Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• xmanmom

What Would You Do?

I just found out that I have to go to a conference in Tampa in March. Flying across the country and being that close to Disneyworld and not going will just kill me. I know I won't be able to concentrate the whole time I am there unless I get at least a partial visit in. I was just there for my first visit last fall, but since then the new Nemo ride and show have opened up and I am dying to see them.

The darned conference starts on a Sunday, so I have to fly out on a Saturday to get there and I don't know yet if my boss will let me flex my week and take Thursday and Friday off (the conference ends on Wednesday). I don't have enough money to stay those two extra days anyways because I have an expensive wedding coming up. Plus, it is REALLY expensive since it is Peak Season. I checked and to stay at Pop Century for two nights, plus park hoppers would cost a minimum of $450 and that is before a rental car or anything.

The only thing I can think of doing is ditching the Sunday session and renting a car for one day. I would hate to do that, but the Sunday session isn't the official start of the conference, just a bonus they gave me for registering early. Technically my work isn't losing any money if I don't attend. I still think I would feel seriously guilty though.

The sessions the rest of the week don't get out until 6pm at the earliest and I wouldn't get to WDW until 7:30 and most of the parks close by 9 on those nights. Plus, the park I really want to get to, AK, will be closed every one of those evenings.

Of course, I will be traveling alone so it is kind of a bummer to think about going to the parks all by my lonesome, especially for more than one day.

So, what would you do?
    1. Suck it up, just deal and try to forget that you are an hour and a half away from Disneyworld.
    2. Ditch the optional Sunday session and go for one day.
    3. Scrape together some money somehow, beg the boss for flex days off and go Thursday and Friday after the conference.

• Banned User

Re: What Would You Do?

I would cancel the expensive wedding and stay thru Sunday.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by lisaboo View Post
    1. Suck it up, just deal and try to forget that you are an hour and a half away from Disneyworld.
    2. Ditch the optional Sunday session and go for one day.
    3. Scrape together some money somehow, beg the boss for flex days off and go Thursday and Friday after the conference.
    1. its only about an hour... lol

2. one day is better than no days

3. hmm... dont know...

up to you... we could arange a meet up of the Tampa micechatters with you and go to Busch Gardens instead

• Banned User

what are the dates of the conference? there are hotels offsite that could be running specials and have transport to disney property. depending on where you are staying in tampa, its' about hour and half drive to Mk. and depending on if you decide to go sunday or during the week, I am sure we can find someone to go with you or meet you there.

• Why can't you tune a fish

Its not the National Telecommunications Damage Prevention Council / Common Ground Alliance conference is it?

• World Traveler

The most expensive part of your trip would probably be the entry into the theme parks. Too bad WDW doesn't sell an after 6 pm ticket like TDL does. I'd also consider staying off site at a less expensive hotel to save some money.

• xmanmom

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I would cancel the expensive wedding and stay thru Sunday.
    Ha, ha...try explaining that to the fiance and both sides of the family and all of the vendors that already have non-refundable deposits. Not such a good idea, but thanks anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986 View Post
    1. its only about an hour... lol

2. one day is better than no days

3. hmm... dont know...

up to you... we could arange a meet up of the Tampa micechatters with you and go to Busch Gardens instead
    Heh, I google mapped it and it said 1 1/2 hours, so what do I know? Very true that one day is better than none, except that I would feel guilty about ditching that Sunday session.

What time is Busch Gardens open in the evenings? I might would do something like that on Saturday evening when I get in or Tuesday after my sessions. If I am going to ditch my Sunday sessions I am definitely going to WDW!

Quote Originally Posted by Cmash95 View Post
    what are the dates of the conference? there are hotels offsite that could be running specials and have transport to disney property. depending on where you are staying in tampa, its' about hour and half drive to Mk. and depending on if you decide to go sunday or during the week, I am sure we can find someone to go with you or meet you there.
    The conference is March 4th-7th. I fly in on the 3rd and out on the 7th. I don't know the times of my flights yet. I would greatly enjoy company, as long as people are okay with park hopping so I can get in the two things I really want to do (The Nemo attractions at AK and Epcot). Thanks for the offers, I will keep you updated when I find out more of the details and make my decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Its not the National Telecommunications Damage Prevention Council / Common Ground Alliance conference is it?
    Nope! But good guess though!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeland View Post
    The most expensive part of your trip would probably be the entry into the theme parks. Too bad WDW doesn't sell an after 6 pm ticket like TDL does. I'd also consider staying off site at a less expensive hotel to save some money.
    That would be awesome if they did. Does Busch Gardens do anything like that? I thought about staying off site and found a DD hotel for $67 a night on Hotwire. It is tempting, but I still have to beg my boss for those days off.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I appreciate it and hope to see some of you when I am in town!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Heh, I google mapped it and it said 1 1/2 hours, so what do I know?
    It's 1.5 hours for me but I'm across the bay in Clearwater.

Ditch the Sunday and go and get that itch scratched.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by lisaboo View Post
    Ha, ha...try explaining that to the fiance and both sides of the family and all of the vendors that already have non-refundable deposits. Not such a good idea, but thanks anyway!
    Then, if that is the case, you will have to bite the bullet and be a NO-SHOW at your wedding and stay thru Sunday. I mean... it's WDW, they'll understand...

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeland

The problem at WDW is that most of their parks close early (7 or 8pm) on a regular basis. TDL/TDS both close at 10pm daily and can afford to offer such guest-friendly deals regularly. Or else...take away those overrated "Extra Magic Hours" and return the park to ALL visiting guests to enjoy for longer hours of the day..

• Directly directed

Ditch the session. From my own experience with these kind of things, they're usually boring and I just end up drawing. Make the most of your time and go visit WDW

• xmanmom

Yeah, sadly I just found out that two other people from my office are also going to be in attendance, so ditching Sunday will probably not be an option. I also checked Busch Gardens' schedule and they close at 7:30 most nights, so it looks like I am out of luck unless I can convince my boss to let me have Thursday and Friday off and I can scrape the money together to stay. I meet with her tomorrow morning. Wish me luck!

• Directly directed

Fake a sickness.

• Disney Dreams

Go Go Go Go Go!!!!!!!!

• xmanmom

Yeah, I am just completely unlucky. I talked to my boss this morning and it was basically a no on getting Thursday and Friday off because she said it was really a privledge to get to go to the conference and she didn't want me gone from the office for a whole week. Bleh!

I am REALLY bummed out right now.

I guess the bright side is that I don't have to break the bank to go now. *sigh*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast