• Mouse Extra Dave

Re: The Jungle Cruise from Hell

That was a great read. What a story...
    "You are not the first to pass this way..."
    Mouse Extra
    feeding the Disney addiction daily
    http://www.mouseextra.com/

. They have been on it a million times and have heard all the regular jokes 100's of times -- even some of the improvised "unofficial" ones. (This happens more at Disneyland though, where the park is visited more by locals).

um. HELLO? This is MK here. "They" have NEVER been on it, dont know what to expect, and after 1year, im convinced they dont know what there waiting in line for. They think theyre just going on some boat to see animals. Boy are they wrong! However, when i went to the 50th, there was at LEAST giggling by guests on thier boats and laughing. Its the guest diffrence.

I don't believe that any employee has the right to act rude to a guest, no matter WHAT the circumstances.

Then you REALLY shouldnt see me as Butler when we are crowded there.

• The Darkness to Light

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    . They have been on it a million times and have heard all the regular jokes 100's of times -- even some of the improvised "unofficial" ones. (This happens more at Disneyland though, where the park is visited more by locals).

um. HELLO? This is MK here. "They" have NEVER been on it, dont know what to expect, and after 1year, im convinced they dont know what there waiting in line for. They think theyre just going on some boat to see animals. Boy are they wrong! However, when i went to the 50th, there was at LEAST giggling by guests on thier boats and laughing. Its the guest diffrence.
    Maybe they can work that into the opening spiel when they are saying to "keep your hands, arms, legs, heads, and generally any part of your body your are attached to inside the boat at all times." Prefferably as you are leaving the dock, you could say "Now, if you were thinking you would see REAL animals on the tour, feel free to swim back to shore now."

• ISTC Instructor

Sounds like the skipper was having a bad day, but I think everyone is getting on him to easily here. Sure he shouldn't have been rude, but a lot of it sounded sarcastic to me. Of course I wasn't there and what one person reads and what another experiences is completely different.
    Always follow your dreams...

• Fastest Man Alive

Quote Originally Posted by DocPaddock View Post
    Sounds like the skipper was having a bad day, but I think everyone is getting on him to easily here. Sure he shouldn't have been rude, but a lot of it sounded sarcastic to me. Of course I wasn't there and what one person reads and what another experiences is completely different.
    I disagree. Swearing like mad, angrily shouting at guests, and firing indiscriminatly into the air to get people's attention? That's more than a bad day. Even if half of what the OPer said was accurate, 'Joe' should at the very least been taken aside for 'coaching' and be suspended.

• The Mystery Mouseketool

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    i can understand "Joes" plight. you see being a skipper is NOT as great as it once was. The guests just plain SUCK. The guest dynamic had changed so much in the past 10 years that cruises are no longer fun. They either dont get it, arent into it, or sleep. ESPECIALLY after 330, when everyones blood sugar drops to unprcendednted levels and we end up driving boats for zombies. After 330 no matter WHAT you do its IMPOSSIBLE to get a raction from a boat. So i can understand. If we see a boat that is OBVIOSULY full of dead weight and dosent want to be there, then we WILL make fun of you, insult, and do the most annyoing cruise ever.
    I was only a Skipper for a year, but even when I had completely dead boats, I would never blame the guests for not laughing. Imagine a comedian or singer onstage berating the audience for not reacting. Sure, it happens, but how do they come off? Pathetic, usually.
    That's the time you either try harder, go into "auto-spiel," or do what I'd do: just amuse yourself with the worst-of-the-worst jokes you can think of...
    But the big problem with Joe were the big safety violations you reported. Gunning the engine with a guest still stepping off? Firing a dozen shots in the air at the dock? I don't know how they run things in Orlando, but in Anaheim that would've been Joe's last tour (probably was).

- Johnny
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." - BB

• Monorail Racer

I never did JC during my WDW time, but I did do Jaws at Universal. You just can't take the lack of response personally. Reacting to it and focusing on it just makes it worse. Best thing is to just go through the motions, finish the ride and hope for better later. If the whole afternoon is like that, it can be tough, but I never let such things bother me that much.

Just a bizarre story, but during my time there I encountered a few off-the-wall moments. Work with the public long enough and inevitably some will blow a gasket and lose it.
    Warning: Portions of this attraction are intense and may not be appropriate for younger children.

• Bad Puns Served Here

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyQuest View Post
    I was only a Skipper for a year, but even when I had completely dead boats, I would never blame the guests for not laughing. Imagine a comedian or singer onstage berating the audience for not reacting. Sure, it happens, but how do they come off? Pathetic, usually.
    That's the time you either try harder, go into "auto-spiel," or do what I'd do: just amuse yourself with the worst-of-the-worst jokes you can think of...
    I agree. I'm seasonal, but I have so much fun that I keep coming back for more. My crews? As a general rule, my crews are GREAT. They laugh, they moan, they ignore (you can't win them all!), but if I'm having a great time- they are too.

The "sarcastic/rude"-ness has gone on for a few years, but I think management has most recently recognized it as going to far in very recent times, so I'm hoping it will be gone before I return. Sarcastic can be funny, but only if done properly and in very small doses. Some of these skips never learn that balance.

• Stitch <3

Turn right, go straight, take a left. Keep going. Keep going. Duck! Turn around, right. Found me! :)

Oh my goodness! I dont believe it!

• California Dreamin

Exclamation Re: The Jungle Cruise from Hell

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse princess View Post
    cool.
    LOL LOL LOL... Well, thats interesting. Did you work up the courage to report him. Not like it was probably needed though, if other Cast Members witnessed his actions at the dock. I wouldn't have any sympathy if he were to be fired. He does not, by your description, have any qualities of a Disney World CM.
    I am the sailing instructarr. And on movie nights, I run the projectarr. Only PG. Nothing arr.
    - The Sea Captain

• Fish Food

I realize I am resurrecting a very old thread, but RL kicked me in the butt this past month and I never got a chance to follow up, so I'm doing it now.

I very much appreciate each and every reply. I want to clarify a few things about the story.

First, it is absolutely true, and if anything, it is under-exaggerated. I take pride in accuracy and I tend to under-play situations. "Joe" said a lot that I never heard because of the speaker configuration, so much of what went on I missed completely. I tried to listen as hard as I could and took pictures nonchalantly (nervously), but much of it sounded like the teacher on Peanuts. Even so, I could tell by the tone that things weren't going well.

When he sped off as I was disembarking - I don't believe he intended to endanger me. I never felt personal animosity from him, it seemed more like I was a sounding board for his frustrations. His anger seemed directed toward the boat in general and the rare moments when he spoke to me it felt like I was his cohort - sort of his Ed McMahon. I think he was so out of his mind and ready to get on with it he just sped off not paying much attention. I didn't even fall, so I suppose it wasn't THAT bad, but it did scare me to have one foot on the dock and the other taking off down the river, even just for a moment.

I did SO want to take video of the whole experience. I had a digital camera that has video capabilities, and believe me I tried to think of a way to capture even some of it without being found out, but "Joe" was SO close - right up on me, and the camera flashes red lights when taking video so it would not have ended well had I done it. I never felt like he would harm anyone - he wasn't that far gone, but I wouldn't have put it past him to freak out worse or do something to my camera. Like I said, it seemed like in his mind I was on his side and I wasn't in a position to jeopardize that.

This wasn't simply a bored skipper being sarcastic. I wouldn't have bothered to tell a story about that. "Joe" was WAY over the top and he had had enough and had lost it completely. Of course, it could have been much worse - I mean, crap was most un-Disney word he uttered that I could hear. He could have been dropping F-bombs and telling us we all sucked, or worse. But still, he was obviously done with Disney.

It was VERY crowded the week I was there (they opened POTC for that one week in the middle of refurb - lucky us!) and the lines were incredibly long. So the guy complaining about the lines was valid in doing so. I think people were relieved to ride a nice cool, relaxing ride and shut down their brains.

I would estimate at least 80% of our boat did not speak English. It was the United Nations boat. We had Venezuelans, Mexicans, Cubans, Japanese, Koreans, Germans, et al. on board. 80% might be a low number. Joe should have realized that - it wasn't that difficult to figure out. Perhaps he did and didn't care.

The most shocking part for me was when he unleashed on the little Venezuelan girl. At that moment I felt he was being cruel and it really pissed me off. I guess the gun firing over and over was pretty shocking too.

The dock CMs didn't see a lot of what happened, but they most definitely saw him firing the gun and screaming about center boxes and they might have heard the "crap" spiel. They heard enough. As I collected myself from the whole thing, I looked to them to speak about the experience, and they looked shocked and were whispering to each other wildly. They seemed preoccupied so I let it go. I knew he would be reported for at least part of it. It was clear that's what he wanted.

I have been to Disneyland many times over the years, but last year was the first time since Epcot first opened, that I was at WDW. Friday I am going back (taking my 13 year old nephew for 6 days) and I will ride the Jungle Cruise again. I have to say that unless our boat is great and our skipper is hilarious, the ride will most likely feel boring to me. As bizarre and freaky and weird as it was, it was incredibly entertaining (in a very uncomfortable way) and it gave me a marvelous story to tell. I'll take that over boring any day. Hopefully I will have more fun, and perhaps less stressful, stories to tell this trip.

Anyone have any good tips for taking a 13 year old boy to WDW? We're staying at Port Orleans French Quarter. I recently saw that the maids make towel animals. I had no idea! I feel cheated - last year we didn't get a single towel animal. Is it because we were both adults? Just cause I'm old doesn't mean I can't appreciate a well crafted towel animal. Hell, I had toys all over the place and not once were they posed. Drat!

Well, I'm VERY excited and am looking for tips on special things to do. We have Fantasmic package reservations for the Brown Derby, but that's it. Hopefully it's not too late to make more. I don't want to get too tied down to places and times, but one more reservation might be a good thing.

I saw that they have the Animal Kingdom behind the scenes tour, but you have to be 16 to do that one. I'm an animal nut, so that was disappointing. I told Nick we have to go back and do it when he turns 16.

So for an adult and a 13 year old boy - what one other meal reservation would you make? Any tips on interesting things to do? I should probably start a new thread with this, but what the hell. I'll try first here.

Thanks again for all your replies and Viva la Jungle Cruise!

• On Autopilot

Well on a GOOD note we were in the jungle cruise at night and the three of us (dad, myself, and my friend Kyle) made the skippers day. Through the whole time we laughed at the jokes (since it was also the last ride we were going on for the night) and at the end we stole a joke from the skipper and she blammed it on my Pirate Pal Mickey and Kyle broke out into "Yoho Yoho a Pirates life for me" and the whole boat started singing along

^_^ I wish that would happen more often at Disney ._.

• The Delicate Tinkerbell

Wow...talk about unprofessional. How much lower could you get? Even if you aren't on the job that's just making YOURSELF look bad. How horrible for one person to spazz out like that to ruin what should be a memorable Disney experience for everyone.

• The Ghost Poster.

Wow... Just Wow.. Looks like Joe had some mental issues...

" Doombuggies: The scariest transportation around! "

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast