or Kodak being unhappy etc ...

Money..... Ultimately, Disney doesn't want to invest in its parks. And they haven't found a country willing to pay for the development, yet.
    I suppose in the end, money is what drives this company.....Walt liked money too but he used it as a tool to build more and better things---I don't think that's what is happening now days.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    BTW, just for discussion purposes WDI has in the past designed pavilions for Costa Rica, Equitorial Africa, Iran (yes, this was in the late 70s before the Shah was deposed), Israel, Russia, Spain, Switzerland and Venezuela. I think there may be 1-2 others I'm leaving out, but those are the ones I know of off the top of my head.
    I remember seeing the billboards advertising Spain, Russia, and Israel. They all had beautiful recreations. Russia looked spectacular with it's Red Square. Spain looked like a fortress. Beautiful. Don't remember Israel, but I do remember the billboard.

It's unfortunate that another country won't sponsor a pavillion. One needs to be added where the outpost is. It's a horrible area right now with the Coca Cola Outpost and Indiana Jones type souvenirs.

I'm surprised that Germany or Italy doesn't have a cafe on the water like Mexico and U.K. It would bring more people over to that area. Maybe if a new country comes to the outpost area, one might be considered. It's so darn dark over there at night. Greece would be a great choice, but they are feeling the financial woes to actually sponsor.

How about that Switzerland pavillion with the Matterhorn Bobsleds. Now that would be fun.

I know that Eisner had said that Africa, while in the original plans and to be built later, ended up being expanded into Animal Kingdom. Maybe with him leaving, something might happen.

Although Australia, Venezuela, and India would be great additions(especially after experiencing a wonderful Wine Walkabout at the Food and Wine Festival), they also would have more influence and be better suited at the Animal Kingdom.

Come on Disney, Epcot is a year and a half away from being 25. Start spreading the financial love.

• The one, the only...

I think new countries would be great. Remember that one key element is food.

On the food issue, Spain is not interesting enough. Far more interesting countries with intriguing food would be GREECE, RUSSIA, and POLAND.

I am also interested in new rides in WS. I think that there could be a lot done, but Disney is not stepping in. Although they are requiring money from the sponsoring countries, remember that Disney gets the admission price for the park. More and better attractions means more park hopper tickets sold. That money does not go to the countries. I am sure about that.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Santa Barbara, CA

Since you can't have every country, then maybe it's a good idea to catagorize them by a unifyling theme. World Showcase of countries that have the bomb, or World Showcase of 10% unemployment, or that still like Americans, on a more positive note, WS of countries with cheap souvenirs and booze. We could rename the whole thing "Axis of fun"!
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    I think new countries would be great. Remember that one key element is food.
    Ireland...(Great area.. much different than UK.. cause exceptm for the north they are separate...)

(New Zealend?? (thats with Austrailia right??)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Newseditor44
    Something my husband and I commented on when we were their last, we thought that another African country should be represented as Morocco doesn't seem to wholly represent the continent. The World Showcase has always been the best part of my visits to WDW.
    Africa was originally meant to be a land all it's own within World Showcase, actually, it was supposed to be on the opposite side of the lagoon from where it is now. Imagineer Herbert Ryman made several study sketches of the proposed pavilion. However, somewhere between concept and completion the government of Morocco offered to help Disney build the pavilion.

The Africa of concept was to be more tribal and festive in nature, instead of strictly decorative and artistic. Also, the World Showcase that might have been consisted of two semi-circular malls, with pavilions occuping small wedge-shaped sections. Luckily, it didn't pan out, it had a poor location and didn't "reflect the architectual character of each country".

On a side note, with the lack of attractions, and with the comment on the size of Epcot on the whole, I think World Showcase would have been much better suited for it's own independence. A park like that is rumored to be appearing in Florida soon.
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

World Showcase is theme enough no more parks should be built in WDW for a long while

what they really should consider doing is building up the ride count in the World Showcase with some of these attractions and then add in a sepearte entrance for the World Showcase and sell it as two parks in one or something

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    World Showcase is theme enough no more parks should be built in WDW for a long while

what they really should consider doing is building up the ride count in the World Showcase with some of these attractions and then add in a sepearte entrance for the World Showcase and sell it as two parks in one or something
    Epcot does technically have 2 entrances...

Futureworld main entrance.. and the international Gate Resort/ Disney MGM park hop entrance....

• Meega, nala kwishta!!

Re: A World Showcase Never Built...

Godzilla at Disney? Wow that would be amusing to see. Oh if only it could have happened.

As for having Spain, I love Spain but I know most people would just think of it as an expansion of Mexico. Even if they had Bull fighting and Flamenco.

• The Useless Prince

Blog Entries

Well 2 days ago I was watching a Special on travel channel and it was originally planned for world showcase to be a separate park from the future world section of epcot...So originally the Spain, Russia, swisserland....and a ton of other countries were included....

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by Coastierox
    If memory serves, Godzilla belongs to Sony. So..... there's a flag on the play! 5 YARD PENALTY FOR MISINFORMATION. SECOND DOWN.
    No, no misinformation. Disney was looking to use Godzilla. Whether or not they had the rights to go through with it...it was a plan at one point.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I would love to see Russia, Israel, Brazil, Egypt, and India
    represented in EPCOT. They would all add distinctive
    flares not already represented.

As touched on previously, a couple of countries, Equatorial
    Africa and Australia were strong posibilities, BUT when
    Animal Kingdom was in the early imagineering stages, Animal
    Kingdom Claimed dibbs on an Equatorial African style Village,
    and also dibbs on a future "pavillion" for Australia because of
    their distinctive Animals. Hopefully, AK will see an Australian
    area added in the future! (and still hoping for the "land"
    that was to be inhabited by dragons, unicorns, and pegasus!)

Back in 2000 there was a millenium village constructed, unfortunately
    I wasn 't able to see it, but I was hoping that would have solidified
    some additional permanent countries, really surprised nothing has
    been talked about recently.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast