View Poll Results: Do you like the presence of animated characters at EPCOT?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I think it's great!

33 43.42%
  • I like it but I don't want to see too much of it.

30 39.47%
  • No, I don't want EPCOT to be another Disneyland.

9 11.84%
  • I have no preference either way.

4 5.26%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Solar Flare Foamer

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States

Re: Animated Characters at EPCOT World Showcase. Like or Dislike?

Quote Originally Posted by ZeekSlider View Post
    You want Kuzco in Mexico instead? Kim Possible is already country hopping from what I understand with that Team Possible game of theirs.
    That's not quite what I suggested. What I suggested is go with what works. There's an atmosphere that each pavilion exudes and there are characters that gel with that atmosphere. When you pick the right one, your not forced to think of a cartoon character as much as you are reminded of a lore or legend from that country.

• Minion

You want Kuzco in Mexico instead?
    Emperor's New Groove is the Incan Empire, not the Aztec. That would place him in South America. That's just fantastic, thinking that there's only one Ancient Central/Southern American empire that got WTFpwned by the Spanish.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• The Darkness to Light

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    Emperor's New Groove is the Incan Empire, not the Aztec. That would place him in South America.
    And how many average Joe's and Jane's know this besides the ones like you and me that tend to keep trivia information on characters we fance? Not many to be honest.

That's why we have Ponchito and Jose. Not only are they "from" the area, but most of the average guests associate tropical birds like them with the Mexican Jungles of the Yukatan.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    I'm surprised we haven't had a Japanese Disney character, unless you count the anime.

I would give anything to see Totoro at Disney World! Since Disney distributes Ghibli films in the US, it could happen!

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Jedi View Post
    The abrupt appearance of a obtuse cartoon caricature disrupts the illusion. It's much easier to believe I'm in ancient China with Mulan, then it would be to believe I'm in rural Canada with Brother Bear.

Interesting. Its sort of the opposite (sort of) for me. Alice and Pooh seem "in place" in the UK. They are part of the UK culture and history.

Mulan in China and Jasmine in Morocco don't work for me. They are Disney inventions though and though, and allthough they may be based in those countries, they are American inventions and part of America's history.

-dave

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Mulan in China and Jasmine in Morocco don't work for me. They are Disney inventions though and though, and allthough they may be based in those countries, they are American inventions and part of America's history.

-dave

Huh? The story of Mulan goes back centuries in Chinese lore, based on an ancient poem. Disney made some changes to the story like they always do, but it was basically the story of a young girl who goes to war in place of her father.

Click click, and
    click click click,
    By the doorway
    Mulan weaves.

When all at once
    the shuttle cease,
    A sigh is heard with
    solemn grief.

"O my daughter
    who is on your mind?
    O my daughter
    who is in your heart?"

"I have no one on
    my mind,
    I have no one in
    my heart.

But last night I read
    the battle roll,
    A roll consisting of
    twelve scrolls.
    The Khan is drafting
    an army of awe,
    My father's name
    on each beadroll.

Alas Father has no
    grown son,
    Alas Mulan has no
    elder brother.

But I will buy a saddle
    and a horse,
    And join the army
    in place of Father."

In the East Market
    she buys a steed,
    From the West Market
    she buys a saddle.
    In the North Market
    she buys a long whip,
    From the South Market
    she buys a bridle.

At dawn she bids her
    family farewell,
    At dusk she camps by
    the Yellow River.

She no longer hears her
    parents calling,
    Upon her pillow,
    the waters whisper.
    At doawn she departs
    the Yellow River.

.... anyway, you get the picture. The story of Mulan goes back centuries and nobody can tell for sure if it's based on fact or fiction. But it's NOT an American invention by any stretch. Only the film is American made.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Solar Flare Foamer

If I'm not mistaken both Morocco and China sell authentic storybooks recounting the original tales. I know Morocco does. It was interesting to see that in the original story, even though the story involves a Sultan, the story took place in the East, as that would have been an exotic locale for its intended readers. It was given the more Moroccan setting when translated for American audiences.

But, yes, that is why certain characters retain a certain value in World Showcase. The historicity of the character validates its existence as both a themed fit and its contribution to the educational intentions of those pavilions.

• The Darkness to Light

You mean they sell a copy of Arabian Nights with all the shorts stories in Epcot?

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Huh? The story of Mulan goes back centuries in Chinese lore, based on an ancient poem. Disney made some changes to the story like they always do, but it was basically the story of a young girl who goes to war in place of her father.

- snip -

Yes, but the character is all Disney, and I am pretty sure, so is the majority of the story.

The characters of Alice et al and Pooh and Friends are all "classic". If there was an issustrated manuscript of Mulan from the ages past, and the physical apperance of the character was based on that, then I would feel differently.

I am not saying anybody is right or wrong here, its just that seeing Disney characters - even in the "correct" land gives the place a "Disney" feel to me. Alice and Pooh do not do that to me.

Quite honestly, Pooh always makes me think of Sears Roebuck and Company, but then those are my own problems

-dave

You mean they sell a copy of Arabian Nights with all the shorts stories in Epcot?

Now some of those can be real educational.

-dave

• Solar Flare Foamer

At its core, the Mulan story was unchanged. As one educational source I read put it:

"In the poem Mu-lan seems disinterested in women's chores and not ready to be married. She is rather worried about the draft which calls for each family to send a son or brother to serve the army. Quickly Mulan purchases the required equipment: a horse, a saddle, a bridle, and a long whip. She then joins the evening camps and leaves for the long journey. The refrain of the song repeats that, 'She does not hear the sound of Father and Mother calling.' Ten years she is gone on a journey of ten thousand miles. Then she sees the Son of Heaven, the Khan, and when he asks her what she desires as reward for those years of service, she just asks to go home. She is welcome by all her family with the addition of a Little Brother. It does not take long for Mu-lan to get back her true identity; she finds her rooms and her old clothes and resumes her feminine appearance. She attends to her appearance by fixing her hair, by now cloudlike, maybe white after those years of hard work and sacrifice. She also puts powder on her face and then goes out to see her comrades who had shared all those years on the battlefield with her. They are 'amazed and perplexed' to find out that Mu-lan is a woman. The last four lines of the poem quote a reference to a male and a female hare pointing out how it is impossible to tell the sex difference when they are 'running side by side close to the ground.'"
    A pretty accurate synopsis of the movie, as well. Now throw in a jive talking dragon and you've Disneyfied it. But that's also one of the reasons why I say some elements fit and some don't. Mulan is part of Chinese lore, while Mushu isn't. The fact that Mushu was in the movie has a lesser impact on the authenticity of the Chinese Pavilion when you only see Mulan there, an actual icon of Chinese history, and not an obtuse shaped cartoon character.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Jedi View Post
    At its core, the Mulan story was unchanged. As one educational source I read put it:

"In the poem Mu-lan seems disinterested in women's chores and not ready to be married. She is rather worried about the draft which calls for each family to send a son or brother to serve the army. Quickly Mulan purchases the required equipment: a horse, a saddle, a bridle, and a long whip. She then joins the evening camps and leaves for the long journey. The refrain of the song repeats that, 'She does not hear the sound of Father and Mother calling.' Ten years she is gone on a journey of ten thousand miles. Then she sees the Son of Heaven, the Khan, and when he asks her what she desires as reward for those years of service, she just asks to go home. She is welcome by all her family with the addition of a Little Brother. It does not take long for Mu-lan to get back her true identity; she finds her rooms and her old clothes and resumes her feminine appearance. She attends to her appearance by fixing her hair, by now cloudlike, maybe white after those years of hard work and sacrifice. She also puts powder on her face and then goes out to see her comrades who had shared all those years on the battlefield with her. They are 'amazed and perplexed' to find out that Mu-lan is a woman. The last four lines of the poem quote a reference to a male and a female hare pointing out how it is impossible to tell the sex difference when they are 'running side by side close to the ground.'"
    A pretty accurate synopsis of the movie, as well. Now throw in a jive talking dragon and you've Disneyfied it. But that's also one of the reasons why I say some elements fit and some don't. Mulan is part of Chinese lore, while Mushu isn't. The fact that Mushu was in the movie has a lesser impact on the authenticity of the Chinese Pavilion when you only see Mulan there, an actual icon of Chinese history, and not an obtuse shaped cartoon character.
    I know the "Mulan" story,and quite honestly it is changed quite a bit, not the least of which is the addition Mushu. We then have all the other additions, the saving of the Emperors life, the love triangle, and all that other stuff - which combines to make it a very good movie, but hardly a bastion of historical accuracy. But still, that is not the point. The point is this....

Before Dinsney got ahold of them, take a picture (or heck, a face character) of Alice in Wonderland or Winnie the Pooh and any U.K. schoolchild (and most adults) would recognieze them. They are part of the culture and history of the UK. Both the story and the IMAGE are part of the history. Alice in fact has been illustrated in a variety of ways since the inception of the tale, but all have the same similar features. If you were to go to the UK (again, before Alice and Pooh were "Disneyfied") and even mention the stories, people would know what you were talking about.

The story of Mulan (or Mu Lan) was popular in China before Disney got ahold of it. However, the IMAGE of Mulan is 100% a Disney invention. Nobody knows what the original Mu Lan looked like (or if in fact she even existed). The IMAGE of Mulan is a Disney overlay on a traditional tale.

Now there is nothing wrong with this. Disney has every right to make up a character IMAGE where none exits. In fact, they could make their own images were one does exits.

It may be different for you, and thats your perogitive. I am well aware of the story of Mu Lan and how it fits into Chinese history. But when I go to EPCOT UK and see Alice, my brain goes "ah, Alice, part of the history of the UK" when I go to China in EPCOT, my brain goes "Ah, Mulan, a Disney character" Its just the way I am. How you react is not right or wrong, and neither is my way, its just how we perceive things.

-dave

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Yes, but the character is all Disney, and I am pretty sure, so is the majority of the story.

The characters of Alice et al and Pooh and Friends are all "classic". If there was an issustrated manuscript of Mulan from the ages past, and the physical apperance of the character was based on that, then I would feel differently.

-dave
    The story of Mulan at its core did not change. It was certainly embellished, showing Mulan take her father's armor rather than buying it from four different locations (the poem version shows more dedication rather than a spur of the moment and possibly unwise decision).

In the original story, Mulan had an older sister and a little brother. Disney axed the older sister and turned little brother into a dog.

Throw Mulan and Cri-kee and some ghost ancestors and you have the Disney version.

But yes, the LIKENESS of Mulan is created by Disney. And since it's Disney's EPCOT, I think it's fine to have synergy across the parks when appropriate.

As for Pooh.... Disney has done so much oversaturation with that bear and his friends that I can't see it in a pavillion at all. Unless they used the original artwork and just explained the origins. But I wouldn't want to see a Pooh character walking around EPCOT definitely no.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    The story of Mulan at its core did not change. It was certainly embellished, showing Mulan take her father's armor rather than buying it from four different locations (the poem version shows more dedication rather than a spur of the moment and possibly unwise decision).

In the original story, Mulan had an older sister and a little brother. Disney axed the older sister and turned little brother into a dog.

Throw Mulan and Cri-kee and some ghost ancestors and you have the Disney version.

But yes, the LIKENESS of Mulan is created by Disney. And since it's Disney's EPCOT, I think it's fine to have synergy across the parks when appropriate.

As for Pooh.... Disney has done so much oversaturation with that bear and his friends that I can't see it in a pavillion at all. Unless they used the original artwork and just explained the origins. But I wouldn't want to see a Pooh character walking around EPCOT definitely no.
    At its core no, but it had the hell embelleshed out of it. Fighting the hordes, going one on one with the enemy Kahn, the whoel fireworks and rockets and invading the temple rescue scene, the way it was her idea to cause the avalanche, thus saving here entire unit. Thats a little more than the original poem puts forth.

But again, you see my point about it being a created image. When I see it I think "Disney" and it throws off the whole China experence for me. For you, that does not happen. Lucky for you. For me the Pooh characters are just fine in the UK. But then my childhood was oversaturated with Pooh. My father worked for Sear Roebuck and they had the license to use the WTP characters back in the 70's. They had them everywere, and by default, I saw them all the time on just about any product or peice of advertising that was out there.

-dave

• Solar Flare Foamer

My main point, however, has always been the authenticity the presence of the character has in the park. Whether Mulan's appearance in the park is a fabrication of Disney or not, it's not a great stretch to have a dark haired Chinese woman in traditional garb roaming that pavilion. I think I pointed out in a previous post that it was a matter of blending well with the environment that was most principle important to follow. The image of an Asian woman in a Kimono doesn't exactly ruin the authentic feel of China. But a giant-headed cartoon character can, and will, remind you that you really aren't where your supposed to be pretending you are. It's called loose theming.

I haven't directly mentioned Pooh, because overall, any cartoon character that requires a giant head and accessories disrupts the theming of any pavilion he's in regardless of his ties to that country.

Think of it this way. A swarthy skinned couple dressed as an ancient peasant and princess walking hand in hand through Morocco is less damaging to that pavilion's surroundings, then a big blue Robin Williams look alike or wisecracking parrot. A young Chinese woman in traditional Chinese dress only carries me further into the folklore and history of China, but a guy in a big, red fuzzy dragon suit with Eddie Murphy's wry sneer takes me someplace else entirely. A prim and proper British nanny in classic wardrobe of a bygone English century is certainly more reminiscent of England then a Giant Yellow Bear that I see on almost every shelf, on every product, in every department store I can think of in America.

What's most important, is not the lines that we can draw between each character and a country, but the impact that character has on the world each pavilion is trying to create. Even if we think one would fit, it's important to consider what the spirit of the Pavilion is. Not anything and everything Chinese, British, Canadian, or whathaveyou. But anything that contributes to the authenticity each section is trying to generate. I doubt that, had I taken a trip to the UK in any decade, I would have been regaled by visions of people in fuzzy, yellow bear suits.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast