Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Is Disney-MGM Studios WDW's California Adventure?

DL person here. I've been doing a lot of research on the various Walt Disney World parks over the past few days and what they have to offer. It's almost embarassing really. It involves detailed ride synopsis', satellite imagery, and lots and lots of pictures.

One thing that interests me is Disney-MGM Studios. Based on everything I have read about it, it seems like a substandard park devoid of a lot of E-Tickets with a couple good good reasons to go there, Tower of Terror and Fantasmic!

Not surprisingly, that's the same way I feel about DCA. I have a few questions for you WDW vets.

Is MGM a park you can spend a full day at and still have fun?

As a regular WDW visitor, do you regularly skip MGM in favor of MK or Epcot?

As a regular MGM visitor, do you just go on Tower of Terror and then leave?

Is MGM the black sheep of Walt Disney World? It seems like not very many people became fans of MGM in Paris, so I'm wondering if it's the same in Florida.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: Is Disney-MGM Studios WDW's California Adventure?

I'm no regular to Walt Disney World, but the Disney-MGM Studios would be first on my list if I had to skip a park. Fantasmic! pales in comparison to the Disneyland version. I'm sure I could spend a full day there, but half a day will due just fine by me.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by SpokkerJones View Post
    Not surprisingly, that's the same way I feel about DCA. I have a few questions for you WDW vets.
    OoooH, I am so game for this one!!! Fire away!

Yes. But only when I have family or friends visiting without park-hop added to their passport.

No. They are equally "ok", but I do skip them three in favor of DAK ocasionally.

NO. If the wait time is minimal in the stand by line (13 mis or less) I may ride, but frankly, after seeing the TOT ride at TDS, I do not have the same interest in riding this old and tired version of it.

Is MGM the black sheep of Walt Disney World? It seems like not very many people became fans of MGM in Paris, so I'm wondering if it's the same in Florida.
    First up, there is no "MGM" park in Paris. It's the Walt Disney Studios Paris. Two different concepts of the same idea.. and the only reason why Paris' Studios didn't become popular is because is a park that was built so cheaply and so blandly in theme, it's simple a horrendous experience that is just now becoming a somewhat better experience. It makes WDW's MGM park look like Disneyland Studios!
    But you asked about being a black sheep... well, I have to give that honor to the MK. So outdated, so in need of major refurbishing...

Now a question for you... are you in marketing for WDW trying to get info for a new project or proposed silly marketing stunt like Million Dreams that go unfulfilled???

Blog Entries

I don't get to visit too often anymore, so this may skew my answer but my wife and I list MGM as one of our favorite parks. Funny enough we both love ToT but won't ride Rockin ROller Coaster. So that really only leaves us with one E ticket but we still really enjoy this park. Maybe its just the atmosphere, maybe it's that we can just take it really slow and just walk around taking in all the details without feeling we have to rush to the next attraction.

Aside from ToT I can't really list one thing I love about MGM, but for some reason the whole park is a fun experience for us as a couple. Now I think if we visited often it would not be as the shows would get old, but since we only make it about once a year at this point, the shows are still fun for us.

• Vehicle rotating backward

I walked around the studios and have often thought that. It's not quite true, however. Here's the difference: MGM was built at a time when Disney was on the top of it's game, DCA was built at a time when it's not. MGM isn't as state-fair looking as DCA, and while they both use similar concepts they're typically better executed at MGM.

Example: Both use a lot of one-sided fronts and, viewed from the rear, you can see the backside of these false fronts. But the fronts themselves are far more detailed at MGM. The San Francisco street at MGM has the cracks in the pavement that make it feel like a real used road and a few signs that appear to have been bought from the city as I've seen those signs in use in that city and the buildings have that worn look you'd expect to find in the real SF.

Meanwhile, DCA's SF portion, tiny as it is, features sparkling clean buildings on a piece of flat pavement and it feels just as unthemed as the rest of the park.

Also I'd say MGM has more E-tickets, which keeps it worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Now a question for you... are you in marketing for WDW trying to get info for a new project or proposed silly marketing stunt like Million Dreams that go unfulfilled???
    He isn't. He's a regular DLR forumer.

I personally love the Studios and have a great time everytime I go there! While they have been around for a long time, I still love all of the shows and rides. It's definitely a unique place, with a great atmosphere!

• Functional & Decorative

It's a definite half-day park for me... I generally ride RRC, TOT, maybe Great Movie Ride, and have lunch/dinner in one of the themed restaurants. Then I'm out.

Although let it be said that I'm a Native Californian, and live less than 5 minutes away from USH... which, compared to MGM, is generally superior in shows and tram tour.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

Overall, yes, I think that MGM is pretty comperable to DCA. But there is one must-see show at MGM, and that the Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show. Also MGM is the location for Fantasmic, which makes it worth going for an afternoon at least.

• World Traveler

I'm kind of getting tired of all the Californians bashing WDW. No, you can't compare the Studios to DCA. Each one has its own pros and cons. I personally like the Studios and it CAN be a full day park, if that's what you want. There are some very pretty parts of the Studios and I agree that some parts need to be updated.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by SpokkerJones View Post
    Yes. But I only spend a whole day anywhere now when I have visitors.

Nope. MGM is usually my "hangout" park. Its the easiest to get to, and has the best Streetmosphere.

Nope. RnRC, Star Tours, Muppets, and then some other filler depending on mood.

Is MGM the black sheep of Walt Disney World?
    Nope. It needs something new (as in ride) which it is getting, and could use some plumping out but not a black sheep at all.

• Circle of Ancients

MGM is about 10-times better than DCA. And I LOVE DCA.

Tower = Awesome (if you haven't ridden the TDS version I guess)

Great Movie Ride = Awesomely Awesomely Awesome. I know it's old and outdated, but we loved it.

RnRC = Awesome (I do give Screamin' the edge over this in the ride itself, but the themeing, etc is great)

Restaurants = Awesome. 50's Prime Time, Sci-Fi, Hollywood and Dine, etc. DCA doesn't even come close to anything here.

Shows = Awesome. We didn't see Fantasmic but loved Beauty and the Beast and the car stunt show.

Theming = Awesome. I mean seriously, you can't compare MGM and DCA in this area. The ONLY area in DCA that even comes close to anything MGM has is the Grizzly area. The entire park is awesome.

I thought MGM was the DCA of WDW until I actually went there.

• This space for rent

I don't consider MGM bad either, from time to time I like to catch Muppetvision, Walt Disney One Man's Dream, Mulch Sweat & Shears, and I never go there now with out catching Lights Motors Action my fav show on Disney property.

I'm like a previous poster, I don't go to any of the parks for a full day anymore, it was one of the main reasons I moved over from the east coast of FL so I could go whenever I want. I could see MGM easily being a full day park for new / or not too often visitors which is what WDW is more about, than locals.

• California Dreamin

Thumbs up Re: Is Disney-MGM Studios WDW's California Adventure?

MGM Studios is usually a half day park at best during my visits. I would deffinately skip it in favor of EPCOT or the Magic Kingdom. In a way it is comparable to DCA, but IMHO DCA is much better. There is no California Screamin, Maliboomer, or Sun Wheel at MGM studios, making it hardly worth my time. I have never actually been on the Tower of Terror, but I hear the Florida version is much better than the one in DCA. I can tell you, that Fantasmic at MGM studios really stinks, Disneyland has the far better version. I actually hesitate to say this, because I am partial to the SS Columbia.
    SS_Columbia192
    Last edited by SS_Columbia192; 02-08-2007 at 08:21 PM.
    I am the sailing instructarr. And on movie nights, I run the projectarr. Only PG. Nothing arr.
    - The Sea Captain

Absolutely no comparison. None. Nada. Zip.

Disney-MGM Studios is a full-on and properly designed "Disney" theme park. Well...minus "The Hat" it would be.

California Adventure doesn't deserve the "Disney's" moniker. It has some great Disney attractions in it...but a collection of Disney attractions does not a proper and great Disney theme park, make.

IMHO.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    No. They are equally "ok", but I do skip them three in favor of DAK ocasionally.
    I <3 TDLFAN.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast