Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is up with...

Just back from WDW. It was our second time and we had a blast. I had a lot of kudos for CM's and I made several visits to Town Hall to fill out congrats cards. All in all, it was an awesome trip that we won't soon forget. But I couldn't help but wonder what the heck is up with several things. What is up with...

1. FLORIDA WATER? I have lived in third-world countries and the water in Orlando is the absolute worst water I've ever smelled/tasted/showered in. Why??? Have FL water officials just not tasted the water anywhere else? I find it amazing that a huge tourist city housing the most visited theme parks on the planet is still serving water that tastes like it was dipped straight from the Jungle Cruise. I learned quickly never to order a fountain drink at one of the parks. You're just blowing $2.69 on swamp water mixed with coke syrup. Somebody please explain why this water can't be filtered better.

2. The TTC? What exactly is the point of the TTC? In HydroGuy's intro to WDW he explains that it is supposed to be a hub and spoke style transportation center. But the place is a virtual ghost town. We just spent 8 days at WDW and never once saw anybody in one of the ticket lines. Do people even use it anymore? Is there a time of year where it does get used? My beef with MK is that it's too much of a trek to reach. Drive to the TTC, catch a tram, ride the monorail or ferry. I guess I just don't understand the point of the TTC. It seems to me to be a big MK parking lot that happens to be 2 miles from the park.

3. The lighting in Haunted Mansion?
    From the seance room on, the lighting is very, very dim. By the time you get out into the graveyard the ghosts are barely visible. Having recently visited DLR, I have fresh memories to compare the two. WDW's HM is bad, bad show. Is dim lighting a known problem, or has it always been that way?

4. AK's Tree of Life?
    Could the thing possibly look any more fake? At the center of arguably the most "real" park in WDW, why did they make that thing look straight out of Toon Town? The leaf color is nowhere close to that of the surrounding fauna. I think the tree is very tacky. Am I alone in this thinking?

• Huh?

Re: What is up with...

Quote Originally Posted by JungleBumCT View Post
    1. FLORIDA WATER? I have lived in third-world countries and the water in Orlando is the absolute worst water I've ever smelled/tasted/showered in. Why??? Have FL water officials just not tasted the water anywhere else? I find it amazing that a huge tourist city housing the most visited theme parks on the planet is still serving water that tastes like it was dipped straight from the Jungle Cruise. I learned quickly never to order a fountain drink at one of the parks. You're just blowing $2.69 on swamp water mixed with coke syrup. Somebody please explain why this water can't be filtered better.
    The water is a common complaint. Oddly, though, I've never really noticed it.

2. The TTC? What exactly is the point of the TTC? In HydroGuy's intro to WDW he explains that it is supposed to be a hub and spoke style transportation center. But the place is a virtual ghost town. We just spent 8 days at WDW and never once saw anybody in one of the ticket lines. Do people even use it anymore? Is there a time of year where it does get used? My beef with MK is that it's too much of a trek to reach. Drive to the TTC, catch a tram, ride the monorail or ferry. I guess I just don't understand the point of the TTC. It seems to me to be a big MK parking lot that happens to be 2 miles from the park.
    Well, that's not exactly always the plan. It's just that the plans for expanding the monorail system keep getting scrapped. Like, for example, when a new monorail system going to DAK was going to be announced on September 11 or 12, 2001. Well, guess what happened...

When it was built, there were a lot more plans. In fact, this is the original site where World Showcase was going to be.

I've always enjoyed getting on the monorail or ferry to get to the parks.

But, empty?! It's always crowded and packed when I'm there!
    3. The lighting in Haunted Mansion? From the seance room on, the lighting is very, very dim. By the time you get out into the graveyard the ghosts are barely visible. Having recently visited DLR, I have fresh memories to compare the two. WDW's HM is bad, bad show. Is dim lighting a known problem, or has it always been that way?
    I haven't seen it for a while, but WDW's is probably dimmer due to the lighting upgrade that DL's received when HMH started coming in every year.
    4. AK's Tree of Life? Could the thing possibly look any more fake? At the center of arguably the most "real" park in WDW, why did they make that thing look straight out of Toon Town? The leaf color is nowhere close to that of the surrounding fauna. I think the tree is very tacky. Am I alone in this thinking?
    Probably not alone, but I disagree. I love that tree. The way leaves change colors, I'm sure it's difficult to always have such a different shade from the rest of the area. Toontown, though? I don't see it.
    -Tim

• Jambo!

Just back from WDW. It was our second time and we had a blast. I had a lot of kudos for CM's and I made several visits to Town Hall to fill out congrats cards. All in all, it was an awesome trip that we won't soon forget. But I couldn't help but wonder what the heck is up with several things. What is up with...

3. The lighting in Haunted Mansion? From the seance room on, the lighting is very, very dim. By the time you get out into the graveyard the ghosts are barely visible. Having recently visited DLR, I have fresh memories to compare the two. WDW's HM is bad, bad show. Is dim lighting a known problem, or has it always been that way?

4. AK's Tree of Life? Could the thing possibly look any more fake? At the center of arguably the most "real" park in WDW, why did they make that thing look straight out of Toon Town? The leaf color is nowhere close to that of the surrounding fauna. I think the tree is very tacky. Am I alone in this thinking?

1. The water is quite a common problem in the Gulf states, but not in all of them, they seemsto have a lot of sulfur in it, which causes the smell and taste, but you get used to it.

3. Mansion needs help badly... the lights are far from the worst problem. A lot of WDW is in such disrepair and Mansion along with Space Mountain are some of the worst.

4. Personally, I like the tree. I think it's the best gigantic fake tree with carved animals on the trunk in the world. But the leaves aren't really the main attraction when it comes to the Tree of Life, but all the little details that make it into the icon that it is and it's far from belonging in ToonTown.
    Last edited by goofgeek; 02-02-2007 at 09:31 AM.

• Too far from Disney World

The Tree of Life was the one thing I REALLY liked about Animal Kingdom when I went!
    With great pride: Disney Store Cast Member August 2011-Present

D23 Charter Member - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

WDW Trips: June 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, 1997, 1996, 1994

• See you there!

... snip

A few years ago, the TTC was a hub for Disney Transportation. Back in the late 1990's to transfer to a bus going anywhere on Disney property, you could go to the TTC and catch a bus to almost anywhere else on Disney property.

Now, they are using Downtown Disney as a Disney Transportaion hub. You can catch a bus to many places (mostly resorts), except Theme parks at Downtown Disney.

Most of the buses going to Theme parks are available at the resorts, and some buses at theme parks to go to other theme parks.

The only reason(s) (these may not be Disney's reasons) I can think that they changed the Hub from the TTC to Downtown Disney is:

1. They had bus service to Downtown Disney (DtD) from all the resorts, it looked like a transportatin hub, and you can get to any resort from DtD. So why have two (2) transportation hubs?

2. If you go to DtD to do a transfer, maybe you will see DtD and go shopping.

Now (to me) it just looks like the TTC is misnamed, maybe Disney needs to rename the TTC to more closely match it's function?

Just MHO, YMMV

CU@DL

Andy
    -
    What is, is... What is not, is not.

Boom!

I don't ask for much... Just a few little things!

Extra effort yields extraordinary results!

Blog Entries

I guess living here my entire life I've never noticed any problem with the water. I live in the Northern part of the state away from the swamps but I don't notice any difference in our water and Orlando's water.

The TTC worked well when it was only Magic Kingdom and EPCOT Center as the main parks. Walt believed that the entrance to the park was a big a part of the experience as the park itself as it slowly revealed itself. The TTC did that two ways with the Magic Kingdom by allowing you to slowly arrive at the Kingdom by way of boat or to take a fantastical journey to it on a monorail. Each way slowly revealed the Magic Kingdom to you and began the buildup of excitement as the kingdom was slowly revealed first by seeing the train station, then entering through the tunnels where you get your first glimpse of mainstreet and then finally the big reveal with the castle at the end of the street.

For Epcot, it was similar. The monorail was a futuristic journey into the World of Tomorrow and one that allowed the park to be revealed to you in a fun and whimsical way. Unfortunately when the latter two parks were built it became too expensive to expand the monorail over to them. This was the point in the parks existence where cost became a bigger factor than the experience and so the TTC no longer works well aside from getting to the two original parks.

The HM has a ton of problems aside from just the lighting. It is said to undergo a major rehab this year to fix the problems and bring in a lot of new effects. The truth of the matter is, that can't get here quick enough as it is in horrible shape right now.

Gotta disagree with you on this. I thought the tree of life was amazing and probably one of my favorite sites next to Everest in the park.

• Jambo!

The TTC has 3 monorail lines, a watercraft landing, and buses to both resorts and parks, not to mention the home of the Magic Kingdom parking lot... so how does that now qualify it for the Transport Part of Transort and Ticket Center. It may not be the exact center, but it has almost as many buses running as just about any park and of course would have been expanded if more monorail lines had been added as planned.

Ok, so I'm in the minority about the Tree of Life. I agree, I like the point of the tree and the details in it. But as an outsider from Utah, when I walk into AK the first thing I notice is how absulutely fake the tree looks when compared to the jungle paradise of the rest of the park. To me it's almost as out of place in AK as the dino carnival thing is.

Don't get me wrong- I love the idea of the tree. I love the placement and the structure. I just think the leaves make it look like it should be in Toon Town. As much as y'all like it, you gotta admit it looks fake.

About the water, those of you who don't notice a difference, visit any other state in this country and take a sip from a drinking fountain. 'nough said. I was in New Orleans post Katrina and the water tasted fine. I drove the entire Gulf Coast- full of swamps- and the water was just fine clear down to Destin. So maybe it's not all of Florida. I guess one of the reasons nobody does anything about Orlando-area water is because everybody's used to it and nobody complains.

They should rename the TTC to the MK Parking lot. And yeah, it was completely empty. We passed it 8 or so times last week and never once did I see somebody buying a ticket. But my wife LOVED the TTC because it was the only place on property where you didn't have to wait in a line to use the companion bathroom (with 3 kids under age 5, those bathrooms are a godsend!).

I do love the idea of the MK being isolated. It really helps get you into the "Disney zone." I guess having little kids and a stroller complicates the trek a bit, making it less magical and more stressful.

• World Traveler

We live in South Florida and our water does not taste like Central Florida water. I believe it's the way they treat their water.

I happen to also like the Tree Of Life too. It's a special tree and there are leaves of every shade of green, so I don't see a problem. The tree is not supposed to blend in with the other trees. It's made to stand out.

• Huh?

To me it's almost as out of place in AK as the dino carnival thing is.
    If you're comparing it to the rest of the park, Chester & Hester's Din-o-Rama is out of place. But if you compare Pinocchio's Village Haus to the rest of the park, that seems rather out of place.

But, you're only to compare something like that to the land it's in. Which means, you're going to need to look at the existing themes. Within context of Dinoland, USA, it makes complete sense.

Not that I particularly enjoy Din-o-Rama. It's just that the theming is the one thing about it that I will defend.

They should rename the TTC to the MK Parking lot. And yeah, it was completely empty. We passed it 8 or so times last week and never once did I see somebody buying a ticket. But my wife LOVED the TTC because it was the only place on property where you didn't have to wait in a line to use the companion bathroom (with 3 kids under age 5, those bathrooms are a godsend!).
    I really think a lot of the desertion has something to do with time of year... probably not too busy at the moment.
    -Tim

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I've always thought the water smells like Pirates (the water in the ride, not an actual pirate... though I might be right on that too). I can't drink Florida tap water because it'll make me sick. I have a Brita pitcher that i fill with tap water and it filters out most of the crap. I use it to refill my water bottles for when I go out by the pool in the summer and to take on trips.

• I was deleted.

I drank it and I lived. But then again I don't drink as much water as I tend to drink milk, juice, or Mountain Dew. All the same I used it for cooking and I lived.

• Banned User

Lay off the Mountain Dew Piglet. Too much caffeine in that thing.

• Minion

I love the Tree of Life too. It's so beautiful and is my favorite icon at Walt Disney World.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

When I questioned the stinky tap water around the Disney World construction site, Orlando and Central Florida way back in 1969...I was told it had something to do with the gasses of decomposing swamp peat in the area, manifesting itself into the local water supply and distribution system. One old research paper on the subject that I still have from back then mentions "soluble methane monooxygenase"...whatever that is.

But that is what the water does taste like to me: Like its been tainted by methane gas. Some people refer to it as a "rotten egg" type smell.

I drink it all the time. Won't kill you. Perfectly potable. Just a bit disgusting in the smell department.
    Last edited by Opus1guy; 02-03-2007 at 01:44 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast