Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dinner Shows

Dinner Shows

We are trying to determine if we should do a dinner show. Have 2 boys 5 & 7 and we are getting the meal plan and have the table meals we can use. Our trip is in June.

We have seen the Hoop De Doo and although they enjoyed it, they do not care if they see it again so we already planned on not doing it again so did not call for ADRís.

What is Mickey's Backyard BBQ like? With a June trip, I am worried about being to hot in the pavilion. I think the kids might like it but I have not seen to many good reviews of it. What types of food do they have for kids? We have one picky eater and the food they list for the buffet he will not eat so am wondering if we can get something else for him. How long is the show and is it possible to be done with it and make it out to the beach to watch the Electric Water Pageant?

Will the boys like Spirit of Aloha and what type of kidís food do they offer. I have not been able to find Kidís meals for the show only that they are offered. Not even on Tikimanís site. I have also heard you get worse seating using the dinning plan. Does anyone know what Category (1, 2 or 3) you are put in when using the dinning plan? Ditto on the Electric Water Pageant question from above in that can we watch it at 9 if we go to a 5:15 show?

Thanks for the help.

Re: Dinner Shows

Spirit of Aloha show gets bad reviews all the time and I never understand it. My first luaus were with friends who live in Maui so I never wanted to do any of the hotel luaus (to touristy) but we found a luau in Maui run by locals that is truly authentic with the food and dance. With that being said you would think I would be a hard one to please with a Disney luau show. Well I find much of it to be authentic with a Disney twist and a lot of fun. I love dinner shows so I enjoy this one. The food is good also and not too exotic for those that are not adventurous with food. There is all you care to eat and everyone around us was asking for more so it could not be that bad. I have also never seen anyone near us not enjoying the evening so I canít figure where the bad reports come from. Maybe people with different expectations or who are on a tight budget and get upset when they pay that much for dinner. The show is an every other time thing for us.

There is a kids menu but I have not added it to my pages. The kids menu is For Kids (3-9)
    Macaroni and Cheese
    Chicken Nuggets
    Peanut Butter and Jelly
    Hot Dogs

Seating is not assigned and you can see the map on my page but I do not know what you get assigned with the dinning plan. I have someone I can ask that does the assignments at the Polynesian but it will take me a day or so to get a reply.

You should have plenty of time to see the EWP after the early dinner show and I do suggest doing the early show.

Here is a link to the menu and some info.

http://www.tikiman2001.homestead.com/luau.html
    DL 1975-2014
    WDW 1984-2014

He kuikawa ka 'ikena o kela wahi ho'oku ka'a e waiho kala'e ihola ma 'o!

http://www.tikimanpages.com/poly/

• golly gawrrsh

we really enjoyed spirit of aloha and i'm sure our daughter will like it when she gets older but i'm not so sure it's something a boy would like.

we did have assigned seating - our hostess was told which one and showed us to it.

we were also on the dp but everyone we saw was shown to their seat.

dp's don't get up front and centre - we are do the side on the main floor and up on the upper floor.

Mickey's BBQ - we've read a lot of other reviews on it and it's not getting very good ones. apparently it looks like they only give you 30 minutes to eat. i find that very odd considering Spirit - you eat through the show. we had really hoped to go on our next visit but we are swayed by all the negative reviews.

that's all i've got for ya.

can't wait to see what you choose then hear your review.
    ļoļ Sometimes Patrick, sometimes Karen.
    We'll let you decided who types what ļoļ

• Feeling LOVED

We loved the Spirt of Aloha luau. The both times we had the dining plan. First time we sat to the far left of the stage in the front. Second time we sat up on there lil balcony in the front ( seeing in the front was better). The kids loved the menu, the fact that they didn't have to eat grown up food was cool to them and they got there own lil box of food. They did end up eating the ribs from the grown ups food, but they loved sampling. My 5 year old fell asleep during the middle of the show, but woke up for the fire dancer at the end. My 9 year old loved all of it. Hope that helps a lil...
    HEARTS CLUB !!

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2dzneboys View Post
    We loved the Spirt of Aloha luau. The both times we had the dining plan. First time we sat to the far left of the stage in the front. Second time we sat up on there lil balcony in the front ( seeing in the front was better). The kids loved the menu, the fact that they didn't have to eat grown up food was cool to them and they got there own lil box of food. They did end up eating the ribs from the grown ups food, but they loved sampling. My 5 year old fell asleep during the middle of the show, but woke up for the fire dancer at the end. My 9 year old loved all of it. Hope that helps a lil...

It does, thanks. Judging from the picture you were there for a Star Wars weekend. How was that. Did you boys enjoy it. Did they get to do the Jeti training?

• Feeling LOVED

Actually the pic is from Disneyland and the Jedi Training academy. The boys love it!!!
    HEARTS CLUB !!

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2dzneboys View Post
    Actually the pic is from Disneyland and the Jedi Training academy. The boys love it!!!
    What was the experiance like being picked? Was it as bad as I have read on some posts?

Thanks Tikiman. I think we are leaning to the Spirit of Aloha especially since we can get the kids meals. We almost stayed at the Poly this time, but the extra cost was still just too much for us. We were also worried about counter service meals on the dinning plan at the Poly and the bus transportation to the non-Monorail parks and DDT. In the past we eat many of our CS meals on the plan at the resort and have a picky eater so was worried about CS options at the resort. In our minds, a big reason for the additional cost of staying there would be convenience but wasnít sure the non-monorail parks would be any more convenient than any other resort.

• Former CM

My son loved the Spirt of Aloha show and he was only 2 1/3 at the time. He was dancing at the table while he watched the show. You can also find the menu for it here. Kids don't have to eat off the kid menu.

Quote Originally Posted by FMTX View Post
    Thanks Tikiman. I think we are leaning to the Spirit of Aloha especially since we can get the kids meals. We almost stayed at the Poly this time, but the extra cost was still just too much for us. We were also worried about counter service meals on the dinning plan at the Poly and the bus transportation to the non-Monorail parks and DDT. In the past we eat many of our CS meals on the plan at the resort and have a picky eater so was worried about CS options at the resort. In our minds, a big reason for the additional cost of staying there would be convenience but wasnít sure the non-monorail parks would be any more convenient than any other resort.

Too bad you are not going in late July / Early August. We got some group rates for the Polynesian that are over $100 off the rack rate for every view including concierge.

Doesnít Captain Cookís count as Counter Service? I use to hate Captain Cookís but the new one is awesome (just opened in November).

As far as transportation I did some research for the website and timed trips to parks. Obviously getting to the MK is easy and fast. Getting to Epcot was as fast as walking from our room at the Yacht Club and faster than when we stayed at the Swan or Dolphin. Taking the bus to MGM and AK were about the same amount of time and was about 35-40 minutes but very easy to do. Remember you have the Transportaion and Ticket Center walking distance from your rooms at the Polynesian so getting to different transportation options does not get any easier. I have stayed at a few of the resorts and I have not found a resort that gets to all the parks as easy as the Polyensian.
    DL 1975-2014
    WDW 1984-2014

• Banned User

Last time I saw this show it was simply the "Polynesian Luau", and that was in July, 1981. As I recall, my family and I found it rather amusing (of course, it's not the same show today as it was almost 26 years ago), being that we were from Hawaii (I was born and raised in Honolulu). For some reason I remember sitting on the floor, but that can't be right, but I don't remember chairs and regular tables like they have today. I think my mind is playing tricks on me.

• Feeling LOVED

What was the experiance like being picked? Was it as bad as I have read on some posts?
    we went with Kwgrlup and her kids. She made them jedi robes. She let my kids borrow them. We made signs for the boys so that they could hopefully get picked. They worked, the master Jedi walked by and smiled at them when he first saw them. My boys were the first two picked ...and Kwgrlups boys were right after that. It wasn't a bad experience. We had been another time and my older son wasnt' picked. So we really tried hard to make sure he got chosen this time. It was a blast and they really took it seriously.
    HEARTS CLUB !!

Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    being that we were from Hawaii (I was born and raised in Honolulu).

Wow born and raised. My Dad was in the military and we spent 6 years in the 70's and 80's on Hickam right near the water tower. Unfortunately, have not been back but found memories. The summer trip every year was to another island. How can that ever be beat.

Just a follow-up on my own post is that allearsnet.com does have listed on their site under the restaurants available for the dinning plan that dinning plan is only eligible for category 2 & 3 for both the Spirit of Aloha and Hoop-Dee-Doo. That certainly was not the case two years ago when we use the dinning plan for the Hoop-Dee-Doo and had a table right on the stage.

Just a follow-up on my own post is that allearsnet.com does have listed on their site under the restaurants available for the dinning plan that dinning plan is only eligible for category 2 & 3 for both the Spirit of Aloha and Hoop-Dee-Doo. That certainly was not the case two years ago when we use the dinning plan for the Hoop-Dee-Doo and had a table right on the stage.
    That is because the seating categories went into effect this January. Before it was sort of first come, first serve with the seating.
    DL 1975-2014
    WDW 1984-2014

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast