Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dining Choices?

Dining Choices?

Hey everyone. Tomorrow's finally the 6 day month mark for my Disneyworld trip, which means ADR's! I'm so excited to make these reservations. I've been reading TONS of reviews and looking at all kinds of pictures to make sure I pick the best restaurants. Our group is also on the dining plan, which I think helps tremendously because although I am limited on choices, I don't have to worry about prices.

What do you guys think about the choices below? Also, for some of the days I do have some questions for you guys as to what are the best times to make the reservations for. You guys have ALWAYS been so helpful. Thanks to you guys, I'm sure I'll have a great trip!

Monday
    After a Day at Epcot, OHANA!!!
    We will NOT be watching Illuminations that night, so we can be gone in the evening portion. How long does it take to get from Epcot to Polynesian?

Tuesday
    After a half day at Magic Kingdom, and then checking out some resorts like Wilderness and possibly renting a boat (anybody rent a boat here before? Is it fun? How old do you have to be?), we want to go to Boma. One of my friends is worried though because he's not so used to international foods. What do you guys think about Boma?

Wednesday
    Wednesday is a day at Animal Kingdom, but I've heard that it doesn't take a full day there. Well anyways, after Animal Kingdom, we're heading to Epcot for more fun and IF our group is able to get up to 8 (right now we're at 7), we're going to get the International Dinner and Dessert Reception for Illuminations Grand Gatherings (anybody try this before?). This is worth 2 table service credits though so I'm wondering if it's worth it. If we don't get 8 in our group, we're goign for the steakhouse in Canada. If i go to the steakhouse, how early do I have to make my reservations to allow enough time to get a good spot for Illuminations after?

Thursday
    This is a full day at MGM. We hope to get Fantasmic AR at Mama Melrose than after head to FANTASMIC for our reserved seating. For the AR plan, how early do I need to make my dinner reservations?

Friday
    Our final full day, we're going to the MAGIC KINGDOM to end it off and eat at the Liberty Tavern dinner.

Comments, suggestions?

Thanks for your help again Micechatters.

Btw, what's the best guide book for Disneyworld?
    Last edited by dchun2007; 02-05-2007 at 05:32 PM.
    Currently at DreamWorks Animation SKG

Former Disneyland Adventureland Castmember
    [Skipper & Archaeologist]

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

Re: Dining Choices?

The only one I can comment on is Mama Melrose. We ate there one time, my husband, me and our two small boys, and I was not impressed. Too me it was just an average Italian dinner, nothing special. But if it is worth it to you to get Fantasmic reserved seating, then go for it. The food isn't bad, just not something to write home about.

Your plans sound great. Have a wonderful time!

• Sock Puppet

Boma-I've only had breakfast there but it was really good and the atmosphere is great.

Liberty Tree Tavern-We eat there every year for Thanksgiving and it is very good. The characters are all dressed up in colonial clothes.

Those are the only resturants out of your list that i have been to, but i hope that helped you.

Also, i like birnbaums official disney guide the best

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by dchun2007 View Post
    Monday
    We will NOT be watching Illuminations that night, so we can be gone in the evening portion. How long does it take to get from Epcot to Polynesian?
    'Ohana is still a good time, though I liked the menu better before they tinkered with it a year ago. Traveling by monorail before Illuminations, you shouldn't find any lines at all. Maybe 20 minutes. I'd walk from the TTC to the Polynesian.

Tuesday
    After a half day at Magic Kingdom, and then checking out some resorts like Wilderness and possibly renting a boat (anybody rent a boat here before? Is it fun? How old do you have to be?), we want to go to Boma. One of my friends is worried though because he's not so used to international foods. What do you guys think about Boma?
    I've rented a boat at DtD but not taken it out onto Bay Lake and the Seven Seas Lagoon. I think there is a minimum age, possibly 25.

I like Boma. Someone who isn't adventurous can find prime rib or mac and cheese or fried chicken, and everyone else can pig out on the slightly unusual menu items.

Wednesday
    Wednesday is a day at Animal Kingdom, but I've heard that it doesn't take a full day there. Well anyways, after Animal Kingdom, we're heading to Epcot for more fun and IF our group is able to get up to 8 (right now we're at 7), we're going to get the International Dinner and Dessert Reception for Illuminations Grand Gatherings (anybody try this before?). This is worth 2 table service credits though so I'm wondering if it's worth it. If we don't get 8 in our group, we're goign for the steakhouse in Canada. If i go to the steakhouse, how early do I have to make my reservations to allow enough time to get a good spot for Illuminations after?
    Define "good spot." You're going in late summer, so it'll be crowded, but even still you can show up 2 minutes before showtime and be in the 7th row behind other people standing, and be perfectly fine. The trick is to be somewhere where trees do not block your view of the CENTER of the lagoon (often, the earth ball is out there in the center during the afternoon so you can pre-plan a place). Being close to the waterline doesn't matter at all. Having no trees in way is what matters.

Thursday
    This is a full day at MGM. We hope to get Fantasmic AR at Mama Melrose than after head to FANTASMIC for our reserved seating. For the AR plan, how early do I need to make my dinner reservations?
    Melrose is OK, but Brown Derby is the better food. My wife swears by Hollywood and Vine over Melrose, too. Or Prime time Cafe.

Friday
    Our final full day, we're going to the MAGIC KINGDOM to end it off and eat at the Liberty Tavern dinner.
    Should be good. Of your limited choices there, it's a good call. Most of the time I prefer to head to a hotel instead.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Banned User

Kevin...what is this I hear about them standarizing menus all over the property?? My friends who are in the Dinning Plan complaint lately about the restaurants' menu getting simplified.. to the point it doesn't matter where you eat anymore. Any truth to that?

For the Fantasmic Dining Plan, is Hollywood & Vine better than Mama Melrose?

• Solar Flare Foamer

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States

I can only vouch for Mama Melrose. I can't imagine the food being topped by that, especially if you love Italian. Not to mention the Dining Plan is like trying to injest a small Smurf village. You'll defiantly get your fill. But strictly speaking for Mama Melrose, it's quality dinning.
    Last edited by Digital Jedi; 02-05-2007 at 10:02 PM.

The absolute best guidebook to Disney World is.....

Birnbaum's Walt Disney World
    Expert Advice From The Inside Source

Hands down!

My family and I have been using this particular guidebook ever since 1994.
    It is absolutely full of information. It is so helpful, I almost want to keep it as my little secret...hehehe

(2008's guide will be out around the first week in December, 2007)
    - Larisa

Everybody neat and pretty? Then, on with the show! -MMC

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Kevin...what is this I hear about them standarizing menus all over the property?? My friends who are in the Dinning Plan complaint lately about the restaurants' menu getting simplified.. to the point it doesn't matter where you eat anymore. Any truth to that?
    Yes... there *is* a modicum of truth to it. It's not extreme, not yet, but one or two or five "specialized" items have been removed from almost every menu in the 2006 transition to the 2007 year.

The kids' menus *did* standardize completely in September/October, but they were inundated with complaints and backpedaled. It's a quasi-standardization for kids now.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• I'll Break your Thumbs!!

Monday

Tuesday
    OHANA!!!!! FTW

Renting a boat... I would definately rent the speed boats from the poly. for some reason I think they are the fastest, and its so much fun, jumping the wake of the big ferry boats, speeding around discovery bay behind the contemporary... Definately, definately rent the speedboats.

• World Traveler

Wow ... you're gonna have a great time at all those restaurants. All the choices you've made are great.

Ohana is yummy and fun (although I prefer the Kona Cafe).

Boma is also great. Don't worry about the menu. It's a dinner buffet so there is plenty to choose from and it's not all that exotic - just imaginative.

We've rented the little boats in Bay Lake before and they're fun, but only if you're going with a little group of people to race with, etc.

Le Cellier (Canada) is amazing. Very yummy food with great service.

Quote Originally Posted by Parisi View Post
    OHANA!!!!! FTW

Renting a boat... I would definately rent the speed boats from the poly. for some reason I think they are the fastest, and its so much fun, jumping the wake of the big ferry boats, speeding around discovery bay behind the contemporary... Definately, definately rent the speedboats.
    Thanks! Do you remember what the age minimum was for that? To Rent? I'm 18 and I do have a driver's license.

• World Traveler

According to Allearsnet.com, the minimum age is 14, so you should be fine.

• I'll Break your Thumbs!!

Thanks! Do you remember what the age minimum was for that? To Rent? I'm 18 and I do have a driver's license.
    Yeah 14 is the min age, but I think to drive the boat, u will need to present a DL which they will keep on file until you bring the boat back, and DO NOT share a boat with anyone... or else u will slow down and not enjoy it... if someone doesnt want their own boat, then leave them behind..

• Starwisher

We just got back from 5 days at WDW. We stayed at CBR, which was ok, but not as nice as the Poly.
    We did the Grand Gatherings Illuminations buffet and preferred viewing area. A few observations:
    1. The food was good and plentiful, with a pretty fair sampling from several countries. E-mail me at [email protected] if you want the full menu.
    2. The entertainment was iffy, though the kids had a good time dancing with Minnie and Goofy. The rest of the program was a little, um, corny and predictable. Good for kids, but for grads?
    3. We were on the premium package (IMO THE way to do WDW if you like food) so it only cost 1 meal per person, not 2. Not sure if I'd be willing to give up 2.
    4. The Illuminations viewing area is nice but small. As soon as they open it up, get out there for the best spot.
    5. There are some pyrotechnic effects shot off from that immediate area, which gets pretty loud. But you have a great view of the entire show.

Would I do it again? Probably not. I'd probably get a nice dinner at Le Cellier and then stake out a good spot while I digested a superb meal.

In MGM, by the way, 50's prime time cafe is good, and Hollywood and Vine is a GREAT buffet, as in all you can eat, as in a good deal for a bunch of "I've been at a themepark all day and I'm STARVING" kids.

And if you get the chance, go to Narcoossee's just for dessert. The cheesecake and the chocolate cake are TO DIE FOR!
    Don't make me come in there!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast