Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

• Defying gravity

Re: Epcot Chief says No 25th Anniversary Celebration

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan View Post
    C'mon! Make some merch!!
    Really though...it's hard to believe Disney would want to pass up an opportunity to sell more stuff to us!

• Mouse Extra Dave

I don't understand why they could fold the 25th into YoaMD. I understand that they want to market these "celebrations" on a national level and that Epcot's 25th certainly won't drive attendance in California, but why couldn't we make some changes to Illuminations, add a parade or a new ride and simply call the whole deal the YoaMD's featuring Epcot's 25th? Seems like an easy way to get the Epcot name out in conjunction with a larger campaign. Ignoring it is just annoying...
    "You are not the first to pass this way..."
    Mouse Extra
    feeding the Disney addiction daily
    http://www.mouseextra.com/

• Solar Flare Foamer

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States

Dont think this was posted. But some of us are going to celebrate it, in spite of it all.

http://2719hyperion.blogspot.com/200...ore-dream.html

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by dbm20th View Post
    but why couldn't we make some changes to Illuminations, add a parade or a new ride and simply call the whole deal the YoaMD's featuring Epcot's 25th
    Illuminations is going to be changed to (at least what is now being called) SkyDance. And there are rumored parades to also eventually be added. In a way I guess I'm kind of glad there is no new Illuminations for the 25th (since I will be heartbroken when RoE leaves), but I know it eventually will be replaced and I want Disney/Dorsey to put as much time and effort into making SkyDance a show worthy of replacing RoE. Just my opinion though.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I agree with you Andy... but what they really need to do is STOP the nonsense celebrations that are Marketing-created...such as Happiest celebration on Earth, Million Dreams, 100 yrs of Magic, Family Gatherings and such.. Those are just marketing stunts disguised as celebrations. Resort opening anniversaries should be celebrated when time is due, and only for just under a year... that way when the next big milestone comes around, it will be something special again. That was always the way it was done until they started these idiotic celebrations with the Millenium one at EPCOT... since then...it's been constant celebration assault on every sense. Way too much crap, not enough substance.
    I didn't mind the millennium one, seemed appropriate since there was a (brief) optimistic view of the future in America around 1999.

As far as I can tell, Million Dreams is just a platform for WDW to announce a bunch of different rides opening around the resort all under one banner so that they wouldn't have to make individual ads for Nemo at Epcot, Monsters at MK, etc. As well as some rides that don't deserve their own ad budget like the refurbished El Rio de Caca. Although WDW isn't in the best of shape, a fair number of attractions have opened up in the past few years and are worth noting especially to folks who don't travel coast to coast.

There have been too many campaigns, though, and they do need to settle down. I don't mind "DisneyParks" myself (although boy do I hate to see it on merchandise!) because this year with my WDW vacation planner I got a DLR booklet in addition and the DVD was actually split 2:3 between DLR and WDW, which was pretty fair.

I would like to see DLR rise to national prominence again because the sooner they can get tourists in DLR the sooner they can take away these cheap APs and these off-period stunts like Rockin' The Parks to bring in people from those ZIP codes. "DisneyParks" piggybacks Disneyland onto the traditionally massive WDW marketing and awareness program, which is just fine IMO.

Just a sad, and typical, state of affairs at WDW.

To not honor EPCOT on its 25th anniversary was a concerted, conscious decision of folks from bottom-feeding execs like Brad Rex on up to the decision-makers Al Weiss and Jay Rasulo.

They didn't want to take anything away from their global (and by global I mean within the US parks) Year of a Million Free FastPasses, so they chose to ignore it. It also meant they could put off the new Illuminations show. Table the parade that has been on again, off again more than Thanksgiving leftovers and ignore crumbling facilities like WoL ... and mistake filled one (Imagination) rather than spend money.

Now, they will be making a major celebration next year around DAK's 10th anniversary with DAK After Dark as the main theme to go with Steven Davison's new nighttime spectacular (and a few smaller additions/changes). To me, it makes no sense. But in their strange corporate world, it makes perfect sense.

EPCOT Center the park built around celebrating the future and world diversity ... the ever-changing showcase ... simply not worth celebrating except with a few LE pin releases and, perhaps, a few collectibles.

Besides, how many Disney 'fans' even really care?

I see people complaining about too many anniversaries being celebrated and they are soooo missing the point. WDW has NOT celebrated any anniversary since their never-ending 25th that began in 10/96 and ran until 3/98!

What these folks are seeing are marketing events ... from 100 Years of Walt to Magical Gatherings ... to Happiest Celebration to now Year of a Million pissed off guests who don't stay in Cindy's Castle! ... None of them are celebrating any WDW milestones whatsoever. That hasn't been done in a decade ... and the last one, pink castle and all, was half-assed and half-baked.

Peace out, chatters.

• Banned User

I am probably the only one that is glad there is no major celebration for 25th. it's the WDW resort not individual parks. they didn't celebrate any major anniversaries for mgm or for that matter the other anniversaries for epcot. I am dissappointed that the 30th and the 35th were ignored but I do understand why. the 30th landed on walts 100 birthday and I liked that idea much better and unfortunately the 35 landed right after the golden celebration for disneyland. while I don't like the year of a million dreams, it can be very confusing as well as boring for people to keep hearing about how many years the usa parks have been around. Also the base of attendees for WDW has changed thanks to DVC and it gets boring to have a birthday celebration each year. and more and more decisions are going to be based on DVC attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmash95 View Post
    ...they didn't celebrate any major anniversaries for mgm or for that matter the other anniversaries for epcot.
    Totally incorrect. In fact in this very thread (Post #3) you can see evidence of EPCOT's 10th Anniversary Celebration...which was a major marketing event complete with Press Event, tons of "Tencennial" merchandise, and special entertainment. I was there!

Too bad this 2007 Annual Passholder Pin doesn't say "25th" on it, instead of "35th." That would have at least been something.

But there's always the possibility that if enough public attention is thrown on this subject...they'll be embarrassed enough to throw some sort of bone our way in the form of a couple Epcot 25th trinkets. Especially if they think they can make a few bucks off us "nutcases" that think these things are important.

• The Darkness to Light

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    But there's always the possibility that if enough public attention is thrown on this subject...they'll be embarrassed enough to throw some sort of bone our way in the form of a couple Epcot 25th trinkets. Especially if they think they can make a few bucks off us "nutcases" that think these things are important.
    If it didn't work when the entertainment news got wind of Vault Disney being cancelled from the Disney Channel in favor of showing Phill of the Future at midnight, I doubt that will. Public embarrassment doesn't work unless someone gets injured or dies at a Disney Park.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    Now, they will be making a major celebration next year around DAK's 10th anniversary with DAK After Dark as the main theme to go with Steven Davison's new nighttime spectacular (and a few smaller additions/changes). To me, it makes no sense. But in their strange corporate world, it makes perfect sense.
    Sorry, new to these boards, but are you sure about this? The "Disney Parks" branding is not intended to be temporary, and it would seem that any major campaigns are going to be national in nature. An AK 10th would do nothing for DLR. I would think we'd see something more generic, and any changes like an evening show in AK would be a part of that. Much like Soarin', LMA, etc were a part of the overall 50th campaign.

To me, its a given that we'll see a national campaign kickoff almost immediately following the end of YoaMD, I would just be surprised if it is park specific in anyway.

I do agree with what you are saying about marketing campaigns vs. anniversary celebrations. I mean, if Disneyland's 50th becomes "50 years of Disney parks", then its hard to figure how we'd see any kind of true anniversary celebration in the future.

• Banned User

from what i can see and have heard from rasulo's mouth himself, the year of a million dreams has had no effect on DLR. As a matter of fact their attendance is down from last year which should be expected by anyone other than team rasulo. and all the "disney parks" merchandise is dissappearing from the shelves at the parks and the tv ads i have seen have been very park specific. "disney parks" branding hasn't worked and I doubt it will in the future.

• The Darkness to Light

Quote Originally Posted by Cmash95 View Post
    from what i can see and have heard from rasulo's mouth himself, the year of a million dreams has had no effect on DLR. As a matter of fact their attendance is down from last year which should be expected by anyone other than team rasulo.
    Why is that? I mean, doesn't "team rasulo" know that after such a major and expensive celebration such as the 50th, the crowds are going to slow down until the next milestone worth celebrating?

Mindless marketing celebrations will be the death of Disney. The Millenium Celebration felt so unique, so real, that I was intrigued beyond belief. It felt then like it still does today, that the Millenium was so well thought out, meticulously practiced, and the progeny from that still resound today. RoE is still here, the theme from 2000 is still used at Epcot, and as a former front line cast member, I can vividly remember people, even five years later, still talking about it.

What really messes up these celebrations is the timing. The 50th was a good time to celebrate, and hence it was a good celebration. But placing so much attention on WDW during it killed any chance of a decent milestone celebration for WDW for at least five, if not ten years. Why, because people will become confused.

How can you tell someone that Disney parks are 50, just to turn around and tell them that MK is 35, or that Epcot is 25? Yes, we gurus and locals know the difference, but the 10 year old living in St. Louis, or the 13 year old in London doesn't know or doesn't care about the difference. If you continuously throw out dates, the public becomes confused and frustrated. So what do you do?

You break up the celebrations. Concentrate your marketing on telling folks why they should come to Florida. This year, Mr. Yeti, could have raked in the folks. Maybe Epcot's 25th could have brought them in. No you don't have to make it the central focus, just let people know the facts. I recall the '93 Vacation Planner video that showed the resort for what it was, "the Most Magical Place on Earth". It was wonderful. This film was even sold, not offered for free, and I'm willing to bet people bought it. Let people know what they can find at Disney that they can't find anywhere else, and then use the funds you have to make it that way. Instead of spending countless millions on marketing, spend a few, and make the parks something that is worth saving up to visit.

Maybe Epcot shouldn't have a special 25th, but folks should still know. If I were running the place (cliche), I would hold off on celebrations until 2011. I would go for the resort's 40th and make it the place to be, even make it a more treasured place to visit than (dare I say it) Disneyland. If Florida was smart, they should return Disneyland to the state of "that smaller park out in California". Not that I would ever think about it that way, but that's the smart marketing way to go about it.
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

• Monorail Racer

I completely agree. The way they spilled Disneyland's 50th into other places makes it tougher to focus on other anniversaries that may be taking place so close time-wise. The general public IS easily confused on such matters, that is for sure.
    Warning: Portions of this attraction are intense and may not be appropriate for younger children.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast