Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• golly gawrrsh

Tipping - has it gone too far?

Ok - we are not cheap guests but i've been reading a bunch of sites today and i've just got to thinking.

Has tipping gone too far?

I mean tipping your driver $5-10, the person who brings your bags to your room $2 per bag, concierge if then make a reservations for you $5, maids$1-5 per day, wait staff 15-20% etc. who don't you tip?

I’ve read people tipping the maid service even though their towels or plastic glasses weren’t changed.

Have we just become a nation of tipping so we don’t look cheap?

We drove last year and brought our own bags to our room, we made all our reservations so we didn’t tip for that – we had bad services at some restaurants but we were on the dining plan so they still got their 18% tip even though some of those wait staff didn’t deserve it. Our maid – well normally we did tip but not this trip – almost every day there was something wrong and we had to call to have it dealt with (4 days to address mold in our bathroom was just way too long)

My aunt and uncle, and mom’s cousin and husband travel to Australia every year (aunt and uncle love it mom’s cousin husband is from there) and we’ve talked to them about tipping – in Australia there is no tipping wait staff or maid staff. I don’t know about drivers.

I am just wondering because there’s just something about it that rubs me the wrong way – I mean we are paying $100-200 a night or $100-150 for dinner for 2. shouldn’t they be paying their staff better? Why do companies (not just Disney) pay so low that guests and customers have to subsidize their employee’s salaries?

I can understand leaving a tip for someone who goes beyond the call of duty but for doing their job?

I worked as a maid in my teen years and never got a tip – either I honestly don’t remember getting one or things have changed a lot in the past 15-20 years.
    ºoº Sometimes Patrick, sometimes Karen.
    We'll let you decided who types what ºoº

• Senior Minion

Re: Tipping - has it gone too far?

If I get good service I do tip waiters, maid service though ... I don't tip. I've never heard of tipping the concierge especially since I make all my reservations ahead of time, and even if I did make them at the moment of checking in I've never tipped either.

The thing I don't get, and dislike, are the tip jars at fast food places/juice bars/coffee bars. When did this happen that somebody deserved a tip because they took my order and pushed a few buttons?!? I just find it annoying ... seeing those little jars with tips or ... even better "karma" written on there.

I agree that tipping is out of hand and I am all about tipping people that do a better than good job but now it is just expected.

It is not like giving them a tip makes them excited, but if you don’t tip you never know what might happen.

I give good tips at restaurants when they do a good job and I do leave a few bucks for the maid. I also tip $3-$5 a bag when they bring my bags to the room. I also tip valet coming and going a few dollars. Would I be happier that they just include it in the price and I never have to keep money in my pocket for this…YES. I think they should just pay them better and than lets make tips what they use to be…not expected and only for way above and beyond service.

By the way Disney policy is that concierge is not to be tipped. They have a list of “Tipping positions” and concierge is not considered one. In some cases they can even get terminated for taking a tip or gift.

Aloha

Steve
    DL 1975-2005 30 years of visiting
    WDW 1984-2005 Over 20 years of visiting

He kuikawa ka 'ikena o kela wahi ho'oku ka'a e waiho kala'e ihola ma 'o!

http://www.tikiman2001.homestead.com/

• Banned User

I always tip: drivers, bellpeople,non disney tour guides,and of course wait staff. I have never tipped maid service except for cabin steward on the three cruises I have been on. i have never tipped maid service in a hotel and i don't use concierge services.

I don't have a problem giving maid services a dollar or two for each night I stay.. most work hard, so they deserve it. Wait staff especially deserve it because their hourly wage is generally below minimum wage because they get tips - they count on them!

• Solar Flare Foamer

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States

I don't know about the Disney waiters and waitresses, but I presume it's the same as the rest of the states. The majority of their salary comes from the tips they receive. They even have to pay taxes on them. It's something to consider when deciding how much to give, if any.

But I do believe that a lot of folks don't have a proper view of tipping and what it's for. We traveled to Hilton Head for one of my wife's business trips with a bunch of her coworkers. The woman driving seemed to think that we were all supposed to tip the parking valet, and started collecting money from everybody. When she got to us, I had to explain (aside from the fact we were strapped for cash this trip) that valet parking was her decision, not ours. We could just have easily walked the twenty extra feet. Because she decided that she wanted someone to park her car for her, she felt that it was the responsibility of everyone in the SUV to tip for it. That's not how tipping works. And sadly, no one else in our car group understood that.

I feel that we have a distorted view of what tipping is in some cases. Some people take it to far thinking it's expected of them, rather then having generous motives. And some think they don't owe anyone anything. As with all things, there's a balance there that you can come to, depending on your circumstances and the depths of your pockets.

• Vehicle rotating backward

If you think tipping is too much at WDW then don't come to Vegas. Here you just about can't find someone to help an old lady cross the street without expecting a tip.

I was at the Poly 2 weeks ago, and the 5 bucks I gave my room attendant made ALL the difference in the world.

• Why can't you tune a fish

If find the tipping situation at WDW to be better than most other places.

I tip the wait staff wherever I eat, according to the level of service. The quality of food is another matter - thats the kitchens fault (most of the time)

I tip housekeeping a buck or two a day - more if they make cute towel characters for me.

A concierge in most hotels should be tipped. Thats what they make a lot of their money on. I Disney concierge is not really a concierge in the sense that WDW has most requests planned out allready and if a concierge calls and says "we have a guest that wants X" then all parties involved, as Disney employees, attempt to deliver X.

In a normal hotel a concierge can be asked just about anything, from dinner reservation, to event tickets, to arranging for clothing be cleaned quickly, etc. The concierge may try to get reservations at a restaruant thats booked, the skill comes in knowing who to ask, schmooze, call in a favor with, or even bribe. So they do get tipped. A disney concierge, while very helpful, does not get a tip (I never use them anyway)

I don't tip bell services because I rarely use them.

I do tip taxi/limo drivers.

I don't tip at counter service places - I hate that cup out on the counter as well.

I just find that on Disney property, even where a tip is expected, its not solicited as forcefully as elsewhere.

-dave

Should you tip the check-in desk if they upgrade you for free or get you the exact room you want?

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    If find the tipping situation at WDW to be better than most other places.

I tip the wait staff wherever I eat, according to the level of service. The quality of food is another matter - thats the kitchens fault (most of the time)

I tip housekeeping a buck or two a day - more if they make cute towel characters for me.

A concierge in most hotels should be tipped. Thats what they make a lot of their money on. I Disney concierge is not really a concierge in the sense that WDW has most requests planned out allready and if a concierge calls and says "we have a guest that wants X" then all parties involved, as Disney employees, attempt to deliver X.

In a normal hotel a concierge can be asked just about anything, from dinner reservation, to event tickets, to arranging for clothing be cleaned quickly, etc. The concierge may try to get reservations at a restaruant thats booked, the skill comes in knowing who to ask, schmooze, call in a favor with, or even bribe. So they do get tipped. A disney concierge, while very helpful, does not get a tip (I never use them anyway)

I don't tip bell services because I rarely use them.

I do tip taxi/limo drivers.

I don't tip at counter service places - I hate that cup out on the counter as well.

I just find that on Disney property, even where a tip is expected, its not solicited as forcefully as elsewhere.

-dave

As I mentioned above Disney Concierge is not to be tipped. They do the same duties as a concierge at other hotels. Besides the preplanning using a concierge only email or phone number they have in the past had my clothes cleaned, gotten tickets for events, given us information on things outside Disney, gotten dinner reservations at places that show up as booked and after many conversations with the concierge manager one thing that was mentioned is that concierge is told not to say no to any request or at least that is the policy of the manager for his staff.

As far as tipping goes here is what the concierge told me I could release to the public as an answer to tipping concierge.

“Officially concierge is not on a tip status and should not be receiving tips of any kind, especially cash and we should try to decline it. We are told if a guest is insistent on tipping and giving cash and it seems we will offend them if we don't take it, we can accept it but we are to turn it in to our manager. It then goes into a 'tip fund' that in the past, we used for parties or dinners for our entire staff to be able to attend and enjoy. Unfortunately, company policy states we are not to have this 'tip fund' and therefore it is very difficult for us to use any money that is turned in to the fund these days. Sometimes, cast members keep the cash that is given them thus subjecting themselves to possible termination if they are caught. (This has happened recently at another resort.) Also, sometimes a guest may leave something for another cast member in good faith that it will be given to the cast member but the intended cast member does not receive it. As far as gifts go, some guests will give gifts for the entire staff to enjoy, (usually food of some kind). While we are technically not supposed to accept these either, management usually looks the other way as they feel if a guest went through the trouble of shopping and bringing or shipping a gift, and it is for all to enjoy, that we can accept it with gratitude for their thoughtfulness and appreciation. If a guest leaves a specific gift for a cast member and it is of value, we have to advise our managers of the gift and value and then it is up to the manager to decide if we are able to keep it or not. According to our company policy, we are only able to accept 1 gift of value a year and it cannot be over a particular amount. (If they say we can't keep it, I don't know where it would go or what would happen to it.) In the past when I received a gift of value, it was approved for me to have it and I had to receive a release paper from my manager to take it home. We work as a team and while it may seem to someone that one concierge person is doing all the work, it is usually more than one person. It's just the one concierge person ends up being the one that coordinates all the requests and bookings, makes sure it is completed and replies back to the guest. It's great when we are recognized as individuals as sometimes the one concierge person may be the only one working on a particular guest and no one else needed to assist. It can also be disappointing when another cast member is recognized for all the hard work one cast member or the team did together, but we also understand that maybe the guest did not see or understand that there is a team working together, not usually just one individual. I can tell you, a concierge that works at night is not the one in the computer at 7am in the morning making all the special priority seating bookings like Cinderella's Breakfast etc. They may place the request on the list for the am crew but unless they normally work in the IPO or are doing a turnaround shift, they will not be the one booking the request. This is where the teamwork comes in play. When guests state in their emails or conversations they wish to bring us something to thank us for our service and assistance, We always state that gifts are not necessary as our assistance is part of their reservation booking. We also let them know how much we appreciate their thoughtfulness. We have to be careful in receiving gifts as management has brought it up in the past that we are not here to do things for guests in expectation of a gift or tip and we should make sure that we do not convey to guests that tips and gifts will give them better service. We are subject to discipline, not excluding termination, if management believes that we are giving guests extra gifts and room deliveries etc just because they gave us a tip or gift. Room deliveries for welcome, birthdays, anniversaries and special occasions are now monitored more closely as well as more standardized to make sure all guests are getting the same type of amenity and that the amenity is appropriate to their occasion. Things like towel animals etc in the room are done by housekeeping and it depends on the housekeeper as to whether or not they do these things for their guests. Not all the housekeepers have the time or skill to do the towel animals. The housekeepers work very hard and when guests leave them a tip with their name on it, their management looks the other way as they feel if a guest appreciated the housekeeper so much as to leave them something, the housekeeper must deserve it and it also promotes moral and the housekeepers take more pride in their job. A win, win situation as some say. As you stated, it is not done because they gave gifts, it is done out of the kindness of our hearts and our wish to make their stay Magical. We don't do things for guests and expect a tip or gift. Knowing we made a guest's vacation special makes us feel good and that is why we are here. There are times when we wish could do more for our guests because we know how special their occasion is or they are repeat guests. Guests who stay on a Concierge level outside of WDW know that if they are big tippers, they are going to get whatever they want, especially if the tip is big enough. This is not the case at WDW. Concierge is a level of service they are already paying for by the higher price of our rooms and having a private building. The food in our amenity lounge is not what they are paying for either, it is an amenity that is offered since they are staying in the building. The Concierge staff, are paid an hourly rate to do our job, we are not on a tip status. When we go out of our way, it is because we want to, not because we are paid more or expect or know we are going to get a big tip or gift. The cast members that are on a tip status are the bellmen, the valet, the bartenders and the restaurant servers. They are paid on a tip wage which is low and they work for their tips with the service they provide. This is industry standard.”
    DL 1975-2005 30 years of visiting
    WDW 1984-2005 Over 20 years of visiting

He kuikawa ka 'ikena o kela wahi ho'oku ka'a e waiho kala'e ihola ma 'o!

http://www.tikiman2001.homestead.com/

• WDW Fant! Premiere Cast

I would have tipped the bellperson this past Dec had I seen one. I checked into the GCH (concierge, no less) at 8pm and no one even asked if I needed help with my bag. I didn't drive, was dropped off at the front door and bell services opened my door. That was it. I knew there was a special concierge check-in, didn't know where. I was told to go inside to the main desk.

I am almost always a generous tipper, which is why this incident bothered me. I should be the one to turn down bell services, not be ignored by them. I had never heard about tipping housekeeping. Now I know, thanks for the "tip"!

• See you there!

I believe that I am a generoeus tipper. I tip all the right places (bags, meals, drivers, etc.), that said.

I do believe that tipping has gotten way, way out of hand, gone much, much too far.

Way back when... tipping was optional, and was generally only for service above-and-beyond, not just for providing the service one could expect (like having a meal brought to a table at a table serve restaruant).

Disney has gone so far as to add the tip to some places (they tell you, but they do add a tip) like at a food court type place.

I really believe that tipping should just be abolished, and that employers should just pay their people what the job is worth. If the job is worth $15 per hour, pay $15 per hour don't pay $5 per hour and expect them to make up the $10 per hour in tips. If this means raising prices, so-be-it! I would rather pay what something is worth, than to pay a bill and then add more to it because I didn't feel I paid enough.

Some wait-staff will say that tipping encourages good service and that a wage without tipping would decrease the quality of service. Well, if a person decreased his level of service, maybe that should be between that person and their supervisor, not between me and the staff.

Do checkers at a grocery store get tips? How about sales people at any store (clothing, department, what-not)? How about teachers? When was the last time you tipped a teacher?

You don't! You don't tip these people because they are paid to do a job! It is time for employers (not consumers) to pay their employees!

Until this happens, I will continue to tip appropriately. But I can dream.

Don't flame me, this is just an opinion, I can not make policy or change how anyone is paid.

Just MHO, YMMV

CU@DL

Andy
    -
    What is, is... What is not, is not.

Boom!

I don't ask for much... Just a few little things!

Extra effort yields extraordinary results!

• Still wants to be a cat!

What I hate is when they automatically charge the tip on the dining bill. No matter the size of the group, it should be up to us, not them on how much we tip. Ariel's Grotto in DL, tacked on 18% the other day, and there was only 5 of us.
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch74 View Post
    The thing I don't get, and dislike, are the tip jars at fast food places/juice bars/coffee bars. When did this happen that somebody deserved a tip because they took my order and pushed a few buttons?!? I just find it annoying ... seeing those little jars with tips or ... even better "karma" written on there.
    Oh, I hate those. There are a few places where I know the person who rings me up does more (a local pizza place) and they are always very nice. Some of the kids at the ice rink I work at try to do this at the snack bar. I always toss the cup they put up when I see it go onto the counter.

I do think the tipping expectations have gone too far. I understand working for tips as an incentive for quality work. The problem is it seems that everywhere the tip is expected irregardless of the quality of work.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast