Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Questions for 1st on property stay

Ya'll will have to excuse me, I have never stayed on property...and we are planning to do so on our next trip in Sept. I keep coming up with all kinds of questions, and instead of calling the Disney number everyday, and getting just answers with no opinions...I thought I'd ask ya'll....what beter way? So, get ready to answer questions...I'll keep posting more and more until our trip...time for me to bug ya'll!!!

*we have a four year old, who hates to walk for long periods of time, so a stroller is needed. We could take ours which is very big and bulky...and would be such a hassle getting on and off buses, trams, monorails, etc. So, we thought about renting one.....I saw on the website that you can pay one time for all the days you will need a stroller,and then just show your receipt and pick it up at each park...for all our days, we could actually just buy another stroller...one better suited for our needs, but, dragging it around is STILL a problem...what do ya'll suggest? How are the strollers at the parks? Can you rent one in the morning, bring it back in the afternoon and pick another one up that night? Or do you have to pay again? Can you describe them to me...do they have a compartment to store things?

*how complicated is getting around on Disney transportation? We'd like to only ride this our whole stay....to the parks...and to check out other resorts.

*Does anyone know when they will post the dates for the Halloween party? PLEASE tell me it starts in Sept. again.

*is there a limit of how many extra magic hour days you can take advantage of? Or can we go everyday?

*if you have a 7 day park pass, can you go to the parks one day, and take a day off, and then go the next day...or do all days have to be in a row?

Thank you SO very very much!! I'm sure there will be lots more before our vacation.....so, all you Disney know it all's... HELP!!!

Re: Questions for 1st on property stay

I don't know much about the strollers, so I can't help you there.. I can tell you though that WDW transportation is great in my opinion, and isn't complicated at all. The busses clearly state their destinations, and if you have any questions or need help getting around, there are usually CMs to ask, or you can ask a driver

Also, there's no limit to how many days you go for extra magic hours AND with the 7-day park pass, you don't have to use all of your "days" on consecutive days.. you could even save a day to use 10 years from now!

Let us know if you have anymore questions - I hope someone can help you out about the strollers and Halloween party dates

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ieffectfor_disney View Post

Also, there's no limit to how many days you go for extra magic hours AND with the 7-day park pass, you don't have to use all of your "days" on consecutive days.. you could even save a day to use 10 years from now!

Passes have expiration dates. You pay more for the pass with no Expiration.

• Former CM

I have a little one myself and he has a good size stroller. I just fold it up and on an empty bus I sit about 2/3 of the way back near the handicapped space due to there being more room. You can also just buy an umbrella stroller for less then renting one each day if you don't want to haul around the big one.

The transportation takes a little getting used to, but only for a day or so. You can use it to get around everywhere.

I think the Haloween stuff started in Sept, but I don't remember for sure.

You can take advantage of extra hours everyday as there is no limit.

If you have extra days on your pass you will need to get the No Experation option to use them later.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Thank you all So much. My daughter does have an umbrella stroller, but, my husband is over 6 foot tall, and it kills him to bend over to push her...our good stroller, is tall enough...but, seriously big..besides, without it in the trunk, I have more room for souvenirs!!!!

*if anyone could describe the strollers in the parks, that would be great..I'm just wondering if it has a compartment to ut my backpack or if I'll have to lug that around the whole time

*how many floors is the Pop Century? Is it inside hallways or outside?

• Minion

I would guess that Pop Century has outside hallways since most of the value and moderates do
    ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

• Jambo!

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchy-poo View Post
    *we have a four year old, who hates to walk for long periods of time, so a stroller is needed. We could take ours which is very big and bulky...and would be such a hassle getting on and off buses, trams, monorails, etc. So, we thought about renting one.....I saw on the website that you can pay one time for all the days you will need a stroller,and then just show your receipt and pick it up at each park...for all our days, we could actually just buy another stroller...one better suited for our needs, but, dragging it around is STILL a problem...what do ya'll suggest? How are the strollers at the parks? Can you rent one in the morning, bring it back in the afternoon and pick another one up that night? Or do you have to pay again? Can you describe them to me...do they have a compartment to store things?
    From all things I've heard, it's a lot easier to just rent a stroller every day at each park, then buy one or bring your own and lug it around everywhere.

how complicated is getting around on Disney transportation? We'd like to only ride this our whole stay....to the parks...and to check out other resorts.
    The Transportation all varys on whuch resorts you stay at, though pretty much every resort has bus service to all 4 parks and Downtown Disney. Some hotels such as the Swan and Dolphin have watercraft service to the parks and of course the resorts like the Polynesian have monorail service. All of them are fairly easy to use, the buses all have their destination on the sign in the front so you know where they are going.

is there a limit of how many extra magic hour days you can take advantage of? Or can we go everyday?
    As long as you are a Disney Resort guest, you can participate in any and all Extra Magic Hours. Such as going to Animal Kingdom for EMH in the mroning and then doing the Disney-MGM EMH that night. If they are offered, then you can go.

if you have a 7 day park pass, can you go to the parks one day, and take a day off, and then go the next day...or do all days have to be in a row?
    There is a no expiration date addition to a ticket, but it costs extra. Normal passes must be used within 14 days of first use.

how many floors is the Pop Century? Is it inside hallways or outside?
    The Pop Century and most Value resorts have 4 or 5 floors with hallways located on the outside.
    Last edited by goofgeek; 02-11-2007 at 02:43 PM.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Ya'll will have to excuse me, I have never stayed on property...and we are planning to do so on our next trip in Sept. I keep coming up with all kinds of questions, and instead of calling the Disney number everyday, and getting just answers with no opinions...I thought I'd ask ya'll....what beter way? So, get ready to answer questions...I'll keep posting more and more until our trip...time for me to bug ya'll!!!
    No worries.. while this site isn't as much travel related, there are a few that are almost EXCLUSIVLY focused on this topic. So there is help here and lots more out there as well! I don't want to irk anyone, so you can PM me if you want more info. This site is more casual focused, while others are more travel focused.

The ones I saw were the larger plastic shaped bottom ones with hanging basket nets on the back. What I would recommend given your child's age is a simple umbrella stroller. We took one for our 3yr old and they have the advantage that they can be folded up small in just seconds. We used a backpack to carry all the 'extras' rather then trying to stuff everything in the stroller. Getting strollers around inside the parks isn't hard at all - but why go through the hassle of 'settling in' and back out of a stroller each day?

*how complicated is getting around on Disney transportation? We'd like to only ride this our whole stay....to the parks...and to check out other resorts.
    Its very functional and effective. It is not however very FAST - depending on where you are started and going. Pretty much going to the main parks from anywhere is simple. Getting a ride back typically involves a short wait, and trying to go between non-direct routes, like going between two resorts typically would be a hassle. If renting a car is an option, its certainly faster for many scenarios. For simply to-from parks, the buses are typically plenty adaquate. However, do not expect every 5 minutes like you get on the subway. Often a 15+min wait is normal.

We used to exclusivly use disney transport - and typically stayed at the Poly because of the walking access to the TTC. However, now we rent a van for the week. A Minivan is only ~$300/week through hotwire. Cars are cheaper - in the $2xx range.

*Does anyone know when they will post the dates for the Halloween party? PLEASE tell me it starts in Sept. again.
    Last year the tickets went on say in May. So I would assume probably April timeframe.

*is there a limit of how many extra magic hour days you can take advantage of? Or can we go everyday?
    No limits.. no tracking of it what so ever. Simply have your hotel key card to get in the gates on early entry days, and to get bands on late nights. Personally I would recommend focusing on early entry days - the EMH for evenings typically tend to be busy and not so great IMO. Less things are open (notably food) and with a crowd focused on less attractions.. lines can be longer.

*if you have a 7 day park pass, can you go to the parks one day, and take a day off, and then go the next day...or do all days have to be in a row?
    Once the ticket is activated, the clock starts. However, you are allowed to skip up to 2 days I believe it is. All tickets expire 14 days after first use, unless the noexpire option is purchased. You can skip days, I just don't remember the specifics. There is some info out there, or other people to ask. But short answer is.. the days on the pass are for days used.. but there is an expiration limit (unless no expire is purchased)

• Why can't you tune a fish

Thank you all So much. My daughter does have an umbrella stroller, but, my husband is over 6 foot tall, and it kills him to bend over to push her...our good stroller, is tall enough...but, seriously big..besides, without it in the trunk, I have more room for souvenirs!!!!

*if anyone could describe the strollers in the parks, that would be great..I'm just wondering if it has a compartment to ut my backpack or if I'll have to lug that around the whole time

*how many floors is the Pop Century? Is it inside hallways or outside?

The in park strollers are great - sort of. As with all things in life, there are pluses and deltas.

In park strollers are either singles or doubles. I have rented both. They are more like a push cart than a stroller. Is like a plastic bottom with a fabric "roof" that can fold back. They have a mesh bag on them to hold stuff, and you can also put stuff on the roof - it will hold quite a lot. (like a back pack). They are very well constructed and very easy to push and steer. My kids loved them. I had them in a double when they were 1 and 4. Then later just my youngest in a single. Now both kids walk - thats the good news.

The cons. You will need to wait on line for them once you get into the park. That means if you are there at rope drop, instead of heading to that first attarction to beat any lines, you get to wait for a stroller. If you get to the park too late, they may be out of strollers. You do pay once and then can use multiple strollers in different parks on the same day, you just show them your recepit. However, the same thing applies, you may get to the second park and all the strollers have been rented. At closing, when everyone is getting on line for the busses, you get to wait on line to return your stroller. You could just abandon it and loose your dollar deposit - it may be more now, but it was a dollar when I was last using them about 3 years ago. You also get your dollar back in Disney dollars. (hey, I paid in US funds, I want US funds back!). The strollers all look exactly alike. They do write your name on a big tag on the back of them, but they still all are identical. Sometimes when you are on a ride, the CM's move them around - not as a joke - to make more room. It can be a task trying to find yours when that happens. If you rent a stroller you are still carrying your kids on the somtimes long walk to the bus. The strollers are big, much bigger than an umbrella stroller, and can be a chore to get through crowds. Some people do smack ankles with them, which is not nice.

I have done both, umbrella and rental. and for me, it boils down to this.

For 1 kid I would bring an umbrella stroller. For two kids in strollers, I would rent a double.

Oh, I am 6' 4" and I can feel your husbands pain, really. Look in some baby supply stores or on-line. They make handle extenders that clamp onto the handles of umbrella strollers and make them about a foot longer. They are a life (or at least a back) saver.

-dave

Most of the pros/cons on the strollers have been noted, but I did want to add another... If you have your own stroller and your daughter is zonked out, you'll be able to put her in the stroller when you get off the bus/monorail/boat at your resort or wherever else you go. If you rent, you won't have that option.

We always bring the umbrella stroller.

Transportation- We do not rent any vehicle and rely on the Disney transportation. It can be a zoo at peak times, like at park closings. That's why we either leave a little earlier, or linger awhile in the parks until the crowds diminish. Much more relaxing that way.

Other than the peak time zoo, the only real weakness in the system is that there is no direct transportation between resorts, except for the Monorail resorts. You'll have to take transporation to a park, DTD or the TTC, then take another mode to the resort you wish to visit. It is much faster to drive or take a cab. But if you aren't in a hurry, it does work.

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

All of the advice above is good. We spend 14 days at AKL in Nov/Dec last year with a 18mth old and a 3.5 yr old. I recommend buying a cheap umbrella buggy as the resorts are huge too.

Also, if the waits get you down and you want to hop resorts - mini van cabs have car seats.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• Solar Flare Foamer

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States

*we have a four year old, who hates to walk for long periods of time, so a stroller is needed. We could take ours which is very big and bulky...and would be such a hassle getting on and off buses, trams, monorails, etc. So, we thought about renting one.....I saw on the website that you can pay one time for all the days you will need a stroller,and then just show your receipt and pick it up at each park...for all our days, we could actually just buy another stroller...one better suited for our needs, but, dragging it around is STILL a problem...what do yall suggest? How are the strollers at the parks? Can you rent one in the morning, bring it back in the afternoon and pick another one up that night? Or do you have to pay again? Can you describe them to me...do they have a compartment to store things?
    Our first trip with a child, we HAD to bring our stroller for a couple of reasons. Our child cannot sit up on her own, so the sling-like strollers of World wouldn't do as they have no back support. And her cooler and diaper bag fit much more unobtrusively in ours then in Disney's.

If your not taking a vehicle from the hotel to the parks then the stroller will be somewhat harder to manage depending on transportation used. Buses are cramped, even when empty so you'll definitely have to stand or stand it beside you in the aisles. This is by far the most difficult way to transport a stroller and I'd avoid it if all possible. It's somewhat less obtrusive in the monorails, as there is more room there and even somewhat easier to finagle in the trams. But it's definitely still an effort. One I was fine with, mind you, but an effort that sapped some of my energy nonetheless.

If your just doing an old umbrella stroller then your likely to going not have the troubles we had. But anything larger will cost your some setup time and energy. (Also, factor in how much stuff you generally carry for the baby and how much you think you'd end up buying in the parks. Your stroller is your carry all. The smaller it is, the less likely it's going to carry anything other then the baby.)
    Not too shabby. They generally run every thirty minutes at maximum. 15 at minimum. Of course, there's still the issue of the stroller.

Also keep in mind that the Magic Hours run only on certain days, at certain parks. I can't remember if the online information specified this or not, so you may already know this. But just in case, be sure to schedule your park visits around the days they have Magic Hours.

I was under the impression that park passes had no expiration date. At least at one time that were true.

Contrary to a couple of opinions here, I prefer renting a vehicle like an SUV, particularly if you have small children. The time and effort it takes to unpack, fold, unfold and repack a stroller twice a day (or more depending) may seem small, but it takes it's toll after some repetition. When your on your way back to the hotel, your going to want to be able just jump in your vehicle and not have to carry a stroller, baby accessories, souvenirs and, well, a sleeping baby, between the two of you on a monorail or bus.

Just to address some of what other people have said about strollers. A lot depends on your personal "park packing style"

Me, I am like one of those ultralight backpackers (which is odd, because when I hike I am the oppsite). I carry the bare minimum. At this point, when I go with my kids we carry nothing but a small camera and an autograph book that fits in a pocket. When they were younger we did carry more, but not one of those giant carry alls. Just some diapers, wipes, a few snacks/drinks, and depending on weather, an additional layer. It all fit easily in a small pack, which enabled us to use an umbrella stroller. Things you buy in the park can be sent back to your room.

-dave

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Things you buy in the park can be sent back to your room.
    Excellent point and it does relate to the stroller question since it can help lighten your load. One minor note though... the packages are delivered to your resort's gift shop, not your room (that changed about 5 years ago). Still a very helpful service, and it makes dealing with things at the end of the day a LOT easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Raidermatt View Post
    Excellent point and it does relate to the stroller question since it can help lighten your load. One minor note though... the packages are delivered to your resort's gift shop, not your room (that changed about 5 years ago). Still a very helpful service, and it makes dealing with things at the end of the day a LOT easier.

Yes, you are correct. And I always have problems with that because I tend to get back to the resort after the gift shop has closed.

-dave

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast