Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

didn't Space Mountain begin as the idea of cloning the Matterhorn over into Disneyworld but they were afraid the humidity would damage the tracks?

either way the tracks are a bit different and of course the themeing is entirly different so I don't think it matters too much

I suppose as far as how much they feel the same it's all up to personal opinion but I would assume that rides would feel similar enough but not really exactly the same

• Social Imagineer

Ah, but that's just it. The rides don't feel anything alike.

Blindfolded and earplugged, I could easily tell you if I was riding the Matterhorn or WDW's Space Mountain.

• Disney Prince

Isn't the Matterhorn a bobsled ride? how on earth could it be the exact same track as Space Mountain?

• e komo mai

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee
    Now if we want a rip-roaring discussion about copied track layouts, let's talk Countdown to Extinction and Indy. To this day I need convincing that they have the same layout.
    I think they do. But it could be the same as the Matterhorn/WDW Space Mtn, same vehicles, same loading area, same ending (I mean right down to the rolling asteroid they used to have that was an exact copy of the rolling rock in Indy and then you go under it) and then everything else is different...
    I don't know. Someone on these boards must have the layouts of both on their version of Roller Coaster Tycoon or even blueprints...
    :confused:

• e komo mai

Kevin,
    To be sure, I think iSm and I should be shipped to WDW right away to find out the truth about this. I'll PM you our real names so you can buy our tickets.

I kid.

• Dread Pirate Roberts #137

Having ridden both Indy and Dinosaur, for the life of me I couldn't tell you if they were the same track layout (and I've been trying to pay attention). I think it stems from the sense of place for each attraction. For Indy, there's the Cavern of Bubbling Death, which you basically weave in and out of for half the ride. But in Dinosaur, not only do you have a limited depth to the atmosphere, but you're in complete darkness 30% of the time. And if somebody like me can't tell that it's the same track layout, then it really doesn't matter whether or not it is, because nobody would be able to tell.

As for SM/Matterhorn, I'd say that SM was more of a Wild Mouse (or Wildcat) than a "bobsled" because of its long drops. And I don't even know if the Matterhorn can even be "bobsled" (as crazy as that sounds) if you compare it to something like Avalanche at PKD. To me it seems more of a scenic railway. But that's just my opinion.
    Trivia: On April Fool's Day 2004, Disneyland guests found -- at the insistence of the board of directors -- the gigantic dragon featured in Fantasmic replaced with a gigantic Roy Disney (leading to a reprimand to the cast member playing Mickey Mouse when he hugged the giant instead of fighting it)

• Miranda Lambert and Me!

I found some diagrams, but I couldn't find one for WDW's Space Mountain. The one posted is DL's, but I thought I would post it anyway!!!!!

Listen to me on the radio!

us101country.com Fridays- 9p-12m ET and Saturdays- 7p-10p ET

981thelegend.com Monday-Friday - 12m-6a ET

rock105.net Sundays - 10p-12m ET

You can also visit my DJ blog HERE!
    Also, I have a Myspace- CLICK HERE

• I was deleted.

Miniature

I love the Matterhorn! It is Walt's largest miniature since it is 1/8 the size of the real mountain.

• Quality Assured

Thanks Kevin, I did say similar in my post, the tracks (SM @ WDW and the Matterhorn) have similar tight, twisty, turns for a layout. They dont' have the same layout. SM at WDW was the alternative for a cloned Matterhorn, SM @ WDW was designed to give guests the same feeling as the Matterhorn did to Disneyland guests. That was back before cloning was very persistent...

Kevin,

The second time I rode Count Down to Extinction I Knew the track layout was identical to Indy. Although you don't have the bridge like Indy the turns are all the same even the dip down after you the snake attacks is in the Dinosaur ride. Count Down to Extinction is such a dark ride I think that helps hide the fact that it is an Indy over lay.

As for the Matterhorn, Epcot needs a Swiss pavillion right between Germany and Italy with the Matterhorn ride. If Disney would get Nestle to sponser the ride and pavillion it would be built. The alps would be a great back drop to this section of the park. They could build a Chalet to house a resteraunt and the que for the ride.

EPCOT still needs a back drop to hide the Swan and Dolphin. That will have to be another thread.

• Dread Pirate Roberts #137

Quote Originally Posted by Fire at Will
    As for the Matterhorn, Epcot needs a Swiss pavillion right between Germany and Italy with the Matterhorn ride. If Disney would get Nestle to sponser the ride and pavillion it would be built. The alps would be a great back drop to this section of the park. They could build a Chalet to house a resteraunt and the que for the ride.
    Unfortunately, Expedition Everest is the evolution of the Switzerland Pavilion Matterhorn concept, so I doubt that they would build another Matterhorn ride when one has already been built at the same resort.
    Trivia: On April Fool's Day 2004, Disneyland guests found -- at the insistence of the board of directors -- the gigantic dragon featured in Fantasmic replaced with a gigantic Roy Disney (leading to a reprimand to the cast member playing Mickey Mouse when he hugged the giant instead of fighting it)

• Classic Animation

Quote Originally Posted by innerSpaceman
    I believe there was once going to be a Mount Fuji attraction for the Japan pavilion at World Showcase. That might have been a bit like the Matterhorn.
    There were also plans for a Swiss pavillion in Epcot which included a Matterhorn ride.

• Banned User

The matterhorn concept has been floating for years around WDW....

initially it was solved by building Spac MT with it's two tracks it gave a unique take on the matterhorn by being in "mostly" dark building... with a space theme..

However after epcot opened they thought about bringing the conept there... no swiss company would sponsor for the ride/pavilion for their country... then they went to japan for a "Mt. Fugi" ride.. thought Mt. Fugi is sacred & Kodac found out that fugi wanted to sponsor it.. and that was against kidac's contract.. so that was shot down....

eventually the Beastly Kingdom concept for animal Kingdom had a version of the ride... but that got shot down as well... however the ride floated unitll it went back to it's roots.. and became Mt. Everest.... got it?? (i think i do..)

• Disney Prince

In other words, There already is a Matterhorn in WDW, except it's Everest now and it will be better.

• Banned User

In other words... their will be 2... one is a distant relative.. and one is a hyper sister who is crazy....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast