Thread: Resorts

• The Mickey Follower

Question Resorts

Besides the pools, is there a real big difference between the All-Stars (& POP) vs. staying at one of the Moderate Resorts (Port Orleans, etc.)?

Service, rooms, etc.

• Banned User

No difference at all. Same room size, same lack of amenities, different decor. Both hotels are glorified Motel-6s in my opinion. However, the Pop is nicer in decor and better located (closer to MGM, EPCOT, DTD and I-4) than the All-Stars in the back of WDW's property will ever be.

• Mostly Harmless.

I have stayed at the Pop, All Star and Port Orleans. The room at the PO was deffinatley bigger and nicer. Other than that they were pretty much the same, resteraunts, gift shops, etc., etc. Port Orleans did have nicer grounds as well.
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

• The Mickey Follower

We stayed last year at the POP and I liked AllStars alot more. The drive back and forth seemed alot worse than going to AllStars.

• Uber Disney freak! O

The value resorts are likely to be a bit louder than the moderates, the rooms are smaller at values, and the decor and grounds are nicer at the moderates. Also, the two PO moderates have a boat to downtown Disney, and hmmmm, I think ALL of the moderates have boat rentals available. More amenities, basically.
    -Ann

WDW:
    July 1987 - offsite, 1-day visit to the MK; July-August 2000 - honeymoon - Port Orleans (now POFQ); May 2003 - Caribbean Beach Resort; Dec 2003 - Coronado Springs; April 2004 - Pop Century (PC) & POFQ; Sept 2004 - Animal Kingdom Lodge; May 2005 - Port Orleans Riverside; Sept 2005 - PC; Oct 2006 - POFQ; Apr 2007 - PC; July 2007 - Boardwalk Villas (WOO HOO! I was at WDW in the MK on the 20th anniversary of my first visit!); August - Sept 2007 - Old Key West; Sept 2007 - Saratoga Springs; Oct 2007 - BWV; Mar-Apr 2008 - SS

DLR:
    Dec 2001 - Grand Californian; Jan 2005 - GC; July 2005 - HoJo Anaheim & GC; Dec 2008 - Best Western Park Place Inn

p.s. Wanna buy a ?

The moderate are a HUGE step up from the values, which I find loud and tacky (the guests too). I get a kick out of the idea Disney even markets them as resorts when they are really motels with giant icons and bright colors.

The moderates transport you to another time/place and can be very, very relaxing. I've stayed at all of them many times over -- and while I love French Quarter the best by far, I can highly reccommend any of them. If you can at all swing the few extra dollars, you definitely should ... unless you are one of those people who doesn't care about food, a nice pool with jacuzzi etc ... and spends only five hours a day in the room to sleep.

value resorts are great for kids. When I go with the whole family, we stay at the values (prefer Pop over the all stars) since the nephews are young and really enjoy it. Otherwise, I stay at the deluxe or moderates depending on what the best rates are.

Last stay at Pop was last June and it was really clean and was nice for the value. All stars seem a little more run down to me and typically host the conventions like the cheerleading competitions. However, they have been around longer than Pop.
    "I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing...that it was all started by a mouse" o
    - Uncle Walt

• The Mickey Follower

ok.. I think we're going to go with a better resort... we're looking at the AK Lodge, Wilderness Lodge and Polyneisan. Any ideas on those three?

I know each has some things they do for the kids, etc..

• Uber Disney freak! O

Poly has the monorail, but for kids, I think the AKL is your best bet. First, there's the animals. Secondly, there are activities for the wee ones EVERY DAY at the hotel. The schedule is posted on the 1st floor near the bathrooms at the bottom of the stairs just outside Boma.
    -Ann

WDW:
    July 1987 - offsite, 1-day visit to the MK; July-August 2000 - honeymoon - Port Orleans (now POFQ); May 2003 - Caribbean Beach Resort; Dec 2003 - Coronado Springs; April 2004 - Pop Century (PC) & POFQ; Sept 2004 - Animal Kingdom Lodge; May 2005 - Port Orleans Riverside; Sept 2005 - PC; Oct 2006 - POFQ; Apr 2007 - PC; July 2007 - Boardwalk Villas (WOO HOO! I was at WDW in the MK on the 20th anniversary of my first visit!); August - Sept 2007 - Old Key West; Sept 2007 - Saratoga Springs; Oct 2007 - BWV; Mar-Apr 2008 - SS

DLR:
    Dec 2001 - Grand Californian; Jan 2005 - GC; July 2005 - HoJo Anaheim & GC; Dec 2008 - Best Western Park Place Inn

p.s. Wanna buy a ?

^^^Can't go wrong with any of the aforementioned three, but my faves are WL and AKL (I love them both and can't really pick one over the other. They were both designed by the same architect.). The Poly is great too, but much pricier, and is in the midst of a major renovation right now -- that likely means the rooms aren't ine the best of shape.