View Poll Results: You only get one option, now...

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tear down the wand!

74 63.25%
  • Tear down the hat!

43 36.75%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Disney Dreams

Re: Wand VS Hat: If you could only get rid of one...

I enjoy the hat ( DON'T KILL ME ) and I'm a teenager, so I probably don't understand this ordeal with the hat and the wand. I understand that MGM is about Hollywood and all, so I see why you guys despise it so much. For me, the wand would go, since it doesn't match with the Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow theme AT ALL. But for the third option, I'd say "Goodbye Leave a Legacy". I mean, if I'm gonna leave a legacy, I'd want it to be larger than my thumb.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by CUatDL View Post
    Remove "Leave a Legacy" at the entrance of Epcot.
    AMEN!!!!!

• Banned User

I voted for the wand, so that Spaceship Earth would no longer be defiled. However, that hat at Disney-MGM is just nasty, it's got to go too. Big time. I'll help. Give me a sledge hammer.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Wink Re: Wand VS Hat: If you could only get rid of one...

Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    I voted for the wand, so that Spaceship Earth would no longer be defiled. However, that hat at Disney-MGM is just nasty, it's got to go too. Big time. I'll help. Give me a sledge hammer.
    I'm visualizing the barnwrecking party Jim Hill talked about just before Disneyland opened.

• The Darkness to Light

Probably stated before by others, but the Wand needs to go now.

The hat, too, but if one of them has to stay, I wouldn't mind the hat. Just move it to a place that is more appropriate and has space for it... like near the Honey, I shrunk the kids play area. We can pretend it was a lost Mr. Potato Head part.

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    Hat, definitely. It completely destroys the theme of Hollywood Boulevard.

Then Cinderella Castle must completely destroy the theme of an early 20th century American Main Street.

Have a supercalifragilisticexpialidocious day!

• The Darkness to Light

Quote Originally Posted by TBAAFAN View Post
    Then Cinderella Castle must completely destroy the theme of an early 20th century American Main Street.
    The castle is part of Fantasyland and acts like the gate. It is no different than the gate to Adventureland or Tomorrowland.

Tell me where the Hat belongs thematically given its location.

• Lonestar Louisianian

While I am not too keen on the hat, it's the wand that irks me the most. Spaceship Earth is a highly recognizable landmark. Defacing this landmark with a cartoonish hand & wand is akin to putting mouse ears on the Statue of Liberty (uh oh, hope there are no Disney marketeers reading this...). That would be extremely out of place and reek of bad taste and that's exactly how I felt when I first saw that atrocious "nose-ring" on EPCOT's beloved icon.

The hat, for what it is worth, is indeed a nice structure. It is just out of place in the location that it currently resides. So I would prefer that it be merely relocated rather than gotten rid of.

• Solar Flare Foamer

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States

Quote Originally Posted by TBAAFAN View Post
    If the Castle sat squarely in the middle of Main Street, then yes. The Castle is the park's center piece with everything else branching from it. The hat, on the other hand, is an cheap afterthought, placed in the middle of the Hollywood Blvd theme, completely obscuring the one element of 1930s Hollywood that makes it recognizable as 1930s Hollywood. Not to mention, the Theater was once MGM's equivilant of World's Castle. The two are hardly a comparison.

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Jedi View Post
    If the Castle sat squarely in the middle of Main Street, then yes. The Castle is the park's center piece with everything else branching from it.
    The Hat is the park's center piece with everything else branching from it.

You can get to all 6 lands from the hat. Isn't it amazing once you remove all the opinionated parts?
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TheDisneyInquisitor View Post

You can get to all 6 lands from the hat. Isn't it amazing once you remove all the opinionated parts?

The hat must go. Hey! Let's put up a giant tacky sorcerers hat in the hub of Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom! Why, you can get to all lands from it at the center!

• Minion

Yes, but the hat doesn't even fit in with the theme of any of the 6 lands. At least Cinderella Castle acted as part of Fantasyland.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

I didn't mind the wand at first when it was just a symbol of the millenium, but now it's time has come. But, i feel more strongly about the Hat coming down. It's incredibly misplaced. I think it's a nice structure but just needs to be moved elsewhere. It gives that section of MGM a cluttered feel.

Main Street, U.S.A. leading to a storybook castle is the grand metaphor of The Magic Kingdom.

Try finding any deep meaning to that damn hat.

• Solar Flare Foamer

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States

Visit the park again and try and draw those straight lines. The maps are nowhere near to scale, they've always been simplified orientation, and anyone who's tried using them knows better then to take them completely literal.

Even on a more realistic site map, certain elements are not quite apparent. The landscaping, for example, creates additional zigzagging once your there. There's no direct shot to Sunset Blvd as you show with your blue marker. Nor does your pink marker lead anywhere but to a lake you have to walk around to get to something else. I realize its been a year since I visited, but I'm not sure where your going with your orange line, other then through a wall.

As I said, the hat was an afterthought. Not a centerpiece that heightened the appeal of the park one iota. Nor was the park constructed around it as a theme. It's merely another place to stick a marketing kiosk. The theater was essentially MGM's Castle, although not exactly the gateway the Castle is thanks to the park's layout. It's not an opinion that a giant Micky Hat has nothing to do with 1930s Hollywood. It's not an opinion that it was an afterthought added to the park years later. It's not an opinion that it obscures a significant element of the 1930s thematic that was originally intended to be the park's "weenie". An it's not an opinion that it isn't a central theme to anything in particular. For those factual reasons, are the reasons most people don't like it and think it needs to go.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast