• golly gawrrsh

Top pick for dining at each park

Not sure if you guys have done this before but we've started going through the menu's to plan our next trip and wanted to try new restaurants this time.

Patrick loves spices and food in general (he's a chef)
    I'm more plain in taste. I'd choose honey garlic over mild, med or hot and chicken over meet or fish.

so we're looking for something that will please both of us and that will give us a great dining experience.

What is your top pick for each park and why. do you have pics of the food you loved?

Thanks.
    șoș Sometimes Patrick, sometimes Karen.
    We'll let you decided who types what șoș

• Volleyball Dad

Re: Top pick for dining at each park

Ok- my WDW trips consist of 7 - 10 days per year ( another 5 at Vero Beach that I have a food recommendation for nearby) -- as we calim we eat our way through WDW.... so I will give my picks - doesn't make me right, ( but does make me 20 pounds overweight)

MK - I like lunch @ Liberty Tree

EPCOT - tougher choices here:
    gotta go with 2 -
    Le Cellier for the Maple Salmon and cheese soup - and the soft pretzel appetizer
    Biergarten for the buffet - which consists of authentic german food yet will be fine for someone who knows not what german food is. I am 75% german and 25% Czech and this is truly food like grandma used to make -
    the Sauerbraten is excellent, sounds crazy but the buttered carrots are wonderful, get the spaetzles ( dumplings) and gravy - and just right red cabbage.
    Also like: Coral Reef (lately) and most of the other restaurants on rotation

MGM/Studios - Brown Derby for the grafefruit cake alone. My wife gets the Cobb Salad every time - I especially like the Orecchiette ( Lunch Menu) which consists of large shrimp and spinach/mushrooms in a white truffle pesto cream sauce - yum. At Dinner time the Citrus 1/2 chicken is excellent.

Honorable mention to the fried chicken @ Prime Time Cafe - very good. They used to have a home made Chicken Pot Pie here that was to die for. The Smores for desert are exactly what you expect but for some reason just taste good there

AK -
    well a little linited here right now and since we have 3 Rainforest Cafe's in Chicago, I do not eat there when on vacation.
    Flame Tree BBQ - above average.
    But that day we usually go to Boma - ( which leads me to the fact that most of the best restaurants outside and including EPCOT are in the resorts.

Boma - don;t let the African Cuisine thing scare anyone away - there is nothing there you won't recognize - the highlight for me is the counter with 5 different soups/stews - they change by day.. and all are amazing taste treats.

Other favorite places to eat:

Cali Grill - simply one of my favorite places to eat anywhere in the world - and I've eaten all over.
    - My wife tells me the sushi the last 2 years has been amazing ( not a fan) - but I opt for the signature dish - a tamarind marinated beef filet - truly melt in your mouth good. Even if not on the menu that day they will make it for you.

Blue Zoo -( Dolphin) big fan of Todd English's restaurants- the sea scallop appetizer and the Miso glazed Sea Bass are my favorites. Also it is actually a seafood restaurant at WDW where you can get Lobster- imagine that

The Conch Chowder @ Olivia's ( Old Key West ) is great and this used to be one of my favorite restaurants until they shrunk the menu some

The best character breakfast ( sans the fun at Chef Mickey) is at 1900 Park Faire ( Grand Floridian) - just for the cold strawberry soup alone

just some starters, I hope some would be new to you
    " Disney Parks- far from perfect- but still a great shelter from the storm "

• Volleyball Dad

oops forgot to say why Liberty Tree lunch - first sans characters - second the pot roast is very homemade tasting and I am not a salad eater by love their Colony Salda which has : Washington apples, sweet pecans and applewood smoked cheddar and grilled chicken tossed with field greens in honey shallot vinaigrette
    " Disney Parks- far from perfect- but still a great shelter from the storm "

• Jambo!

Let's see here...

Magic Kingdom

Table Service - I really like the Liberty Tree Tavern over most other things around here.

Counter Service - Cosmic Ray's is probably the best you will get when it comes to counter service, you have three different sections to choose from, not to mention the musical (not so) greatness of Sonny Eclipse and right outside is the Enchanted Grove where they have the lost cousin of Dole Whip, the Strawberry Swirl.

Epcot

Table Service - For some reason I've always been a fan of the San Angel Inn, it has a very similar atmosphere to the Blue Bayou what with the boats passing by but with a mexican flare and the food isn't half bad.

Counter Service - I'll have to go with the Electric Umbrella on this one. Decent food with a reasonable amount of choices, located almost smack dab in the middle of Innoventions.

Disney-MGM Studios

Table Service - It's a tie between the 50's Primetime Cafe and the Brown Derby, both are very different experiences with completely different atmospheres, but both are very good.

Counter Service - ABC Comissary is much like any other counter service place, but just seems to slighty edge out the others with quality.

Animal Kingdom

Table Service - Not much to choose from in this department. It's basically Rainforest Cafe and thats something most major cities have now.

Counter Service - Flame Tree BBQ hands down... Also the Tusker House is usually pretty good as well.

• May the F=ma be with you

Mk- The Plaza for some great American food.

EPCOT- Garden Grill has some great food.

Studios- The Backlot Express is very good. Try the Lamb and Eggplant Wrap.

AK- As Geek mentioned above, I would certailnly go with the FLame Tree Barbeque. Please send me a Pulled Pork Sandwich if you go there.
    If barbequed ribs and pork does not appeal to you, try the Rainforest Cafe.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

I have all my table serve meals set but I was wondering about counter serve any advise on ones to stay away from???

This one time on Friends . . .

• golly gawrrsh

Ahhh yes - the pulled pork - i LOVE it and always get it for lunch either at Flame Tree or Peko's in MK
    șoș Sometimes Patrick, sometimes Karen.
    We'll let you decided who types what șoș

• Characters are my friends

Let me see. Mine are:
    MGM- Play and Dine
    Epcot- Garden Grill
    AK- never eaten there
    MK- Cross between CP and LTT (though I am starting to lean towards LTT)
    Resort- Chef Mickeys
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 98- Port OrleansMarch 03- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 03- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 05- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 06- AS Sports (Solo Trip)May 24, 06 to Jan 5, 07- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 07- offsite (solo trip)March 1-3, 2007- Dad + Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 07- CP (CS)Aug 10-12, 07- GF/P&PMay 21-Aug 15, 08- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 08- AKLMarch 25-29, 09 (off-site)Aug 10, 09-Jan 2, 10- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (East)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL DreamJan 20-24, 2014: DCL MagicFeb 17/18, 2015 AS Music

Jan 12- Aug 5, 2005- Fantasyland Merchandise
    May 24, 2006 to Jan 5, 2007- Character Attendant
    May 16- Aug 10, 2007- Epcot WS Custodial/Seasonal CA
    May 21- July 5, 2008: Casey's (QSFB); July 6-Aug 15, 2008: character attendant
    Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: Toy Story Mania
    Jan 3-May 14, 2010: Great Movie Ride
    May 16, 2010~ Fulltime

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandPlanner View Post
    I have all my table serve meals set but I was wondering about counter serve any advise on ones to stay away from???

To stay away from?

The noodle place in MK Tomorrowland. Oh lord, stay away, stay far far away. I tried for a number of times to eat there, but it was allways closed. Finally one trip when I was in MK, it was open. I wish it wasn't - bleah. The only thing that provided any sort of taste was packet upon packet of hot sauce.

-dave

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by cooknthyme View Post
    Not sure if you guys have done this before but we've started going through the menu's to plan our next trip and wanted to try new restaurants this time.

Patrick loves spices and food in general (he's a chef)
    I'm more plain in taste. I'd choose honey garlic over mild, med or hot and chicken over meet or fish.

so we're looking for something that will please both of us and that will give us a great dining experience.

What is your top pick for each park and why. do you have pics of the food you loved?

Thanks.
    I like sit down eateries. Thats not to say I will not eat at counter service, but sitting down is what makes it a meal to me.

MK - Liberty Square Tavern - good solid food, the stuff in Tony's is run of the mill red sauce drenched Italian food that I can get in any of a dozen storefront restaruants within a mile of my house.

EPCOT - Oh the choices. they are really all good. Anything in the World Showcase.

MGM - The Brown Derby - good food and a nice atmosphere. On the other side of the scale is the 50' prime time diner. Food is OK, but nothing that I would really leave home for, but then thats the point, its home style food. The entertainment value can be excellent or poor in my experence. It depends on both the wait person and the other diners in the room you are in.

AK - The only sit-down in Rainforest Cafe. Chain food. Go to Flame Tree instead and get counter service.

If you can swing it, I loved Victoria & Alberts at the Grand Floridian. I think it was worth the money to me. It may be to Patrick - as he is a chef but maybe not for you. No offense intended here, but if you would think truffles, goose liver, winterpoint oysters, sweetbreads, and veal cheeks (not all in the same preparation) are "nasty" then its not the place for you. But if thats stuff you want to try, then its a winner.

-dave

• Disney Dreams

Well, I like many restaurants in WDW. But these would be my favs:

Reservations: ( if marked with N/A, I've never eaten at one there )

MK- Crystal Palace.
    It has a wonderful variety of foods to choose from, with the added bonus of it being a character dining experience! When I went, the characters were Pooh, Tigger, Piglet, and Eeyore - it was a fun time.
    Epcot - N/A
    MGM - Sci-fi Dine In.
    It's just like a real drive-in experience, complete with cars as tables! There's a huge movie screen that replays oldtime commercials. It offers most things from burgers to salads that you could normally get in a drive in! It's great
    AK - N/A

NON-Reservations:

MK- Columbia Harbour House ( Great variety )/ Pinocchio's Village Haus ( Has a wonderful view of "It's a Small World" from some tables on the side. Great variety as well
    E- The Four Seasons - its a wonderful place inside The Land, with so many healthy choices of food, you can't go wrong! It's great.
    MGM - Catalina's - It's a great outside sitting place with an awesome view of the Twilight Zone Tower Of Terror from most seats - great food.
    AK - Restaurantosaurus - Awesome food, great location right near Dinosaur - fun place to be

MK - Crystal Palace
    AK - over at the Lodge... Boma
    MGM - 50's Prime Time Cafe
    Epcot - Le Chefs

• Disappearing/Reappearing

ooo, ya'll are giving me some great ideas.....Flame Tree is #1 on my "must eat" list!!!

I'm going to keep my picks just in the parks since that what you asked, although I'd much rather dine at the resorts.

With that in mind:

MK: Liberty Tree Tavern (lunch ONLY) -- great turkey dinner with fixings, very good sandwiches and salads-- for full serve; Columbia Harbor House -- chicken, fish, sandwhiches, really great veggie chilli --for quick serve;

EPCOT: Le Cellier (lunch or dinner) -- steaks, salmon, chicken, salads --for full serve; Tangerine Cafe -- Moroccan --for quick serve;

Disney-MGM Studios: Brown Derby (lunch or dinner) -- anything -- for full serve; No real quality choice for fast food, but I often find myself at the ABC Commisary as it has a wide selection.

DAK: No full serve. And everything in this park is really good. My faves are Tusker House and Flame Tree BBQ.

MK: Tony's Town Square.
    MGM: Mama Melrose's and 50s Prime Time Cafe
    AK: Tusker House
    EPCOT: Alfredos because of the lasagna. I usually like Le Cellier, but the food was disappointing my last visit. Marrakesh was good, but it's been a while. San Angel has great atmosphere, but the food wasn't that good. The cantina outside had better tasting Mexican food.

This summer, I'll be doing some firsts, including Liberty Tree Tavern and Flame Tree BBQ, and most likely revisiting Marrakesh.