• Disney Addict

An overlay idea for DAK

My first post for 11 months lol.

As we all know, Disney Studios has the Star Wars Weekends overlay in May-Junetime and it's very popular.

If, and this is an ENORMOUS if, Disney were to acquire the Middle-Earth theme-park licence, as I think the theme park market is saturated at the mo, they could run a seasonal overlay of Animal Kingdom, aptly named Lord of the Rings weekends.

My ideas:
    First, the obligatory mass of costumed characters from the film. Things like orcs, soldiers, wizards etc. A LotR cavalcade could replace the AK parade during this time. Meet and greets could be set up around the park. Even some hobbits can be enlisted from the vertically-challenged.

Effects around the park will immerse you in Middle-Earth. Turn one corner and you could see the Stone Trolls. Take another path, and you could see a camp with various items of the Fellowship scattered around. In the entrance jungle-type path, there must be a cave with a waterfall. From outside you can here the recognisable "Precioussss...." and maybe a shape in the dark.

Ride overlays.Turn part of the Conservation Station into a movie exhibit, with props, costumes, miniatures, sound labs and probably a making-of film. Take an elven boat down the Discovery Island river. Maybe take a ride in Gandalf's cart.

Of course, Expedition Everest, the resident E-Ticket could be rethemed to "Expedition Erebor: Legend of the Lonely Mountain" . Give the yeti a small refurb and put in a Smaug. The cars could be Dwarven mining carts.

This overlay is inspired by Jim Hill Media's April Fools prank a couple of years ago, albeit more conservatively. Do you like it? Do you think it would boost attendance? Reply please.

• Dreaming of Disney World

Re: An overlay idea for DAK

Quote Originally Posted by Fun2BFree View Post
    My first post for 11 months lol.

As we all know, Disney Studios has the Star Wars Weekends overlay in May-Junetime and it's very popular.

If, and this is an ENORMOUS if, Disney were to acquire the Middle-Earth theme-park licence, as I think the theme park market is saturated at the mo, they could run a seasonal overlay of Animal Kingdom, aptly named Lord of the Rings weekends.

My ideas:
    First, the obligatory mass of costumed characters from the film. Things like orcs, soldiers, wizards etc. A LotR cavalcade could replace the AK parade during this time. Meet and greets could be set up around the park. Even some hobbits can be enlisted from the vertically-challenged.

Effects around the park will immerse you in Middle-Earth. Turn one corner and you could see the Stone Trolls. Take another path, and you could see a camp with various items of the Fellowship scattered around. In the entrance jungle-type path, there must be a cave with a waterfall. From outside you can here the recognisable "Precioussss...." and maybe a shape in the dark.

Ride overlays.Turn part of the Conservation Station into a movie exhibit, with props, costumes, miniatures, sound labs and probably a making-of film. Take an elven boat down the Discovery Island river. Maybe take a ride in Gandalf's cart.

Of course, Expedition Everest, the resident E-Ticket could be rethemed to "Expedition Erebor: Legend of the Lonely Mountain" . Give the yeti a small refurb and put in a Smaug. The cars could be Dwarven mining carts.

This overlay is inspired by Jim Hill Media's April Fools prank a couple of years ago, albeit more conservatively. Do you like it? Do you think it would boost attendance? Reply please.
    I think that would be great. I would go. I love the idea of the Expedition Erebor. That would be great. If Disney could acquire the theme park rights(I don't think it is possible, I think that if they were available someone would already have it) it would be great. The theming of AK is perfect for this type of overlay. Hmmm, I really hope all the big wigs at Disney are looking at this.

• The Darkness to Light

Re: An overlay idea for DAK

What are you guys on?! The theme of DAK is not perfect or even close to something that is appropriate for a LOTR or even a Narnia overlay!

Oh, sure, it has lush scenery and a mountain coaster you could capitalize on, but there is no reason to just plop LOTR in the middle of it. At least not any more since they apparently scrapped the Beast Island area where we were suppose to see a dragon and what have you.

If that area was built, I would have no objections to this as long as it stayed in that area of the park. However, it is not there, and as such your Narnia or LOTRs weekends are best suited for the stuido parks if not Fantasyland Castle and the immediate surrounding area of said castle.

Putting something like this into DAK is like trying to Star Tours in Future World. It fits the scenery, but it doesn't fit the overall theme.