View Poll Results: You only get one option, now...

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tear down the wand!

74 63.25%
  • Tear down the hat!

43 36.75%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Wand VS Hat: If you could only get rid of one...

I like the hat, just wish there were something different under it. Like a pair of Disney animators; one with a computer and one with a pencil and paper. Or something along those lines anyway, just not a retail store!

The wand doesn't really fit with the theme of Epcot and would be best served somewhere other than where it is. Like as the arm part of a crane maybe?

Hey, maybe they can make us all happy and use the wand as a crane to move the hat somewhere else.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    No but I live in LA and we have star studded movie premieres there almost every other night of the week. So the one in Florida with just the Disney channel people's footprints and no real theater inside, is just a faux reproduction, it's not really like Cinderella's Castle or SpaceShip Earth. Those are real Disney icons, this was always just a copy of something else. Something that's way cooler in California.
    Wow. Someone who thinks the same way I do. The centerpiece of every Disney park is based on Fantasy -- or some surreal representation of it. The castles are not exact replicas but only hilight various castle-like features to portray the Disney-version of Fantasy. The Chinese Theatre, while an impressive structure is really just a replica of an actual movie theatre in Hollywood -- nothing more, nothing less.

• Beach Expert

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Wow. Someone who thinks the same way I do. The centerpiece of every Disney park is based on Fantasy -- or some surreal representation of it. The castles are not exact replicas but only hilight various castle-like features to portray the Disney-version of Fantasy. The Chinese Theatre, while an impressive structure is really just a replica of an actual movie theatre in Hollywood -- nothing more, nothing less.
    I want to add to this. I think it would have been much more impressive if instead of a replica of an existing theatre, if Disney would have put a theatre but something totally different. Maybe pick up some styles from the Chinese, the Egyptian, and the El Capitan and making their own movie theatre, much in the same way they did with all of the MK castles.

• former CM

I HATE the wand and giant EPCOT sign that goes with it.

It's as dumb as having a "Magic Kingdom" sign above and next to the already recognizable castle.

I might like the wand if it were moved to the entrance to EPCOT's parking lot, or even in the middle of it, but it just doesn't go with that majestic globe.

• Starwisher

The wand must DIE! Not only that, on our way out of Epcot last week, they were projecting a Siemens ad on the ball. TACKY! I almost screamed. My husband had to physically restrain me from grabbing the nearest CM and making a very pointed comment.
    Don't make me come in there!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Cool Re: Wand VS Hat: If you could only get rid of one...

I want to add to this. I think it would have been much more impressive if instead of a replica of an existing theatre, if Disney would have put a theatre but something totally different. Maybe pick up some styles from the Chinese, the Egyptian, and the El Capitan and making their own movie theatre, much in the same way they did with all of the MK castles.
    NICE IDEA. I also hate how the entrance to DCA's Hwood Pictures Backlot is reminicent of the Hollywood and Highland forecourt. They both debuted around the same time, but the DCA elephants are kinda sad compared to the giant ones at H/H.

• Banned User

Many of the elements from Disneyland's Castle are taken verbatim from Neuschwanstein Castle in Germany, upon which the DL castle was based. Have a look. In fact, it's almost just a small duplicate.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._LOC_print.jpg

Hey, does look really, really, really familiar?

Smaller version for slow connections:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:N..._LOC_print.jpg
    Last edited by NickCharles; 02-08-2007 at 11:03 AM.

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    Many of the elements from Disneyland's Castle are taken verbatim from Neuschwanstein Castle in Germany, upon which the DL castle was based. Have a look. In fact, it's almost just a small duplicate.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._LOC_print.jpg

Hey, does look really, really, really familiar?
    Except for the fact that they are both castles (and DL's has some influences from it like the roofs/turrets) SBC is definitely not a small duplicate of it and definitely not verbatim. They share similarities, but at least to me look very much different. Not like this is off topic or anything though.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TheDisneyInquisitor View Post
    Except for the fact that they are both castles (and DL's has some influences from it like the roofs/turrets) SBC is definitely not a small duplicate of it and definitely not verbatim. They share similarities, but at least to me look very much different. Not like this is off topic or anything though.
    Features not verbatim? Look again.

• Beach Expert

Quote Originally Posted by TheDisneyInquisitor View Post
    Just what I was going to say! The Chinese Theatre in MGM is from what I understand an exact duplicate of the Chinese Theatre in Hollywood. What I am saying is that what Disney should have done to this theatre is pattern it after the great movie houses of Hollywood. In MGM it is an exact copy, which is odd because Disney's castles are inspired by Neuschwanstein, but not exact copies. Why don't apply this same idea the Chinese Theatre facade in MGM?

• Beach Expert

Features not verbatim? Look again.
    Very very simiilar but the castle is not an exact carbon copy.

• Banned User

Very very simiilar but the castle is not an exact carbon copy.
    It may not be a carbon copy but certain features and pieces of it are.

The Chinese Theatre in MGM is from what I understand an exact duplicate of the Chinese Theatre in Hollywood.
    It's not.

• Coming soon...

I think aethetically with this.
    I'd tear the hat down because:
    1. You CAN still see most of SSE even with the wand.
    2. SSE doesn't look that good anyway.
    3. The hat blocks the theatre, which makes the whole Hollywood Boulevard actually look right and proper.

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    As for the wand... it's only a matter of time before it succumbs to it's own weight and comes down crashing on 100 unsuspecting guests below it.
    Hahah and that incident would please you most of all. Always a fount of optimism, our TDLFAN.

I think the wand should go first tho. It is just so aesthetically UGLY. And it screws up the grand scale of the golf ball.

The wand should take the War Memorial out front with it!!!!!
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Disney Memory Maker

sorry to stay OT but...
    It may not be a carbon copy but certain features and pieces of it are.
    Thus the term 'inspiration.' Carbon Copy ≠ Inspiration. Here's another pic of Neuschwanstein Castle. Still think they look exactly alike? How about this, this or this?

It's not.
    Besides for some obvious added furnishings (like the "Great Movie Ride" and "Sponsored by Coca-Cola" signs), the facade of The Chinese Theater is a replica of of the Mann's/Grauman's Chinese Theater in California. I do not believe there are any design changes.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast