Chefs de France or Coral Reef Restaurant?

Hey everyone. I know i keep asking a million questions, but it's only because you guys are the most helpful EVER. I'm FINALLY paying my deposit now so it's really exciting.

I was wondering, have you guys been to Chefs de France and/or Coral Reef? I'm trying to decide the lunch that we'll be having on the first day we arrive. We're actually arriving at orlando airport at 6:30 am!! so quite early, but we'll chill and get some rest but eventually head over to epcot. We're on the dining plan so price does not matter, but I narrowed it down to these two.

Suggestions? Comments? you guys are the BEST
    Currently at DreamWorks Animation SKG

Former Disneyland Adventureland Castmember
    [Skipper & Archaeologist]

• I am number 4 of 999

Re: Chefs de France or Coral Reef Restaurant?

We ate a Le Chefs De France last time we were there because Coral Reef at the time was two dining credits. Le Chefs De France is beautiful! I had assorted cheeses as an appetizer, fish as my main course and a chocolate apricot cake with pistachio sorbet for dessert. And Illuminations was happening while we were eating so we were able to watch it from our table. We also had the cutest little french lady EVER for a waitress. I LOVED IT!!!
    Here is a picture of my dessert:

This Coral Reef is still a "MUST DO", one of these trips!

• xmanmom

We ate at Les Chefs de France and we loved it. The ambiance is really nice, the food was good and our waiter was one of the best our whole trip. I say go to France!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Chefs de France would be my pick. Grant you, you are in Florida and seafood is very expensive where we are in the Rockies, so you would think the Coral Reef would be our selection.

However, there's something about eating fish WHILE fish are swimming around you. I kept waiting for one to stare hard at the glass between us and look at my plate and say, "Bob? Is that you?"

It got kinda creepy.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Mouse Extra Dave

Chef's de France without a doubt. Coral Reef is a nice novelty, but many people come out disappointed with the food and service. This was one treateas a jewel of Disney's dining offerings, but not any more.
    "You are not the first to pass this way..."
    Mouse Extra
    feeding the Disney addiction daily
    http://www.mouseextra.com/

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Sorry, but I gotta go in the other direction. Chefs de France used to be much better, but the last couple visits it's been pretty lame. I LOVE the Coral Reef - the atmosphere, the service, the food are all excellent. Ask for a seat down by the glass. You might have to wait a bit for a table, but it's well worth it.

Or, if you're stuck on French food, try the Bistro de Paris, upstairs from Chefs de France. Really excellent food in a nice quiet atmosphere. Some of the best food I've eaten on Disney property (& I LIVE to eat!).

• xmanmom

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Or, if you're stuck on French food, try the Bistro de Paris, upstairs from Chefs de France. Really excellent food in a nice quiet atmosphere. Some of the best food I've eaten on Disney property (& I LIVE to eat!).
    Yes, but he said that he is on the dining plan and I don't believe Bistro de Paris is an option, or if it is, it is a two credit meal.

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Sorry, but I gotta go in the other direction. Chefs de France used to be much better, but the last couple visits it's been pretty lame. I LOVE the Coral Reef - the atmosphere, the service, the food are all excellent. Ask for a seat down by the glass. You might have to wait a bit for a table, but it's well worth it.

I've never dined at France a couple of times, with their recent smaller portions due to their participation in the Disney dining plan I wouldn't dine there again for a few years. I have heard nothing but glowing reviews and comments about Coral Reef and it's on my list of places to dine - so GO FOR IT! I think you'll have just as much fun there and plus you can soak up the atmosphere of France via the Bistro, just like danyoung said. I pretty much go there on every Epcot visit for desert (except during Food and Wine when I go to their stand instead.)

Have fun!! I can't wait to hear your TR! And no worries, ask most questions.

• WDW Fant! Premiere Cast

I vote for the Coral Reef, they have the most amazingly cravable Lobster Bisque on the planet!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Since I have not eaten at Chefs, I can only say I was very disappointed in the Coral Reef. I thought it was too expensive, and the food just wasn't that good. I couldn't even finish it. But, it is gorgeous.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

I've never eaten at Coral Reef. All I can tell you is that reviews on the food are mixed, but most like the atmosphere.

I have had dinner at Chefs multiple times, and I think its a good choice, even though I'm not even a fan of French food. Their menu has taken a bit of a beating with the dining plan, but that's true of most of the nicer restaurants.

We've always had good service there.

Bistro was good too, but its a much more quiet, intimate experience. Its actually the only park restaurant that has a dress code, though I think it still only amounts to "no tank tops". Also, I just checked another website that lists the DDP participating restaurants and Bistro is not included.

I'd go with Chefs.

• Hello there

Blog Entries

I ate at both- my pick is Chefs. Coral Reef was way over priced and the food not that good. I was very dissappointed. Chefs food was great.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Minion

Ate at Coral for lunch, never Chefs.
    Overall impression of Coral:
    Food (Mahi mahi): Good, not super awesome.
    Dessert (Chocolate Wave): THIS ROCKED! And I'm not much of a dessert eater.
    Service: Great! Fast, courteous. No problem whatsoever with using the Dining Plan.
    Atmosphere: Fantastic! What could be better than dining in front of a gigantic aquarium?
    Pricing: Seemed fair enough, but I didn't care since we used Dining Plan. For example, the mahi mahi I had was $17.99 and it was a moderately sized hunk of grilled mahi over couscous, spinach and covered with a honey glaze. Not that it was bad, it just seemed a tad expensive for what it was. On the other hand, kids cheese pizza was more than fair at $5.49 and the dessert was a steal (very, very good and could easily feed two) at $7.99.

I'll definitely go there again. Maybe try dinner there next time?

Quote Originally Posted by lisaboo View Post
    Yes, but he said that he is on the dining plan and I don't believe Bistro de Paris is an option, or if it is, it is a two credit meal.
    I think you're right about the Bistro not being on the dining plan, which I've never understood.

And reading through this thread, it looks like there are about equal votes for and against Chefs and the Reef. So my final suggestion would be just to pick the theme that most interests you, and take yer chances.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan View Post
    I've never dined at France a couple of times...
    Well, I've never dined at some places way more than a couple of times!

Sorry, BPF, but that just made me giggle. . .