• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Smile Soarin' move to Imagination pavilion?

I noticed http://www.wdwmagic.com/aerialphotos.htm in this photo that Soarin' seems to be built half-way between the LAND and IMAGINATION pavilions at EPCOT.

Could Disney do a whole new fantasy themed flythrough and change the entrance so it comes off the Journey into the Imagination instead of The Land?

Just an idea. Condor Flats and the aerospace idea are being ditched at DCA, maybe the next version of this ride (same technology, new show) will take it a little further than 'oooh orange groves, oooh the Golden Gate bridge' and maybe something more "Disney" could be made for Soarin 2.0

• Jambo!

Re: Soarin' move to Imagination pavilion?

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    I noticed http://www.wdwmagic.com/aerialphotos.htm in this photo that Soarin' seems to be built half-way between the LAND and IMAGINATION pavilions at EPCOT.

Could Disney do a whole new fantasy themed flythrough and change the entrance so it comes off the Journey into the Imagination instead of The Land?

Just an idea. Condor Flats and the aerospace idea are being ditched at DCA, maybe the next version of this ride (same technology, new show) will take it a little further than 'oooh orange groves, oooh the Golden Gate bridge' and maybe something more "Disney" could be made for Soarin 2.0
    I hear the new Soarin' will be over the world rather than just California which fits Epcot's overall theme. Also if you take away Soarin' from The Land, then you leave it open without a E-Ticket attraction. I would prefer to see them to put a new movie in Imagination and fix Figment, then to move Soarin's "location".

• World Traveler

I like the Soarin' over the world idea.

• Vehicle rotating backward

The Land needs Soarin more than Imagination does.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

You could almost build out an entirely new entrance for a pavilion dedicated to "The Sky", featuring the Soarin' Building and a new lobby/exhibet area. (Hey if they built an entry/exit for IJA in 15 feet of space at DL's Adventureland, they could do that in EPCOT.)

• Vehicle rotating backward

But the land is about the whole planet and it's atmosphere, which includes the sky. Anything higher than that is outer space, which is what M:S is for.

• Why can't you tune a fish

I was flipping through the channels last night and I happend to catch the speeder bike scene in Star Wars - Return of the Jedi and then it hit me

Make it a ride based on the Soarin' mechanism and stick in MGM. You make it fly faster, and then have all sorts of cool smells, like laser fire (not quite sure what a blaster smells like, but ...) and exploding speeder bikes. Maybe even change the seats so you sit astride them instead of in them.

-dave

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    I was flipping through the channels last night and I happend to catch the speeder bike scene in Star Wars - Return of the Jedi and then it hit me

Make it a ride based on the Soarin' mechanism and stick in MGM. You make it fly faster, and then have all sorts of cool smells, like laser fire (not quite sure what a blaster smells like, but ...) and exploding speeder bikes. Maybe even change the seats so you sit astride them instead of in them.

-dave
    Put that in conjunction with Star Tours and I'd ride it!

• May the F=ma be with you

I do not think that this would happen due to the reasons as mentioned above. The Land Pavillion is all about the treatment of the Earth and Soarin' fits perfectly there.

Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• This space for rent

-dave
    I love the speeder bike idea, don't know how well getting on/off the bikes would go over with the elderly, inseam challenged, and also how to be restrained for safety purposes, but still a cool idea.

I finally took a ride on Soarin the other day. I loved the size of the queue, it made me feel like I did as a kid when going on if you had Wings at MK,in that even though I was at WDW it felt like I was in an airport. I can't see them getting rid of that beautiful and relatively new queue just to attach it to Imagination.

Even though it was my first time on Soarin, I was kind of disappointed in the quality of the film itself. There were huge lines running from the top to the bottom of the screen in more than a few places, it made me think of the horrible look of the film over at USF's Back to the Future the Ride, which atleast has age for an excuse for it's rough look. So needless to say I'm all for a new Soarin film and a more durable medium to show it with.
    Last edited by upov; 02-11-2007 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Capped a letter

I had an idea for this a while back, I'm not sure if the link still works but here...

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24455
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Post Re: Soarin' move to Imagination pavilion?

Originally posted by DoppelV
    on 4-19-06

A Little Armchair Imagineering...
    Ok guys, I thought I'd throw out a concept I've been toying with for a while.

Basically it adds one and a half new attractions to Epcot.

First, Soarin' would be rethemed and "moved". Instead of being accessed through the Land pavilion it would be accessed through the Imagination! pavilion (which would be renamed to the Imagination Institute). The area commonly known as "the most unknown bathrooms at Epcot" would house the lion's share of the new queue. The ride would be renamed Soarin' to Imagination!

The premise is this:
    The Imagination Institute is hosting the grand opening of their newest lab, the Multi-Sensory Flight Lab. Guests would proceed first through the new extension of the Institute, this new section would be a display and promotion zone for the new concept art of the new glider. The guests would proceed through the new building which would connect to part of the current Soarin' queue. The theming would have to be slightly modified, but for the most part would stay the same. From there the ride would be just about the same from a technical standpoint.

The official story is that the Imagination Glider flys on a wave of inspiration across the boundless realms of the Imagination. This would involve a new film that would be produced in 3-D. The guests would be given flight goggles for "safety". The new route of the ride would take guests all over the world. I have yet to determine all of the scenes, but there are a few that I am sure of.

The Grand Canyon
    The Scottish Coast - Complete with 3-D Dragons (there would be a gust of hot air when the dragon breathes fire)
    The Serengeti - Chasing lions on the plains
    The Plains of America - Complete with Tornados and Lightning
    In Orbit of Earth

eventually it would end up on Mars! At that point, the glider seems to be out of control, who better to save the day...than Dreamfinder and Figment on DF's Dream Machine. They create a cyclone of dreams that brings the glider right back to the institute.

Feel free to make suggestions to the locations! They can be (preferably) imaginary places or places with imaginary characters!

The entire attraction would be hosted by Nigel Channing (Eric Idle) along with his new assistant Dr. (as yet unnamed) played by John Cleese

Along with an upgraded Journey Into Imagination with Figment (needs a new name, any suggestions?) and an all new attraction in the Magic Eye theater (which I also haven't determined yet), the new Imagination Institute will be one of the most popular spots at Epcot.

The second attraction which will be completely new, although the concept will be cloned, is Journey to the Center of the Earth. The entrance to the queue will be across from where the current entrance to Soarin' is. The queue will exit through the northern part of the building to the new show building behind the Living Seas.

The modified theme is this...
    Guests will be explorers recruited by the Disney Institute of Geology or D.I.G. The queue will be about the same as it is for Soarin' showing the different climates of the Earth. The queue will then look much like the TDS version only it won't be Verneian in nature. Instead it will be a future technological elevator aka litholift. When they reach the subterrainean level of the institute they board the D.I.G. Rover to embark upon a journey unlike the world has ever seen. They transferse the deepest depths of the Earth, where they eventually encounter the Lava Beast, just like at TDS. Note: Disney must make it clear that the attraction is fantasy. The final part of the attraction will move through the greenhouses near the boat ride, to create interest in the attraction. The rovers will be next generation Test Track vehicles.

After disembarkation, guests will proceed to the D.I.G. Visitor Center, where they can see examples of real-life geology studies, as well as purchase JTCOTE merchandise.

This will create one and a half new attractions at Epcot that could really bring a lot of attention to the western part of the Park.

Overall, I just think that the boat ride can cover whats on the land, I would like to see whats under the land, even if its fantasy. Maybe they could even make it science-factual, who knows?

In the place of the current Soarin' queue, they could put a new version of Food Rocks! back, or something new completely.

Soarin' could be so much more fun, especially if it was in 3-D, the addition of the Imagination aspect could allow them to do so much more.

So what do you all think?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Soarin' move to Imagination pavilion?

/\

I think it's amazing that you already had this idea almost a year ago...

I haven't been to EPCOT in several years, but I just saw the GoogleEarth photograph of these pavilions yesterday. That's when it occured to me that they could have a lot more flexibility with the theme if it were accessed through Imagination.

But you really had an original idea, I like it when people "dream out" ideas. I hate it when others throw tomatoes because it doesn't appeal to them or it is not exactly how they might have done it 20/20 after hearing your idea.

So even though that other thread is closed, I think it's worth quoting your idea and continuing discussion on this thread.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Soarin' move to Imagination pavilion?

Quote Originally Posted by Baghira View Post
    I love the speeder bike idea, don't know how well getting on/off the bikes would go over with the elderly, inseam challenged, and also how to be restrained for safety purposes, but still a cool idea.
    I love the idea too, I think the Star Tours 1.0 simulators have to go, and a new Star Tours 2.0 featuring Soarin' technology with perhaps speeder bikes and one vehicle in the middle that's being protected by the speeder bikes, that's fully wheelchair accessible and such.