Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What I LOVED about WDW

I wanted to make this post separate from the "Why do you love WDW better than DL" thread because I don't love one more than the other. As a longtime DLR vet, however, I can't help but make some comparisons.

A little background first. This was our 2nd trip ever to WDW. A trip to WDW is much more expensive for my family than a trip to DLR because we live in the west and we have 3 kids. Due to the expense involved, we will probably have to wait at least 5 years before going again. The financial aspects of such a voyage put a damper on my excitement for this trip, which was aggravated by Al Lutz's recent criticisms of WDW and Kevin Yee's "Decline by Degrees" columns.

But I was very, very pleasantly surprised. No, the trip didn't go perfect and I had a few gripes that I've talked about in other threads (specifically here and here). But overall we had a wonderful experience at WDW. Here are some things I really loved about WDW:

1- CM's- Whereas most of DLR's CM's are locals, WDW has quite the diversity of CM's. I paid special attention to where they were from and I loved how they hailed from all over the world. Overall, CM morale seemed to be higher than their colleagues at DLR. It was also nice to see some older CM's. CM's at WDW were very friendly and I ended up making several trips to City Hall to fill out congrats cards. In particular, E.J. from the UK was the best Jungle Cruise skipper I've ever seen and he got some nice comments from me at City Hall.

2- Guests- Again, whereas many DLR visitors are locals with annual passes, seeing huge diversity of guests was a nice change. We stayed at the All-Star resort and it was amazing to hang out in the food court with people from all around the world- all there for the same reason- to have a good time. In a way it kind of felt like family. I spent a few late night hours in the guest laundry chatting with a group of teenagers from Brazil. And being from the West, it was cool to interact with so many people from East of the Mississippi.

3- MK's hub and wide walkways- As a DLR vet whose been very frustrated by crowds in recent years, let me just say that MK's hub layout is awesome.

4- Monorails-
    At DLR, the monorail is an attraction. And frankly, it's more of a pain than it's worth. I loved the efficient monorail system at WDW. My kids got to ride in the front of the monorails several times and we met some neat monorail drivers that told us cool stories and facts about them. I'm sure the drivers at DLR are just as nice. It's just that the monorail is much more a part of a WDW trip.

5- The expanse of land-
    This is a double-edged sword. On one hand it makes parkhopping much more complicated than at DLR, but there are a lot of plusses. I love riding the monorail over the jungly greenery that blankets the property. You can see old trails and roads, and I wish I could just trek them all. I also love the ferry ride to MK. The distance between the parks and rest of the world gives it more of an isolated, Disney zone feel and that was really nice.

There were a lot of other things I loved about WDW, but these were some of the highlights for me.
    Last edited by JungleBumCT; 02-07-2007 at 10:12 AM.

• World Traveler

Re: What I LOVED about WDW

I agree that while there are a few problems with WDW, the majority is positive. I'm glad you had a great time.

If you really want to see a well run and amazing Disney theme park, you might want to consider Tokyo Disney Resort. It's as close to perfection as you can get. Start saving up your Yen now!

• May the F=ma be with you

I am glad that you has a great time. I feel the same about WDW. However, WDW and DLR cannot be truly compared due to their size differences.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• I was deleted.

I'm glad you enjoyed some things. I feel the walkways are great and terrible at the same time! It's nice when the parks are crowded and that's why they built it that way - so you could walk. However, it often makes things so far away - everywhere you turn around is a walkway instead of another attraction at DL.

• Banned User

The MK hub and the ferry ride across the Seven Seas Lagoon are two of my reasons for loving the Magic Kingdom as well. It's so beautiful having the MK sit on the edge of the Seven Seas Lagoon.

Loved the many varieties of shows!

Walt Disney World is a wonderful place. I'm glad you saw that first hand. I really don't care what people say. Yes, it has it's problems. Yes, there could be improvements. But honestly, there is nowhere in the world I'd rather be anytime in my life. I loved visiting Disneyland, but I absolutely adored living at Walt Disney World. It is by far the Most Magical Place on Earth.
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

• Monorail Racer

Ever since I first went to WDW way back in the year it opened, I've always loved the journey to the Magic Kingdom. Via ferryboat or monorail across the Seven Seas Lagoon. The anticipation was very exciting and seeing the hotels as we approached MK was something else.
    Warning: Portions of this attraction are intense and may not be appropriate for younger children.

• Mouse Extra Dave

Keep in mind the columnists you speak of...well...they are coming froma different angle then the guest. Sometimes, I think they forget that when the walk around looking for bird poop to photograph. But what they are doing is important, especially if Disney reads these. WDW is really focusing on TLC this year, look at all the projects at Epcot for example, and perhaps Mr. Yee won't worry about bird droppings much longer.

WDW is a wonderful place. Even when management has done all it could to sap out as much of the budget as possible it has always remained wonderful.
    "You are not the first to pass this way..."
    Mouse Extra
    feeding the Disney addiction daily
    http://www.mouseextra.com/

• Mouse Extra Dave

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoaster View Post
    Ever since I first went to WDW way back in the year it opened, I've always loved the journey to the Magic Kingdom. Via ferryboat or monorail across the Seven Seas Lagoon. The anticipation was very exciting and seeing the hotels as we approached MK was something else.
    And I am sure Walt would love to hear you say that. So much effort went into acheiving just that emotion you speak of...
    "You are not the first to pass this way..."
    Mouse Extra
    feeding the Disney addiction daily
    http://www.mouseextra.com/

• Minion

I love the atmosphere there. The combination of music, ambient sounds, architecture, theming, set dressing, landscaping, topiaries, flowers, wildlife etc. etc. etc. It's amazing to me how they make all of those elements, and many others, work together to create the "Disney experience".

Sometimes the little things really make a huge difference as well. To me, there is no greater joy than watching kids chase and try and pick up the fiber optic lights off of the sidewalk in Epcot at night.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoaster View Post
    The Magic Kingdom at WDW has an approach to the park that no other Disney park can beat. Sitting on the edge of that lake is just golden.

• Former Epcot CM

Quote Originally Posted by mikeland View Post
    I agree that while there are a few problems with WDW, the majority is positive. I'm glad you had a great time.

If you really want to see a well run and amazing Disney theme park, you might want to consider Tokyo Disney Resort. It's as close to perfection as you can get. Start saving up your Yen now!
    Your statement is correct, but I was under the impression that the OP made the post in the first place to show the things he enjoyed about WDW and appreciate them for what they are. Instead of comparing to Disneyland/Tokyo Disneyland/Disneyland Paris.

I agree, Tokyo is probably as close to perfection as you can get, but I think we have far too many threads bum-sucking Tokyo and California and excreting all over Orlando.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    Your statement is correct, but I was under the impression that the OP made the post in the first place to show the things he enjoyed about WDW and appreciate them for what they are. Instead of comparing to Disneyland/Tokyo Disneyland/Disneyland Paris.

I agree, Tokyo is probably as close to perfection as you can get, but I think we have far too many threads bum-sucking Tokyo and California and excreting all over Orlando.
    Califnornia is cute and has some attractions I love that exist nowhere else, but I've always hated how small it is. And Tokyo Disneyland, I was looking at satellite pictures of it, the lands are so ill defined, the Cyrstal Palace is out floating in the middle of nowhere. There's so much I don't like about Tokyo, without even having been there. DisneySea is another matter, but TDL.....weird.

• Former Epcot CM

Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    Califnornia is cute and has some attractions I love that exist nowhere else, but I've always hated how small it is. And Tokyo Disneyland, I was looking at satellite pictures of it, the lands are so ill defined, the Cyrstal Palace is out floating in the middle of nowhere. There's so much I don't like about Tokyo, without even having been there. DisneySea is another matter, but TDL.....weird.
    Careful... you'll get a reply off someone now defending California or Tokyo.

Like I said above, I think this an appreciative thread of WDW, not a comparison between any of the resorts.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California