Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

Test Track or World of Motion

For those who have been on both rides (I have not), which would you rather have - Test Track or World of Motion? Was World of Motion outdated and in need of replacement, or was this substitution unnecessary? Thanks in advance!

• Collision speed....FULL!

Re: Test Track or World of Motion

I don't get why they took out a ride for a new one, why not have both (or Disney World running out of room?)

• Banned User

What was World of Motion like?

• Jambo!

One of the main reasons the took out World of Motion was not space or complete lack of interest, but mostly a sponsorship thing. GM, which sponsored World of Motion, which was a ride that showed through the history of motion and vehicles.

Think of it somewhat like Spaceship Earth as it does the hostory of Communications and you have a basic idea of what World of Motion was. Anywho, I believe GM wanted something a little more exciting compared to just seeing the history of it all and wanted a more hands on approach. Hence, Test Track came about.

Now as to which I prefer better, I think World of Motion fit Epcot's theme better, but as a ride, Test Track is obviously more thrilling, but has a tendency to break down (I think it has one of the highest breakdown averages on property). But when Test Track is working, it is a very exciting and unique experience, so my votes for Test Track

Blog Entries

I don't mind having World of Motion gone for Test Track. While I enjoyed WoM, I do enjoy Test Track a bit more. What makes me sad is WoM and Horizons both being gone. I think I could have handled one or the other leaving for their replacement but having both of them gone makes Epcot a completely different park from EPCOT Center. The last remaining animatronic ride that makes it feel like old school Epcot is SSE. At least its getting some TLC.

As much as I liked World of Motion, I think that Test Track is a better fit to today's audiences. I'm not too fond of the way that education was brought to a minimum, but I could see this attraction sparking someone's interest in the automotive, or even the transportation industry. It is a unique attraction, the outside loop is still a wonderful experience, especially at night. While I would like Disney to go back to using some Audio Animatronics in their attractions, I think that the use of a family-thrill-ride is a valid substitute.
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

• Banned User

Wom was boring and way too much like Spaceship earth. Test track is exciting and puts the rider in the middle of the action. no question Test track is better to me

I vote for Test Track!
    When I was little, I remember World of Motion being so boring.
    - Larisa

Everybody neat and pretty? Then, on with the show! -MMC

• If We Can Dream It...

It would be really nice if they could build a shortened version of it in the space in between M:S & TT. TT & WOM are basically polar opposites of each other in every way and it would really be nice if they had both.

Of course, I would take Horizons over it any day!
    - Horizonsfan

• Minion

Thanks for the replies - I'm glad to hear that overall, in this case at least, the replacement was better than the original.

The other decisions at Epcot baffle me though. Why replace Journey Into Imagination with an inferior copy of itself? That ride, for me, was the one true classic among the initial batch of Epcot rides. Also, why build Mission Space over something nice, like Horizons, when something very boring (Universe of Energy, appreciated only for its dinosaurs) is right next door?

To anyone who is not aware of it, full length videos of World of Motion, Horizons, and Journey Into Imagination (in 3 parts) can be seen on YouTube. The loss of JII, especially, is very unfortunate. Maybe someday Disney will come to its senses and restore this wonderful ride without alterations.

• World Traveler

Thanks for the post ... now I have "It's fun to be free" playing in my head!

Blog Entries

Wom was boring and way too much like Spaceship earth. Test track is exciting and puts the rider in the middle of the action. no question Test track is better to me
    There were a couple of parts of WOM that I really enjoyed.

1. The initial loading could be seen as you approached the pavilion as the first part of the ride had the omnimovers outside before they circled into the main ride. When on the ride you had a beautiful view of SSE and Horizons from that point.

I've always enjoyed rides like that where you got a brief hint of people enjoying the ride. It always built the anticipation for me as a kid. Test Track has a bit of a throw back to that (although I don't know if it was intentional or not) with the outside speed test.

2. The final scene where you went through the massive room and around the huge city of tomorrow is still cool to me today no matter how many times I see it on video. I'd love to be able to relive that scene today however.

---

While I enjoyed WOM I can see why it was replaced since there were so many aa heavy rides in Epcot which were hard to maintain well and to many guests just felt like a repeat of the others. I just hate, as I said earlier, having to lose both WOM and Horizons. WOM doesn't bother me so much, but there's not a time that I visit Epcot that I don't look over where Horizons used to be and feel a bit sad.

Blog Entries

Thought I'd post some pictures of WOM for those who never saw it that I found online.

The original World of Motion logo

This picture shows the front of the building where you can see the ride as you walk up.

The view of SSE from that outside portion of the WOM ride

The World's First Traffic Jam

I can't find any picture of the big city of tomorrow portion. If anyone has any or can find any online I'd love to see that as well.
    Last edited by kcnole; 02-21-2007 at 06:15 AM.

• Banned User

World of Motion.

Test track is this bare bones thrill ride that gets boring after a ride or two. World of Motion was richely themed, full of AA's and sight gags and such.

I would love for them to replace TT with a new ride that is thrilling but has the AA's and theming of WOM.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

While I am not a fan of Test Track myself...it has become what Disney wanted, a family thrill ride that years later still packs in a full queue. It and Soarin give EPCOT a decent set of e-tickets that don't shut out as many riders as say Everest. It was a smart addition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast