View Poll Results: You only get one option, now...

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tear down the wand!

74 63.25%
  • Tear down the hat!

43 36.75%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Disney Memory Maker

Re: Wand VS Hat: If you could only get rid of one...

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    Yes, but the hat doesn't even fit in with the theme of any of the 6 lands. At least Cinderella Castle acted as part of Fantasyland.
    Hmmm.... a big Sorcerer Mickey Hat... I'm sure that doesn't fit in with Animation Courtyard......

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Jedi View Post
    Visit the park again and try and draw those straight lines. The maps are nowhere near to scale, they've always been simplified orientation, and anyone who's tried using them knows better then to take them completely literal.
    Point is, you can get to every land in DMGM pretty much directly from the hat. Is there zigzagging, yes, but nothing more than the obstructions in MK. In fact, in the MK there are two lands you cannot directly get to at all in the hub.

Nor does your pink marker lead anywhere but to a lake you have to walk around to get to something else. I realize its been a year since I visited, but I'm not sure where your going with your orange line, other then through a wall.
    Pink line is going straight to Echo Lake. I don't care that you have to walk around to get to IJ, that whole area is Echo Lake (just like you have to go through a long part of Adventureland to get to any attractions). The Orange line goes to Mickey Ave. (and yes, there is a direct entrance, not just a wall).

It's not an opinion that it was an afterthought added to the park years later.
    So was Expedition Everest, does that say anything about it? Everything that opened after opening day can be considered an afterthought.

Does this map not prove that you can get to all lands via the hat area?
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Wand VS Hat: If you could only get rid of one...

The hat is pretty bad, but the Chinese Theater in Florida is only a copy of the real one. The Spaceship Earth structure, as far as I know, is the only geosphere in the world. Theres other domes and almost completely globe shaped buildings but SE is the only true geosphere. Get rid of the wand and stars and the graveyard out front while you're at it. Then move the Sorceror's hat to the Fantasmic Theater or out by the front gates.

• Solar Flare Foamer

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States

Quote Originally Posted by TheDisneyInquisitor View Post
    Hmmm.... a big Sorcerer Mickey Hat... I'm sure that doesn't fit in with Animation Courtyard......
    It most certainly would, if animation courtyard was the dominating theme. It's almost as if the 1930s thematic that leads from the theater to the front gate and dominates the animation courtyard, is invisible to you?

Point is, you can get to every land in DMGM pretty much directly from the hat. Is there zigzagging, yes, but nothing more than the obstructions in MK. In fact, in the MK there are two lands you cannot directly get to at all in the hub.
    My original point, the one you initially responded to, was that the Castle has straight, unobscured routes and that it was originally designed that way. The hat was added to the center of the park, a park with no straightways to begin with, and not built around it. Your straight lines are remarkably more forced then any you could draw from the Castle outward. The hat purports to be what the castle is. It isn't and the design of the park wont allow it to be.

Pink line is going straight to Echo Lake. I don't care that you have to walk around to get to IJ, that whole area is Echo Lake (just like you have to go through a long part of Adventureland to get to any attractions). The Orange line goes to Mickey Ave. (and yes, there is a direct entrance, not just a wall).
    Yes, you walk through Adventureland. You don't shimmy around it. Nevertheless, that was not the original point. The point was the factual information I noted before.

So was Expedition Everest, does that say anything about it? Everything that opened after opening day can be considered an afterthought.
    Hardly the same thing. This is not a new ride. Your focusing on one fact (an afterthought addition) and ignoring everything else. You must take the sum of the facts as the motivation behind people's dislike of the hat. For that matter you could disassemble every reason and match them to something Disney's done well. But it's a summary complaint. It does several things and it does them all wrong.

Does this map not prove that you can get to all lands via the hat area?
    In fact, it doesn't. There are a great deal of obstacles that deny it a proper comparison to World's Castle. As I said before, Word and Land are a castle with a park built around it. MGM is a park with a pseudo-castle added in later. Had the hat been a part of the original design, you can bet they would not have put the theater right behind it. Perhaps it's matter of opinion whether a zigzag is the same thing as a straight line (not sure how it could be, but I digress), the main points I already made. We don't like the location, the aberrant theme, the theme it obscures and the added fact that it wasn't necessary. Two many minuses to make it a "plus".

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    The hat is pretty bad, but the Chinese Theater in Florida is only a copy of the real one.
    Ummmmmm.....yeahhhhhhh...umm..were you expecting they would move the real one to Florida?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

No but I live in LA and we have star studded movie premieres there almost every other night of the week. So the one in Florida with just the Disney channel people's footprints and no real theater inside, is just a faux reproduction, it's not really like Cinderella's Castle or SpaceShip Earth. Those are real Disney icons, this was always just a copy of something else. Something that's way cooler in California.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

This is from another thread about the Scorcerer Mickey's hat. I believe it applies here as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Main Street, USA (especially the Magic Kingdom and Disneyland Paris versions) is much more ornate than its real life inspiration. Main Streets only began to look as colorful and clean as they do (the revive Main Street projects) after Disneyland's Main Street, USA. It is not unusual for a real Main Street to end with a court house, city hall or other important building. The world we "know" ends in the fantasy we are entering.

The world's first geodesic sphere sits amongst Future World. Its name, Spaceship Earth, also evokes the hamony of the world presented in World Showcase. It is both unfamiliar (in its actual architecture) and familiar (in its shape).

The Tree of Life stands in the middle of a park about the world of nature. Trees can grow to amazing sizes and live extremely long lives. A tree makes a fitting symbol for the power of mother nature.

The Scorcerer's hat is an iconic symbol of Mickey Mouse. I wouldn't be surprised for more people to associate Scorcerer Mickey with Fantasmic! than Fantasia or The Scorcerer's Apprentice. A large hat such as that is also not culturally iconic of the golden Hollywood that never was. It offsets the realism and detail established by its surroundings. It is actually because of placing items in front of the designed focal point that the Partners statues were erected at most of the Magic Kingdoms.

• Banned User

No but I live in LA and we have star studded movie premieres there almost every other night of the week. So the one in Florida with just the Disney channel people's footprints and no real theater inside, is just a faux reproduction, it's not really like Cinderella's Castle or SpaceShip Earth. Those are real Disney icons, this was always just a copy of something else. Something that's way cooler in California.
    Uh yeah, I know all about Grauman's, and then Mann's, and then Mann's Grauman's Chinese theatre (LOL). I used to live in L.A. I lived there when I was a small child, moved back to where I was born, and then lived there again for many years before moving to NYC. I graduated from USC (School of Cinema-Television, now renamed School of Cinematic Arts) .

• Vehicle rotating backward

Hat VS Theater is irrelevant since the GMR just isn't long for the world, and I have no idea whether the theater will or won't be going with it. But goodness knows the hat would obstruct the demolition going on pretty well, right?

• DL Fanatic

Sequoia National Park, CA (trying to get to Orange County)

The wand needs to go away. It has nothing to do with any of the themes of EPCOT. When it went up in 2K, it was thought to be a nice (temporary) touch. Well, it is now 7 years past, get rid of it and allow SSE to stand on it's own.
    Best interview answer: My biggest weakness is my honesty...I can never remember my lies!

•   
    • Minion

(Cellarhound pokes his head in to the thread.)

Wand's gotta go! No question about it... It is a blighty eye sore... A solution to an imaginary problem...
    Check out my other blog:

• We're number one!

Well you know they have real castles in France. Maybe they should erect a giant hat in front of the castle in DLP?

My vote goes for the wand though. I've hated it ever since the attached that thing to SSE. Bring it down and let Epcot be.
    Last edited by SpookyBear; 02-07-2007 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    Ummmmmm.....yeahhhhhhh...umm..were you expecting they would move the real one to Florida?

They moved the London Bridge to Lake Havasu. (LOL) I just voted for the wand to go but as much as I like the hat I don’t like where it is so it was a tough decision. The wand should have only stayed for the Millennium.
    DL 1975-2014
    WDW 1984-2014

He kuikawa ka 'ikena o kela wahi ho'oku ka'a e waiho kala'e ihola ma 'o!

http://www.tikimanpages.com/poly/

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

They're both horrible but the wand asbso-friggin-lutely needs to go if I had to choose one. Epcot is a park about class and world cultures.... what does a sorceror mickey hand have to do with ANYTHING.

UUUGGGHHHH it's so ugly and tacky. I was reading that imagineering field guide to epcot and that wand is in all the photos of spaceship earth. yet... nowhere in the book do they tell you the secrets of THAT structure.

It's like putting a wand on sleeping beauty castle at disneyland. there's no point.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Former CM

I hate both, but I chose the hat due to it entirly covering up GMR.

The wand is the greater of two evils.

I actually wouldn't mind the hat in a different location, like in front of Fantasmic or in the Animation courtyard (which doesn't have animation anymore), though it might need to be smaller in those locations.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast