Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee
    I don't know...

Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but I read the first post to say the layout is SIMILAR (which it is).

InnerSpaceman is saying that layout is NOT IDENTICAL (he's right about that too).

Both are correct. The layout really IS similar. Left and right turns. Tight turns, too. It feels like a Matterhorn in the dark.

But yes, the layout isn't copied. I'm not sure the first poster was even implying the layout was copied.

Now if we want a rip-roaring discussion about copied track layouts, let's talk Countdown to Extinction and Indy. To this day I need convincing that they have the same layout.
    and who made Giminy Cricket hall monitor?

Space Mountain was actually originally conceived for Disneyland long before Disney World was ever built. The Disney World version, however was bult before Disneyland's. As for similarities between SM and Matterhorn, there aren't any other than it being a roller coaster. Space Mountain does have two tracks, Alpha and Omega, one of the tracks is more turn intensive the other more drop intensive.

The Space Mountain idea was conceived by Walt Disney himself in the early 1960's shortly after the Matterhorn opened. The problem at the time was where in Disneyland's Tomorrowland to put it. Keep in mind that the WDW version is much larger in size than that of Disneyland and therefore had to be re-imagineered on a smaller scale. With the designing of the larger Florida Magic Kingdom, the decision was made to include the Space Mountain attraction, however construction of most of Tomorrowland was delayed a few years. Also keep in mind that with the decision to go on the Florida project any imagineering work on Space Mountain was for the Florida project, once that was completed work comenced on the Disneyland version again, at a smaller scale and one that would fit in the then newly redesigned Disneyland Tomorrowland. When WDW opened part or the People Mover track was already in place and the majority of Tomorrowland was still being built. It was almost 3 full years after WDW's opening that Tomorrowland was completely opened.

To say that the WDW Space Mountain is a clone of the Matterhorn but with a Space theme is grossly inaccurate. The humidity in Florida had nothing to do with the decision not to build the Matterhorn at WDW. If that was the case, then Big Thunder or even Expedition Everest would not have been built. The Magic Kingdom at WDW is not an exact clone of Disneyland and therefore every Disneyland attraction would not be built there. As we are seeing today with the construction of Honk Kong Disneyland, not every attraction is being built there either.

If a Switzerland pavillion is ever built at Epcot, then yes I believe the Matterhorn will be a part of it. I still have hope that the Mount Fuji attraction may be added to Japan at Epcot. Maybe it could hold a Journey to the Center of the Earth type clone that Japan's Tokyo Disney Sea has.

As Indy95 stated:
    so I doubt that they would build another Matterhorn ride when one has already been built at the same resort.

Why not? Take a look at Dumbo, Astro Orbiter, Aladdin's Magic Carpets and Triceratop ride at AK? Are they not the same basic ride? 3 of those rides are in the SAME park.

• They wanna know, HO!

Quote Originally Posted by ti2gr
    As Indy95 stated:
    so I doubt that they would build another Matterhorn ride when one has already been built at the same resort.

Why not? Take a look at Dumbo, Astro Orbiter, Aladdin's Magic Carpets and Triceratop ride at AK? Are they not the same basic ride? 3 of those rides are in the SAME park.
    But they arn't themed the same!
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

• Santa Barbara, CA

I love that illustration that was posted of both rides. Really shows you how different they are. SM is all right hand turns, Matterhorn is very different and more random in a way. So scientific. Done from memory I suppose. Great stuff! Next time let's see the block zones!!!

I say we redo matterhorn with REAL snow machines inside..THAT would be a Wow and would make it special.. Can you imagine guests coming out covered in snow?? Awesome!!!!! i'd show for that in the Florida heat. On cold nights you could turn it off.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by ti2gr
    As Indy95 stated:

And don't forget the canoes, the keel boats, and the Liberty Belle. Same thing: 3 boat rides around Tom Sawyer Island. Ride one, don't really need to ride the others since you'll see the same stuff the second time around. Only difference being the size of the boat and some of the narration.

Of course, we don't have that problem anymore since there's only one boat ride around now.

Especially in today's parks, clones don't really matter. Even in Disneyland. 2 teacup rides, 2 or 3 Dumbo types...

And then there's Star Tours and Body Wars (which pretty much admits how much of a clone it is in its name).

The only problem is, if you can't give a very different experience on the "clones" (such as the ability to row instead of just ride a keel boat or to have added entertainment on the Liberty Belle instead of just riding a keel boat; different story lines and movies on two similar attractions), then it really shouldn't be done. That's why I don't much like the Dumbo clones that have been made lately: the only major difference is location.
    -Tim

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville
    I say we redo matterhorn with REAL snow machines inside..THAT would be a Wow and would make it special.. Can you imagine guests coming out covered in snow?? Awesome!!!!! i'd show for that in the Florida heat. On cold nights you could turn it off.
    Welcome to Expedition: EVEREST. Seriously, it WILL have real snow inside.

Oh, about the Matterhorn in WDW, they were trying to get it put in for soooo long. At one point it was even on the drawing board for the Disney-MGM Studios. Yet this version would have been built like a movie set... with only half of the mountain built. Interesting idea, but I'm glad we're getting Everest.

Having said that, I'd love to have the Matterhorn in WDW's Fantasyland. Along with the Storybook Land Canal Boats, the Casey Jr. Circus Train, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, and Pinocchio's Daring Journey. And bring back Mr. Toad!

Bah, I'm asking for too much. Heh heh.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by innerSpaceman
    I believe there was once going to be a Mount Fuji attraction for the Japan pavilion at World Showcase. That might have been a bit like the Matterhorn.
    At one time, there was going to be a Switzerland pavillian with the Mattahorn. They were promoting it on either our 1990 or 1992 trip, but for some reason it and the planned Russian pavillian never materialized. that would have been so cool. Now I hear rumors that they're going to build a flume type mountain ride in Canada. Can't wait!

• Disney Prince

actually, Matterhorn and Everest CAN co-exist in the same resort, the themeing is STILL somewhat different and not to mention different kinds of rides.

more Matterhorn at WDW history:

Matterhorn WAS going to be built in the Magic Kingdom, they've already set up the foundation for it behind "Small World" and using the Swiss themed buildings already in place, the Matterhorn would have had it as its entrance.

The Matterhorn and Mt. Fuji were also planned to be part of Epcot's World Showcase together. The Matterhorn was to be the main attraction of the Switzerland Pavillion while Mt. Fuji (a bullet train ride) was to be in the Japan Pavillion but budget and sponsorial issues stopped it from ever happening as did the Russian and African Pavillion.

other mountain could have beens and might becomes:
    The Magic Kingdom still has 2 mountains waiting in the wings to rise up. Bald Mountain, a villain themed flume ride was supposed to take over the old 20,000 leagues under the sea area after it closed. Rumour has it that 2 different mountains were imagineered to take over the old 20k site and it was the Bald Mountain or otherwise known as the Villain Mountain (which presented the perfect theme for the land) which was chosen to replace the late lamented 20k.

The other mountain, which was to be a morphing roller coaster themed to then in production Atlantis the Lost Empire was so well done that it too was given a chance to be created in the Magic Kingdom, this time in Adventureland, behind Pirates of the Carribbean. The ride was called Fire Mountain (rumour has it that this mountain evolved from what was supposed to be Mt. Fuji for Epcot). the Imagineers even went so far as to set up balloons to see how tall it would be and how visible it would be to the surrounding area (it was a perfect match for the Polynesian Resort).

So why did these rides didn't get built? Fire Mountain (along with Test Track, Fantasmic and the Beastlie Kingdomme) was supposed to be part of the big attraction additions to WDW when they were bracing themselves for the opening of Islands of Adventure but since the park ended up not hurting the attendance numbers of WDW, Fire Mountain was put in the back burner as is Bald Mountain.

there has ben new speculation however, that a whole new bunch of E-tickets are coming to MK, one in Fantasyland behind the new Pooh Meet and Greet area (otherwise known as the old 20k site) and one in Adventureland....hmmm....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123