Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Epcot Chief says No 25th Anniversary Celebration

Came across this over at the Disney Blog...

http://www.thedisneyblog.com/tdb/

Brad Rex, Vice President of Epcot, was quoted in an interview with AllEarsNet.com's Editor Deb Wills as saying there will be no public observation of the first quarter century of one of America's unique treasures, Epcot.
    "Brad said that although 2007 marks Epcot's 25th anniversary, there was no big celebration planned, although there would be private observances behind-the-scenes for cast members."
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• time to go

Re: Epcot Chief says No 25th Anniversary Celebration

Already being discussed on this thread:

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52617

"Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

Just two weeks ago while at Epcot...I did my own little celebration, because I already knew Disney was passing on this important milestone in favor of the homogenized company-wide Year Of A Million Dreams promotion.

So, I brought my old Epcot 10th Anniversary "Tencennial" polo shirt from the huge 10th celebration back in 1992 with me from California...and wore it one day at Epcot.

As I walked around that day...I wished several Cast Members and Area Managers a "Happy 25th, Epcot." Most looked puzzled and I had to explain to them that had this been a normal administration...we would already be well into a full-blown Epcot 25th celebration.

Only 2 Cast Members all day noticed and mentioned the shirt on their own. One of them was very upset and vocal about Disney deciding not to have a major marketing celebration for Epcot's 25th. I agreed with him and wished him a happy 25th.

Stupid that Disney continues to marginalize their own individual products in this way...instead of hyping them as the gold they really are. These Parks deserve better.

• Shubisha

I think you'll find Disney is going to be foregoing just about all forms of anniversaries. They promoted the heck out of the 50th, and at WDW people even thought it was WDW's 50th for a time. They need a lull from the anniversary talk and I'm guessing WDW's 40th will be the next big one.

• Minion

ORWEN: So, us Cauldron girls can only assume this means there won't be any new parade for Epcot, either. We know how much they're always looking so hard to save themselves money--while mispending it on something else that usually doesn't benefit the guests.

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    I think you'll find Disney is going to be foregoing just about all forms of anniversaries. They promoted the heck out of the 50th, and at WDW people even thought it was WDW's 50th for a time. They need a lull from the anniversary talk and I'm guessing WDW's 40th will be the next big one.
    The 35th and 25th overlapped too much with the 18months of DL's 50th and the YEAR of a Million Dreams probably too. I still want my ears though. Any clue how to make Silver ears?

• golly gawrrsh

the least they could do is a special dessert or something at one of the restaurants

or even some stupid snack with EPCOT 25th on the wrapper.

bad planning and bad management.
    ºoº Sometimes Patrick, sometimes Karen.
    We'll let you decided who types what ºoº

• I was deleted.

C'mon! Make some merch!!

• May the F=ma be with you

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan View Post
    C'mon! Make some merch!!
    I am sure that merchandise will be released.

How about painting SSE Peptol Bismol Pink?

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by cooknthyme View Post
    the least they could do is a special dessert or something at one of the restaurants

or even some stupid snack with EPCOT 25th on the wrapper.

bad planning and bad management.
    Not at WDW. That is more Tokyo's style.. in regards to anniversary *and* special events.. see below an example of present special event marketing at the Tokyo parks....

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan View Post
    C'mon! Make some merch!!
    Sorry PigletF.. that's also more Tokyo's style... like the current special merchandise for Princess Days... take a look at a small sampling...
    http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/t...7/goods01.html

• Disney Memory Maker

I would have liked to see a big celebration, but I'll be more than happy with a few Epcot25 shirts and maybe some guest reminders like signs (the first will likely happen, but the second one not). And I'm just curious, what is that last time a WDW park celebrated a milestone with something more than just merchandise (and I'm not talking about MK because those are resort birthdays)?

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    As I walked around that day...I wished several Cast Members and Area Managers a "Happy 25th, Epcot." Most looked puzzled and I had to explain to them that had this been a normal administration...we would already be well into a full-blown Epcot 25th celebration.
    Well technically you should be wishing Epcot Happy 24th since it still has another 8 or so months until it hits the magical 25 mark.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TheDisneyInquisitor View Post
    And I'm just curious, what is that last time a WDW park celebrated a milestone with something more than just merchandise (and I'm not talking about MK because those are resort birthdays)?
    Epcot hung up 10th anniversary banners at the park back in 1992 after the 20th anniversary celebration. You were not born yet so you don't know that. Gee... I wish I could find photos of those banners..

Quote Originally Posted by TheDisneyInquisitor View Post
    Well technically you should be wishing Epcot Happy 24th since it still has another 8 or so months until it hits the magical 25 mark.
    Yes. Technically. But as I said...traditionally we would be well into the 25th celebration by now...as it was often the custom for Disney to begin official celebrations in a period of time leading up to the actual anniversary date. Just one example would be Disneyland's 50th celebration, which began long before and lead into the official anniversary date.

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    Yes. Technically. But as I said...traditionally we would be well into the 25th celebration by now...as it was often the custom for Disney to begin official celebrations in a period of time leading up to the actual anniversary date. Just one example would be Disneyland's 50th celebration, which began long before and lead into the official anniversary date.
    The HCoE celebration is the only one I could remember that started that much earlier than the actual birthday (and even for that, it was only 2 months earlier, not 8). Other celebrations like the 25th began in October, on the resort's actual birthday. As for other celebrations, YoaMD, 100YoM, Millennium Celebration, WDW25 & Magical Gatherings all started on October 1 of the respective year.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast