Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

why close Epcot's Wonders of Life?

i have read on these boards several times how WOL needs to be bulldozed and something else replace it. but I disagree. This would be the perfect pavilion for educating young people about healthy living and eating right. I know we have the land but this could complement the land. You could bring back mousersizing and have an area talking about the right kind of excersize. you could also have an area talking about the right things to eat and the myths of what is good and what isn't. the fab five could be integrated all over the place. cranium cammand could be updated, but i would get rid of the making of me. I would get rid of body wars just not sure what i would change it to. maybe something like body wars but showing all the bad things that can happen to you. ie heart disease and lungs full of tar and nicotine. there really are lots of things you can do with the space that are relevant to today's kids. I just would hate for disney to just bulldoze it. besides what would you put in it's place?

• If We Can Dream It...

Re: why close WOL?

I like the idea but, the current pavilion is way too outdated. I don't know that the pavilion needs to be demolished but it needs some updates.

This is what I said in my EP 25 idea thread (just yesterday!):

Don't Get me wrong, I love Cranium Command & WOL but, a change needs to come. (Anyone seen Alien: Resurection? WOL is sort of like that mutated Sigorne Weaver, it's begging to be put out of it's misery.) Epcot rides need to be changed or, preferably, just updated every 10 years or sooner. With that, WOL should of been updated way back in '99. Of course, I'm sure the money that would of went toward it being updated went towards the millenium crap.

Everything has its time and WOL's is up. If no one is willing to sponsor this pavilion and it's theme, maybe, WDI should just come up with a new concept or revive an old one (wink, wink, nudge, nudge). I don't really care, something needs to be done with it, that space should be home to a quality, entertaining, informative, and up-to-date pavilion.
    - Horizonsfan

• Mouse Lounge Podcast Host

It's mostly about $$$, and a chicken or the egg situation. In order to update it, the pavilion needs a sponsor, but in order to attract a sponsor the pavilion needs to be updated. Ack! IMHO, Disney needs to eat the expense and create a gate buster attraction back there to supplant the pavilion. Isn't it ironic that the deadest area of the park is called, "Wonders of Life?"

• Banned User

just update it without a sponsor like they did with the seas. I think the seas with nemo is a big hit and the kids learn about sea and creatures like bruce and crush and enjoy seeing the fish besides nemo. and guess what disney spent their own money to do it! Oh my! they are done with that one so they can now work on WOL.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: why close Epcot's Wonders of Life?

ADMIN NOTE: Thread title has been changed to reflect the full name of the attraction. WOL = Wonder's of Life (a mostly closed pavilion at Walt Disney World's Epcot)
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Pilot EdForceOne

Maybe they should get sponsers like TrimSpa and Slimfast to talk about the body

Sometimes gutting/trashing a place is the most effective way to emphasis the 'new'. If the building doesn't fit the theme, it simply holds it back.

This place needs to go. It was weak when it was new. The local science center offered a better experience (sans the motion sim of course.. which wasn't all that great anyways).

• time to go

Ditch the health & wellness theme. Folks vacationing at WDW are going to eat garbage junk food for the most part (it's everywhere), and a pavilion dissing their Disney Dining Plan meal selections will bring on the guilts. Not fun.

I'd like to see WoL stripped bare. Sell the Body Wars simulators to HKDL for Star Tours for some extra cash. And sign up one or two sponsors like Honda for an interactive pavilion about robots, using the WALL*E characters as guides for the inevitable Pixar tie-in.

On the main floor, interactive learning stations will explain the basics of robotics. Guests of all ages can sign-up for mini-classes to 'customize' small robots and then compete with them in a small arena, a la Discovery Channel's Robot Wars (but without the carnage). And the old Body Wars show building area in the back can house in a new dual-version (thrill or family-friendly) Kuka robocoaster attraction where the ride system takes center stage and becomes an integral part of the show.

This would help to bolster the tween market that Disney finds so difficult to pull into Epcot. And using WALL*E as the tie-in would help push that film's merchandise.

An Epcot pavilion about robots? Seems like a no-brainer to me.

"Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyDriveBy View Post
    On the main floor, interactive learning stations will explain the basics of robotics. Guests of all ages can sign-up for mini-classes to 'customize' small robots and then compete with them in a small arena, a la Discovery Channel's Robot Wars (but without the carnage)
    This is already done 'electronically' in Innovations. People learn about plastics.. customize a robot.. and then race them with physical interaction food pads (like DDR pads)

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    This is already done 'electronically' in Innovations. People learn about plastics.. customize a robot.. and then race them with physical interaction food pads (like DDR pads)
    Do it for real. Real robots. Racing in a real arena, like the old Thimble Drome in DL. Similar to agility courses for dogs. Agility course for robots. It would be very popular.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

Ditch the health & wellness theme. Folks vacationing at WDW are going to eat garbage junk food for the most part (it's everywhere), and a pavilion dissing their Disney Dining Plan meal selections will bring on the guilts. Not fun.

I'd like to see WoL stripped bare. Sell the Body Wars simulators to HKDL for Star Tours for some extra cash. And sign up one or two sponsors like Honda for an interactive pavilion about robots, using the WALL*E characters as guides for the inevitable Pixar tie-in.

On the main floor, interactive learning stations will explain the basics of robotics. Guests of all ages can sign-up for mini-classes to 'customize' small robots and then compete with them in a small arena, a la Discovery Channel's Robot Wars (but without the carnage). And the old Body Wars show building area in the back can house in a new dual-version (thrill or family-friendly) Kuka robocoaster attraction where the ride system takes center stage and becomes an integral part of the show.

This would help to bolster the tween market that Disney finds so difficult to pull into Epcot. And using WALL*E as the tie-in would help push that film's merchandise.

An Epcot pavilion about robots? Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Robots? Really? I can see that being part of something, but not the focus. As a person that works with tweens, not very many of them that I have worked with have shown an interest in that direction. Not that I have any better ideas at this moment, but I actually enjoy the health/fitness focus at that pavillion. The idea itself is good (human body, science, medicine, etc), it's the execution that needs work.
    ~~~~~~~
    Diana

• Pilot EdForceOne

Do it for real. Real robots. Racing in a real arena, like the old Thimble Drome in DL. Similar to agility courses for dogs. Agility course for robots. It would be very popular.
    Capacity though. Even this electronic version in Innovations today has a very low through-rate and takes upwards of 30mins to complete.. even with no line.

• Banned User

The problem with Wonders of Life is how dated it already is... This became painfully obvious during my recent visit there in december.

• SpitSpot!

Just once I would like to go to Epcot and finf WOL actually open
    I have never been in it. But that is a host of other issues...
    "First of all I would like to make one thing perfectly clear.
    I never explain anything." Mary Poppins
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/26132873@N00/

Whatever the case, I'd like to have the chance to see Body Wars just one more time!

• Mouse Extra Dave

I think this one's a goner. What is so strange is that there are no rumors of anyone lining up to use the spot. Even if they gut it and install a gatebuster, you would think we'd at least have some rumors
    "You are not the first to pass this way..."
    Mouse Extra
    feeding the Disney addiction daily
    http://www.mouseextra.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast